PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] can I still install firefox 4 by ppa,now?

keepinmind
August 26th, 2011, 10:20 AM
I add the ppa:mozillateam/firefox-stable,but there's only 6.0,I wanna install ff 4.how can I do it ?
I also find thatff would save video in /home/usrername/.mozilla/firefox/x/cache but 6.0 can't easily find the video ,cause there's so many file ,I 'm not sure where's the video located,so how can I solve it?

apacketofsweets
August 26th, 2011, 10:24 AM
Have a look through Firefox's FTP archives, there are old versions there somewhere.

LowSky
August 26th, 2011, 11:58 AM
No idea why you would want to use an older version? 6 is more up to date especially in security and less memory leaks.

lovinglinux
August 26th, 2011, 01:24 PM
Firefox 4 reached end-of-life with the release of FF 5, which in turn reached end-of-life with the release of FF 6. Is not recommended to use it, because it won't get any security patches, unless you upgrade to the latest version.

You can't install it via ppa. Only if you download from Mozilla and install it manually.

I would recommend trying Firefox 7.0b1. You can get it from the firefox-next ppa. See Firefox 4, 5 & Beyond Mega Thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1712247).

keepinmind
August 27th, 2011, 02:11 AM
Firefox 4 reached end-of-life with the release of FF 5, which in turn reached end-of-life with the release of FF 6. Is not recommended to use it, because it won't get any security patches, unless you upgrade to the latest version.

You can't install it via ppa. Only if you download from Mozilla and install it manually.

I would recommend trying Firefox 7.0b1. You can get it from the firefox-next ppa. See Firefox 4, 5 & Beyond Mega Thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1712247).

Got it!

could you explain why I can't find the video in cache as I used to do .there is so many sub folder in cache folder and that made me confused severely. I searched the problem ,however ,it seems to be impossible to find the video simply while firefox 3.x easily and quickly.how do you get the video ,the add-on or video download software? I really prefer not to use either

lovinglinux
August 27th, 2011, 05:02 AM
Got it!

could you explain why I can't find the video in cache as I used to do .there is so many sub folder in cache folder and that made me confused severely. I searched the problem ,however ,it seems to be impossible to find the video simply while firefox 3.x easily and quickly.how do you get the video ,the add-on or video download software? I really prefer not to use either

That's the way flash caches the videos now. The best add-on is Video Download Helper (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/3006/). Keep in mind that it might be against the EULA of some services to download the video.

keepinmind
August 27th, 2011, 07:31 AM
That's the way flash caches the videos now. The best add-on is Video Download Helper (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/3006/). Keep in mind that it might be against the EULA of some services to download the video.
I'd better use ff 3.x .video Download helper really doesn't suit me.I wonder why nobody notice the problem.

lovinglinux
August 27th, 2011, 07:45 AM
I'd better use ff 3.x .video Download helper really doesn't suit me.I wonder why nobody notice the problem.

There are plenty of threads asking about the cache location, some even have scripts to retrieve videos. If you do a search you might find it.

Keep in mind that most likely Firefox 3.6.x won't be supported much longer.

keepinmind
August 27th, 2011, 08:51 AM
There are plenty of threads asking about the cache location, some even have scripts to retrieve videos. If you do a search you might find it.

Keep in mind that most likely Firefox 3.6.x won't be supported much longer.

Not really.I did my search almost one day but can't find any solution at present.Perhaps,it come to the time I should change the browser.

Thank you very much,lovinglinux,kind and patient