PDA

View Full Version : With that, this thread is closed.

ninjaaron
August 26th, 2011, 08:20 PM
As someone who ends up participating in a lot of threads that get closed (it wasn't me officer, I swear...) I've noticed that the mod/staffer/admin will often post such a message as the last of a thread, sometimes quoting the previous message, sometimes not.

Today, I've seen three different threads closed by three different moderators with this line.

I'm curious as to whether this is standard UF protocol, or all the mods have just naturally gravitated toward this catchphrase.

Thewhistlingwind
August 26th, 2011, 08:34 PM
I think its the latter.

As a person who reports many threads to be closed, I see a similar pattern.

forrestcupp
August 26th, 2011, 08:36 PM
I think its the latter.

As a person who reports many threads to be closed, I see a similar pattern.

Wow! So you're admitting it's your fault. :)

jwbrase
August 26th, 2011, 08:54 PM
I'm wondering if this thread will end up ending with that phrase...

Oxwivi
August 26th, 2011, 08:56 PM
While we are on topic, why don't we turn this thread into a collection of closing statements? Post all the closing posts you find, peeps!

KUU
August 26th, 2011, 09:04 PM
I'm curious as to whether this is standard UF protocol, or all the mods have just naturally gravitated toward this catchphrase.

copy n paste is easier than trying to justify why you closed a thread.

Frogs Hair
August 26th, 2011, 09:16 PM
The last thread I saw closed began with " I converted someone to Ubuntu today " and ended with a reference to regurgitating into ones own mouth . No surprise that it was closed .

akand074
August 26th, 2011, 09:22 PM
http://ubuntuforums.org/search.php?searchid=82660958

haha... there's a nice few lines

That's correct. Thread closed.
With that, this thread is closed.
Enough endless questions....Thread Closed
Closed at op request.
On that note thread closed. :)
Back to sleep thread. Thread closed.
Thread closed. Please don't create duplicate threads
this thread has reached an end Closed

ninjaaron
August 26th, 2011, 09:23 PM
I believe I was involved in that.

cgroza
August 26th, 2011, 09:25 PM
I believe I was involved in that.
You should try your luck in "Are you a thread killer" in Cafe Games.:P

akand074
August 26th, 2011, 09:27 PM
You should try your luck in "Are you a thread killer" in Cafe Games.:P

HAHAHAHA

the one to kill that thread permanently will be the king thread killer

ninjaaron
August 26th, 2011, 09:34 PM
I don't try to get threads closed. I just write what I'm thinking and threads disappear. I guess not everyone's humor is developed enough to appreciate jokes about the wonders of the human body, it's methods of expulsion, and the content thereof.

akand074
August 26th, 2011, 09:40 PM
A conversation megathread should be made and hidden deep within the Ubuntu forums. Where no rules exist, completely unmoderated. Where some enter the thread and are never seen of again :O

XubuRoxMySox
August 26th, 2011, 09:42 PM
lol, then there are threads that go on and on - threads that would ordinarily have just died a natural death. I think one such thread is being "kept on life support" just to see how long it can go on! You would think they would have run out of things to say about My Little Pony by now after all this time, lol. But it's kinda fun to see how long a silly thread can be kept going, then compare it to a not-so-silly thread that gets closed before it has run it's course.

And with that....

(next poster add to the sentence)

Thewhistlingwind
August 26th, 2011, 09:46 PM
And with that....

this thread goes on.

cariboo
August 26th, 2011, 09:56 PM
A conversation megathread should be made and hidden deep within the Ubuntu forums. Where no rules exist, completely unmoderated. Where some enter the thread and are never seen of again :O

There is no such place here. :)

Thewhistlingwind
August 26th, 2011, 09:58 PM

For some reason, that reminds me of a goosebumps novel where the protagonist is stuck in a black and white world (Like an old silent movie.) because a magician took a photo of them.

3Miro
August 26th, 2011, 10:00 PM

Or so you would have us believe. Your denial is proof to the contrary.

akand074
August 26th, 2011, 10:01 PM

There just might actually be such a place. Just when you find out you're there, it's already too late...

ninjaaron
August 26th, 2011, 10:31 PM
There just might actually be such a place. Just when you find out you're there, it's already too late...

Might actually be possible to get away with something like this for a while in some weird place like the Sudan LoCo board or something.

Oxwivi
August 26th, 2011, 10:35 PM
And you think the LoCo members would leave it alone?

Thewhistlingwind
August 26th, 2011, 10:38 PM
Might actually be possible to get away with something like this for a while in some weird place like the Sudan LoCo board or something.

The jail ;)

If you had posting privileges, it would only be possible to get in by hyperlink.

(I know because theres been glitches that got me partially inside the jail.)

ninjaaron
August 26th, 2011, 10:39 PM
And you think the LoCo members would leave it alone?

Depends how active they are. I'm sure some of those boards are maintained by one guy who has lost interest. I'm sure it would get caught eventually, but, just for a little while, It would just be a "safe place" to talk about religion, politics, excrement, and to heap personal abuse on each other.

That thought gives me hope.

:D

Porcini M.
August 26th, 2011, 10:57 PM
While we are on topic, why don't we turn this thread into a collection of closing statements? Post all the closing posts you find, peeps!

btdt:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1425806

uRock
August 26th, 2011, 10:59 PM
Depends how active they are. I'm sure some of those boards are maintained by one guy who has lost interest. I'm sure it would get caught eventually, but, just for a little while, It would just be a "safe place" to talk about religion, politics, excrement, and to heap personal abuse on each other.

That thought gives me hope.

:DWe'll catch you :twisted:

NightwishFan
August 26th, 2011, 11:05 PM
I know for a fact they would due to personal experience. :p Not that I have any interest in talking about politics or being rude (well more than I usually am).

lisati
August 26th, 2011, 11:07 PM
For some reason, that reminds me of a goosebumps novel where the protagonist is stuck in a black and white world (Like an old silent movie.) because a magician took a photo of them.

Aaargh! While contemplating a reference to the Twilight Zone, which might have covered a similar story once, and the possibility of closing old threads with "May this thread rest in pieces", I got "Sorry, this forum is not accepting new posts at the moment." Didn't think to get a screen shot..... sorry about that!

Thewhistlingwind
August 26th, 2011, 11:27 PM
Aaargh! While contemplating a reference to the Twilight Zone, which might have covered a similar story once, and the possibility of closing old threads with "May this thread rest in pieces", I got "Sorry, this forum is not accepting new posts at the moment." Didn't think to get a screen shot..... sorry about that!

I went and looked it up.

My guess would be that the novel is #59 from the original series:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goosebumps_%28original_series%29#The%20Haunted%20S chool

KiwiNZ
August 27th, 2011, 05:14 AM
With this , that and another thing this thread is closed