PDA

View Full Version : kubuntu merchandise

natman
August 26th, 2011, 03:07 PM
Hi,
I like my Kubuntu, and in the past the ubuntu shop used to offer Kubuntu stuff ( i have a t shirt and stickers ). But for the last while there has been zero new stuff they just seem to be selling off the old stock in the "sale".
Where can i support Kubuntu by buying kubuntu merchandise? Wish they would bring it back to the shop.

LowSky
August 26th, 2011, 03:26 PM
I really think the folks over at Canonical are kinda putting all there eggs into Ubuntu now. With Unity, the Mp3 store, and Ubuntu One, the derivitives are getting shoved to the side.

natman
August 26th, 2011, 03:40 PM
:(

XubuRoxMySox
August 26th, 2011, 04:12 PM
I really think the folks over at Canonical are kinda putting all there eggs into Ubuntu now. With Unity, the Mp3 store, and Ubuntu One, the derivitives are getting shoved to the side.

I don't think that's really true, at least I hope not! But I do know that Xubuntu is a separately developed derivative and is doing just fine. Ubu and Kubu are both "more directly" developed by Canonical than Xubu and Lubu. Ubu and Kubu are "supported derivatives" where the two younger siblings are "unsupported." This was explained in a little history lesson from Charlie Kravetz, the current Xubuntu Team Leader. He wrote:

When Mark Shuttleworth started to build a new linux operating system in
2004, he did not know if he would base it on KDE or Gnome, the two
desktop environments most popular at the time. Xfce as a desktop environment was very young and unknown. Since he, as the only financial backer of the new operating system, wanted to be able to use either of
the environments known to be stable, he hired both Kubuntu and Ubuntu developers.

In 2006, a developer named Jani Monoses started a derivative of Ubuntu that would be lighter in resources and use the Xfce desktop environment. That derivative was released as Xubuntu 6.06 and was the
first official release of Xubuntu. Jani has since moved on to create Kiwi, a derivative of Ubuntu for Romanians, and is working with the Ubuntu ARM team.

As an supported, official derivative of Ubuntu, Kubuntu has paid developers.

Having paid developers for Kubuntu, I would think it might be less likely to suffer being "shoved aside" than the unsupported derivatives. Both of which are doing very well right now.

pennadl
September 5th, 2011, 06:17 PM
Take a look to http://www.unixstickers.com if you're interested to kubuntu-ubuntu (or others) stickers.

Zlatan
September 5th, 2011, 08:31 PM
:(

Well, if you want to support Kubuntu by cash from stickers, why don't you sell your own design stickers and give some cash to Kubuntu?;)

sffvba[e0rt
September 5th, 2011, 10:56 PM
Pity it seems that it is the old Kubuntu version of the logo... I do indeed enjoy the new one (the new Ubuntu one too)..