PDA

View Full Version : Linux os how long have you been using it ?

trixman
August 26th, 2011, 01:47 AM
just wanted to ask the question to all the forum members.

how long have you been using the LInux os ??

for me i have been a user for about 5 years
:P

cgroza
August 26th, 2011, 01:48 AM
I think this is my 3rd year.

XubuRoxMySox
August 26th, 2011, 01:48 AM
Two years (http://robinsrantsandraves.wordpress.com/2011/07/15/two-years-of-liberating-linux-lessons-learned/), exclusively!

KiwiNZ
August 26th, 2011, 01:49 AM
around 18 years

ninjaaron
August 26th, 2011, 01:50 AM
I think this is my 3rd year.

I think the same about me.

Thewhistlingwind
August 26th, 2011, 01:51 AM
1 and a half.

I think Ubuntu is really making a difference in the Linux ecosystem.

A positive one.

apacketofsweets
August 26th, 2011, 01:51 AM
Around three years, although I did experiment with it on occasions before that.

NightwishFan
August 26th, 2011, 01:53 AM
Around five years.

ilovelinux33467
August 26th, 2011, 01:54 AM
this is my 7th year.

desnaike
August 26th, 2011, 01:58 AM
6yrs windows free.

imortalninja161
August 26th, 2011, 01:59 AM
1 Year but i am only younge so dont judge me lol i knew no othere way XD

nerdopolis
August 26th, 2011, 01:59 AM
Its been around 5 years for me as well..

djheadley
August 26th, 2011, 02:01 AM
I've been using Ubuntu since 4.10 - I think that was what the release was called.

IWantFroyo
August 26th, 2011, 02:01 AM
Two or three years. Hard to keep track.

ninjaaron
August 26th, 2011, 02:11 AM
1 Year but i am only younge so dont judge me lol i knew no othere way XD

It's weird comments like this and the kinds of things teenagers post on facebook that make us judge them!

The only thing people will judge based on the amount of time using the system is your level of expertise, which has some validity.

[edit] I also judge when I can't see the ends of sentences in writing. I'm no titan of punctuation or spelling, but at least have the decency to mark where a thought begins and ends, for the love!

F.G.
August 26th, 2011, 02:13 AM
first tried it about 3.5 years ago? but been using ubuntu (and ubutnu based distros) for the last 2 years as my main OS.
although just recently i've been using windows quite alot (for one specific purpose).

Triblaze
August 26th, 2011, 02:18 AM
I'd been using it on my dad's computer for a year or two, but I got my own laptop eight months ago and have been using Ubuntu on it.

So eight months of actually using it and trying stuff out in it, I just used my dad's for the internet.

Thewhistlingwind
August 26th, 2011, 02:20 AM
It's weird comments like this and the kinds of things teenagers post on facebook that make us judge them!

No, but more seriously.

The #1 step to being accepted in online communities: (Before you do anything else.)

Is to use spellcheck, and slowly improve your grammar parser over time. Be sure to make an effort to correct mistakes.

It helps, every bit helps.

ninjaaron
August 26th, 2011, 02:24 AM
No, but more seriously.

The #1 step to being accepted in online communities: (Before you do anything else.)

Is to use spellcheck, and slowly improve your grammar parser over time. Be sure to make an effort to correct mistakes.

It helps, every bit helps.

You read my mind.

I still make weird mistakes though (normally from changing half of a sentence, but forgetting to change the other half, since I write a lot of phrases a few times before I'm satisfied with them).

Old_Grey_Wolf
August 26th, 2011, 02:26 AM
Speaking strictly for my personal use, excluding work, and supporting friends and family. I have used it since about 1998; however, it has not been my preferred OS until about 2004. I felt that in 2004 Linux had finally become useful and configurable for those of us that were not computer enthusiasts. We had Debian, Ubuntu, CentOS, Mandrake, DSL, Puppy, PCLinuxOS, Fedora Core, Gentoo, Arch, SLAX, and others to choose from. Today, my preferred Linux based OSes are Debian, Ubuntu, and CentOS. Yes, three different Linux based OSes with different combinations of release cycles (rolling, fixed, and whenever it's ready), and repositories/update applications (YUM vs APT).

XubuRoxMySox
August 26th, 2011, 02:29 AM
The only thing people will judge based on the amount of time using the system is your level of expertise, which has some validity.

Maybe that depends on the content of that experience. My own experience with K/X/Ubuntu has been so trouble-free that I gained very little "Linux knowledge" from using them. It wasn't until I explored a few more distros that my experience took on a little substance.

It's like the difference between "two years' experience" and "two days' experience repeated 728 times."

standingwave
August 26th, 2011, 02:46 AM
Since 8.04.

ninjaaron
August 26th, 2011, 02:57 AM
which has some validity.
some validity.

Maybe that depends on the content of that experience. My own experience with K/X/Ubuntu has been so trouble-free that I gained very little "Linux knowledge" from using them. It wasn't until I explored a few more distros that my experience took on a little substance.

It's like the difference between "two years' experience" and "two days' experience repeated 728 times."

I realize that computer geeks have the need to qualify and define everything to the nth degree. I do it too. We'll make it through this.

christoph411
August 26th, 2011, 02:57 AM
Since 9.04. :)

lovinglinux
August 26th, 2011, 03:16 AM
3 years and 4 days

Khakilang
August 26th, 2011, 03:19 AM
Should be 2 and half years by now. Started with 8.10 for a short while when 9.04 was about to be release. Been upgrading to the latest version since.

fenian
August 26th, 2011, 05:23 AM
13 Years

5 years as a hobby/something to do with spare computers (1998-2003)

8 years as my primary operating system (2003-2011)

cariboo
August 26th, 2011, 05:38 AM
I bought my first boxed copy of RedHat in 1998, and have been using a Linux distro ever since.

