PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] A newbie : parittion scheme info

cbalasubramanian
August 25th, 2011, 06:03 PM
Friends,
I want to try ubuntu and this is my first attempt with it. I have just downloaded the lastest 11.04 version.
My system is 32 bit asus laptop with vista already installed in it. The hard disk is partionted in the following way.

/sda1- 10 GB - ntfs - windows recover - primary
/sda2- 60 GB - ntfs - vista os - primary
/sda3- 56 GB - ntfs - primay ( where i want to put ubuntu )
/sda5 -106 GB - logical drive.

I want to put ubuntu in /sda3. I have several questions regardin the partitioning scheme.

1) my ram is 4GB, how much swap i can give. Just a 2GB is okay or is it mandatory to have swap as twice the size of ram
2) do i need to have a seperate /boot
3) is this scheme optimal: swap , / and / home -> just three logical volumes inside /sda3. or is there any necessaity that one of the parition should be as primary
4) In case /boot is necessary, should it be made as primary and rest as logical drives.

thanks,
Bala

Hakunka-Matata
August 25th, 2011, 06:31 PM
Friends,
I want to try ubuntu and this is my first attempt with it. I have just downloaded the lastest 11.04 version.
My system is 32 bit asus laptop with vista already installed in it. The hard disk is partionted in the following way.

/sda1- 10 GB - ntfs - windows recover - primary
/sda2- 60 GB - ntfs - vista os - primary
/sda3- 56 GB - ntfs - primay ( where i want to put ubuntu )
/sda5 -106 GB - logical drive.

I want to put ubuntu in /sda3. I have several questions regardin the partitioning scheme.

1) my ram is 4GB, how much swap i can give. Just a 2GB is okay or is it mandatory to have swap as twice the size of ram
2) do i need to have a seperate /boot
3) is this scheme optimal: swap , / and / home -> just three logical volumes inside /sda3. or is there any necessaity that one of the parition should be as primary
4) In case /boot is necessary, should it be made as primary and rest as logical drives.

thanks,
Bala

Welcome to the forums.

Where did you get the partition information you list? I ask because sda6 is a logical partition; logical partitions reside within an Extended partition, and there is no Extended partition listed.

2GB is enough, unless you want to 'hibernate'. To hibernate use 4GB swap
No
Three logical partitions work well:

/ (root), 15-20 GB
/home - all your data and settings, bigger is better - a personal decision
/Swap - 2GB

/boot is not necessary.

Backup your windows data and make sure you have Vista Recovery or Install disks available.

cbalasubramanian
August 25th, 2011, 10:25 PM
Thank you. I have successfully installed. But i want to check if nvidia graphics card is installed. How to check it by command line. Because when i go system- admin - additoinal driver. Nothing appears. Is there any way to check which driver is installed for my nvidia card

Hakunka-Matata
August 25th, 2011, 10:39 PM
sudo lshw -C display

fdrake
August 25th, 2011, 10:40 PM
Thank you. I have successfully installed. But i want to check if nvidia graphics card is installed. How to check it by command line. Because when i go system- admin - additoinal driver. Nothing appears. Is there any way to check which driver is installed for my nvidia card

you can check with

lspci -vvv | grep nvidia
lsmod | grep nvidia

cbalasubramanian
August 25th, 2011, 10:46 PM
The outputs are below. It seems ubuntu has installed nouveau.
sudo lshw -C display
*-display
description: VGA compatible controller
product: G86 [GeForce 9300M G]
vendor: nVidia Corporation
physical id: 0
bus info: pci@0000:01:00.0
version: a1
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm msi pciexpress vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
configuration: driver=nouveau latency=0
resources: irq:16 memory:fd000000-fdffffff memory:e0000000-efffffff memory:fa000000-fbffffff ioport:bc00(size=128) memory:fcfe0000-fcffffff

lspci -vvv |grep nvidia
Kernel modules: nouveau, nvidiafb

By why sys-admin- additional driver doesnt open when i click additional driver. How can i now install the driver ?

Hakunka-Matata
August 25th, 2011, 11:05 PM
lspci -vvv |grep nvidia
Kernel modules: nouveau, nvidiafb
EDIT: I missed your point, the Additional Drivers app should open and run, even if there are no additional drivers available. I've done that and had a result of 'no additional drivers found', but which Release, I don't know.
A 'more - or - less' explanation, I'm surely no expert on this. But it looks like the Linux Kernel has drivers for your nvidia card already bundled with it. System > Admin > Additional Drivers is for available drivers that Ubuntu is not licensed to include with GNU/LINUX licensing. If Nvidia has other drivers available for your card, I guess you download them and install them. Comments accepted. das