PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] yet another starling wireless problem (star4)

ktmhz
August 25th, 2011, 09:45 PM
I am having a bit of trouble with the wifi on my star4. 4 days ago I moved. The family I am staying with has a belkin router secured with WPA (not sure 1 or 2). This router is connected to their linksys router in the house next door which is then connected to their modem. When I first arrived here a few days ago, I was able to connect to their secured network, but the connection would stall (though still appear to be connected in the notification area). If I restarted or toggled the wifi with fn-f11, I could sometimes get it to reconnect, though it would cut out within about 15 minutes. Within a day, I was not able to connect to the secured network at all. I was still able to connect intermittently to the unsecured network next door (not sure if that is intermittent due to distance or some factor internal to my machine).
I have installed all updates, done a "restore" with the system76 driver, and have tried booting from a liveUSB. None of these seem to have any effect. I installed Wicd network manager, and when I try to connect using it, I get a "bad password" message. Trying with gnome network manager, it just keeps asking me for the password. I am not typing the password wrong, and it is the same password that worked initially (and below).
I tried resetting the belkin (secured) router, and was able to connect again, though after a few minutes i experienced the same symptoms (no activity, but appeared to still have connection; after disconnecting, unable to reconnect).
After resetting the router again, I was able to connect once more, only to go through the same again.
I can access the configuration of either router, and can physically access the belkin one. Any ideas of how to fix this?