Famicube64
August 26th, 2011, 06:06 AM
2 years, 9 months, 3 weeks, 5 days

1029 days

Not exclusively. I can't stand Linux for anything but tinkering.

Kexolino
August 26th, 2011, 06:37 AM
A bit more than a year. That wasn't my first encounter with it though... Some time ago my family had a dual boot machine with XP and Suse on it. Very basically I knew how to use it, but at that time I was mostly just playing, so it didn't get much love.:KS Then about two years ago I installed 8.04 on an old Thinkpad R51, but about a month later the display died, so there was no Linux for me until I put it on my desktop machine.

ralanyo
August 26th, 2011, 06:41 AM
This is my 5th year. It was difficult for me to use it exclusively in the beginning because I was so reliant on windows, but about 3 year ago I went Ubuntu exclusive.

JDShu
August 26th, 2011, 07:01 AM
7 years, 2 years as my main OS.

netJackDaw
August 26th, 2011, 07:57 AM
14 years, being more and more independant for every day of use.

koxx.dta
August 26th, 2011, 10:31 AM
2 weeks.....and going

greenfrog
August 26th, 2011, 11:04 AM
About 20 years

kaldor
August 26th, 2011, 11:19 AM
Started with Ubuntu 7.10 (XP and Vista drove me absolutely insane with too many problems) and used that exclusely until Ubuntu 9.10, when a family member got a Mac. I used the Mac very frequently since they were not using it very much and I wanted to learn OS X very well. Not on my own PC, but I used OS X enough to be no longer "exclusive" to Ubuntu.

When I bought a new PC this past July I needed Windows 7; a college course requires certain software which only runs on Windows. So, I dual booted. I barely touched Windows 7 until a few days ago, where I find myself using it more and more. Not that it's better than Linux for me, but it's actually usable and doesn't make me die inside the way previous Windows OS's do. Plus, I am in love with Windows 7's dock-like taskbar which currently beats OS X and Ubuntu's docks without a second thought.

I currently use Ubuntu 11.04 (Desktop with a Win7 dual boot), Fedora 15 (Laptop), Scientific Linux 6 (on my USB stick), and FreeBSD 9 (game server). Most of my time is shared between Ubuntu and Fedora.

That all said, I think hardware compatibility on modern hardware is no longer an issue on Linux these days. When I was at the store, the guy there let me boot a LiveUSB on any PC I chose to check out (he was a Mepis user) and to my surprise, wireless, audio, visual effects, etc, all worked instantly upon boot with the vast majority of computers. The only PC the wireless did not work on was the one that I bought; but a quick Google search shows that the latest kernel supports my wireless device, which is understandable due to the device being new on the market (within 3 months). A few people who I've helped try Linux have had no problems with hardware, unlike back in 2008-2009. Even the AMD cards work awesomely.

mips
August 26th, 2011, 11:31 AM
On and off since 2004 but a lot since 2006.

Alwimo
August 26th, 2011, 11:46 AM
I have been using it daily for under a year, since Ubuntu 10.10. I tried it a few times before, through Wubi, but didn't use it for more than an hour or so on those occasions before getting rid of it.

Jackslaps
August 26th, 2011, 12:45 PM
I don't remember which Ubuntu version I started off with, but I remember experimenting with it in high school, sophomore year. I'm currently three years into college, sooo...

Maybe 5-6 years ago.

The only thing that has changed is that I'm a little less afraid of the terminal and code in general. The furthest I've ever gotten in understanding "code" is editing my Conky, and even then I wasn't really good at it.

However I've had an extremely large library of different distros I've wanted to try out. Watt OS, Solaris (I know it's not Linux), Puppy Linux, Mint, U/X/K/Lubuntu, Crunchbang, Debian, the list goes on. I personally like Ubuntu and Crunchbang; Ubuntu for it's ease of use and reliability in installing without any major problems, Crunchbang for it's GUI and its exploratory nature.

klytu
August 26th, 2011, 01:12 PM
I've been using Ubuntu since 4.10 - I think that was what the release was called.

It was also called "Warty Warthog". :-) I remember it well because it was the first Linux distribution I tried that "just worked" on the hardware I used at the time. I've used Ubuntu as my main OS ever since, although I've tried out several other distros since then.

Prior to using Ubuntu, I experimented with Red Hat Linux 7.2 and 8.0 for a couple of years. My learning curve was steep as I had used only Windows and DOS before. With those distros I had a lot of difficulty getting some basic hardware to function and I experienced "dependency hell" many times (and then I had dial-up internet!).

In total, I've been using Linux for about ten years.

ninjaaron
August 26th, 2011, 05:08 PM
25 years

cgroza
August 26th, 2011, 05:13 PM
25 years
Linux is barely 20 years old and you stated before that you use it for like 3 years.

Dry Lips
August 26th, 2011, 05:15 PM
Linux is barely 20 years old and you stated before that you use it for like 3 years.

He is joking. And I know that you got his joke... And I don't know why I'm pointing
this out :-s

oldos2er
August 26th, 2011, 06:30 PM
Four years.

NightwishFan
August 26th, 2011, 09:05 PM
About 20 years

Nice!

akand074
August 26th, 2011, 09:16 PM
3 years come October. I remember I started using it within a few days of the release of Intrepid (8.10 ). Started using it as my main OS with Windows in a VM about a month later, then started using it exclusively another few months after that.

soldersplash
August 26th, 2011, 10:34 PM
Ubuntu user since 6.06 Dapper Drake

I tried out some other distros just so see what I might be missing, but always came back to Ubuntu. It's been a while since I checked if the grass is greener else where because everything I need does just work in Ubuntu.

Linuxratty
August 26th, 2011, 11:20 PM
Around six and a half to maybe seven years I think..