PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu Gnome not booting

algrossi
August 25th, 2011, 03:25 AM
I am relatively new to Ubuntu although have worked with Unix for many years - and am managing to get around Ubuntu and liking it very much.
While doing some cleanup, I may have deleted some app which is preventing me from booting. When it starts up and the UBUNTU logo appears with the 5 dots underneath, the dots repeatedly change color as if telling me it's doing something, but it never moves beyond that point.

I have the original install disk V10.04 and can boot from that. I do not want to do a full install because it would wipe out all the data. Is there a way to reinstall without cleaning up everything?

Dell Inspiron 1300 80GB HD, 1GB RAM
What's up?
:mad:

Megaptera
August 25th, 2011, 07:17 AM
...While doing some cleanup, I may have deleted some app which is preventing me from booting...

Could you be more specific about what you did, how you did it and with what? That may assist people trying to help you to put it right.

Thanks.

fdrake
August 25th, 2011, 07:56 AM
Could you be more specific about what you did, how you did it and with what? That may assist people trying to help you to put it right.

Thanks.
if this is due to a new kernel update go to the grub menu (press "shift" while booting) and select the previous kernel release.

if this is not the case can you be more descriptive on what may have cause the problem?

algrossi
August 26th, 2011, 06:11 PM
I used UBUNTU SOFTWARE CENTER to remove some apps, I remember one of them starts with "k" or "kd", since I had not heard of them before I removed them. I am quite new to Ubuntu so you could say I sabotaged myself. I since then installed another copy of Ubuntu on another partition and am using that one until I can recover the original one.

In trying to recover he original installation, I presses "Shift" during boot, to wake up GRUB. at that point, I used the "Repair Packages" option and tried to reboot. That didn't work, same symptoms af before.
Al;