PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Problem installing ubuntu win.7 on sep. drives

turomixo
August 26th, 2011, 02:49 AM
I had first tried using an old hard drive laying around. I ran ubuntu off of the CD. I used sudo gparted , and deleted all partitions on it. Then I formated to ext4.

The drive appears in both bios, windows and ubuntu, but when I try and install ubuntu, the drive doesn't show up at all. Even after disconnecting my windows HD. So I gave up on it, and I instead installed on my external USB drive.

I disconnected the HD with windows 7 on it, and installed ubuntu to the USB HDD. It worked fine, and it boots up on startup. But, when I plug in my windows HD, ubuntu will not boot. The HD is recognized in bios, but no matter which HD I boot off of it, windows starts right up. When I disable my windows HD, in bios, but leave connected, and then boot from my external HD, I get an error that there is no bootable media.

So basically, Ubuntu boots off of my external HD, but only when my other HD is disconnected.

I have an Asus sabertooth P67 motherboard, windows 7, mybook external HD, and am installing ubuntu 10.10.

I'm excited about using ubuntu, any help would be appreciated.

Hakunka-Matata
August 26th, 2011, 03:05 AM
Welcome to the forums.
Is your Ubuntu install partition on the USB HDD marked with the boot flag? That may make a difference as dictated by your computer's BIOS firmware. Normally that would not be a problem, but I have seen in these forums cases where it did play a role.

oldfred
August 26th, 2011, 05:14 AM
With everything plugged in from a Ubuntu liveCD run this:

Boot Info Script courtesy of forum members meierfra & Gert Hulselmans
Page with instructions and download:
http://bootinfoscript.sourceforge.net/
Paste contents of results.txt in a New Reply, then highlight entire file and click on # in edit panel(code tags) to make it easier to read.
Or You can generate the tags first by pressing the # icon in the New Reply Edit toolbar and then paste the contents between the generated [ code] paste here [ /code] tags.
V60 has improved formating and requires code tags to make it legible. New Version is a zip file that you have to extract to get .sh to run.

Are drives IDE, SATA or mixed?