PDA

View Full Version : First Steve Jobs, now Rob Malda!?

DangerOnTheRanger
August 25th, 2011, 02:18 PM
Rob Malda (possibly better known as CmdrTaco) is resigning from Slashdot: http://meta.slashdot.org/story/11/08/25/1245200/Rob-CmdrTaco-Malda-Resigns-From-Slashdot

This is enough to make me cry... *sniff* Anyone have a tissue? :(

(P.S: Notice the department the story was posted under :) )

Aquix
August 25th, 2011, 03:15 PM
Slashdot will continue to be good because of it's great community. Not so sure about apple...

samalex
August 25th, 2011, 04:20 PM
Rob Malda (possibly better known as CmdrTaco) is resigning from Slashdot: http://meta.slashdot.org/story/11/08/25/1245200/Rob-CmdrTaco-Malda-Resigns-From-Slashdot

This is enough to make me cry... *sniff* Anyone have a tissue? :(

I just posted the exact same thing on G+... Though I wouldn't put CmdrTaco at the same level as Steve Jobs, both helped change their respective industries. I really think Digg, Reddit, and so many other sites just copied Slashdot, though most of these copycats ended up evolving in quite different directions.

It's funny, the first time I heard of or saw Rob Malda was in Revolution OS where they interviewed him at one of the Linux Expos I believe.

As for Jobs, I think Apple is in good hands.

BeRoot ReBoot
August 25th, 2011, 08:52 PM
slashdot = stagnated

It's just another digg/reddit now, with news popping up a week late.

decoherence
August 25th, 2011, 09:31 PM
slashdot = stagnated

It's just another digg/reddit now, with news popping up a week late.

who reads /. for news?? i bet you read tfa as well! ;)

KiwiNZ
August 25th, 2011, 09:34 PM
I stopped reading Slashdot years ago. It's a zealot magnet and like most online pseudo journalism it lack professionalism.

Thewhistlingwind
August 25th, 2011, 09:41 PM
I stopped reading Slashdot years ago. It's a zealot magnet and like most online pseudo journalism it lack professionalism.

I think the former is a more important factor than the latter.

Considering that "lacks professionalism" in many cases lands higher than "Tabloid magazine" things like /. become a legitimate source of news/editorial.

As long as you keep what they are in mind.

KiwiNZ
August 25th, 2011, 09:45 PM
I think the former is a more important factor than the latter.

Considering that "lacks professionalism" in many cases lands higher than "Tabloid magazine" things like /. become a legitimate source of news/editorial.

As long as you keep what they are in mind.

Dog droppings fall higher than Tabloid Press :P

Thewhistlingwind
August 25th, 2011, 10:00 PM
Dog droppings fall higher than Tabloid Press :P

True. :P

Bachstelze
August 25th, 2011, 10:29 PM
Slashdot will continue to be good because of it's great community. Not so sure about apple...

Apple will continue to be good because of its good products. Not so sure about Slashdot (assuming it was good to begin with)...