PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] unity launcher

don762003
August 26th, 2011, 08:45 PM
Is there any way to disable the unity launcher completely but keep the unity panel up there?

Frogs Hair
August 26th, 2011, 09:58 PM
You may be out of luck , it is possible remove the Global menu from the top panel , but I fond nothing about the launcher . I assumed you want the top panel because of the global menu .

don762003
August 27th, 2011, 02:04 PM
Yeah, I like the global menu. I just think the launcher sucks.

Frogs Hair
August 27th, 2011, 02:13 PM
There is a global menu PPA for 10.10 which I used and liked better than the one in Unity . This PPA was never updated for 11.04 Ubuntu Classic , I think because Unity came with a global menu .http://www.webupd8.org/2010/11/install-gnome2-globalmenu-in-ubuntu.html

Krytarik
August 27th, 2011, 05:43 PM
You can also enable the Global Menu in classic Gnome, and there shouldn't be much of a difference from those in Unity, if any. See here how to enable it:

http://www.tuxgarage.com/2011/05/disable-enable-global-menu-natty.html

And, apart from this, there are also some options to purportedly hide the Unity Launcher forever, but I don't remember the details right now. If interested in this way, just search these forums for it.

Greetings.

wildmanne39
August 27th, 2011, 05:54 PM
Hi, there is not a perfect way to do it,but I followed this set of instructions and it stays hidden almost all the time it will only opens when I hit the super key or move my mouse all the way to the top left screen. )

In the Unity plugin, set Reveal to Auto hide and the Reveal edge to None or Disabled. Screenshot shows that the edges are disabled so that it will not open ,you can tell because all around the little window it is in red, if it was set to open when the mouse was moved to the edge it would be in green. You do have to have ccsm installed to change unity plugin settings.

I am including a screenshot. I also discovered I can put my awn dock on the left of the screen right on top of the unity dock if I want to, however as far as I know you can not remove it.

Please do not change any other setting in ccsm or disable the unity plug in.