PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Will GTK2 apps run on GTK3?

fallenshadow
August 25th, 2011, 01:33 PM
So I am currently on Ubuntu 11.04 but I am worried about upgrading to the 11.10 release in case most applications won't work.

Ive no idea about the above question, so does anyone know before I risk upgrading?

Frogs Hair
August 25th, 2011, 03:01 PM
If you are waiting until the release date of 11.10 , most applications should be adapted an work with Gnome 3 . As always some community supported applications will not be compatible with the new release . If you are planning on installing the development release the chances are good that you will encounter things that don't work properly yet .

3Miro
August 25th, 2011, 05:57 PM
Gnome 2 and Gnome 3 conflict with each other and cannot be installed at the same time. However, GTK2 and GTK3 libraries should coexist just fine.

I have an installation of Arch with Gnome 3 (using GTK3) and XFCE (using GTK2). Applications work just fine, with only occasional problems with the different themes.

Simian Man
August 25th, 2011, 06:05 PM
You can still run GTK1 programs under Gnome3. Nobody would make a decision that would prevent you from running that much good software. It will be a long time for a lot of programs are updated - if ever.

fallenshadow
August 26th, 2011, 02:15 PM
So all I have to do is install GTK2 libraries and everything will be fine?

If thats the case then I won't hesitate to upgrade. :)