PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] accidently disabled docky

rthwm
August 25th, 2011, 03:13 AM
I was messing around in the gnome startup manager program and unchecked docky.

The top bar (with all the menus) is now gone and I cant figure out how to turn it back on again.

I figured out that I could still create applications to launch from right clicking on the desktop, but when I start the application called "docky" it opens a menu bar at the bottom of the screen, but not the normal menu bar at the top.

I know this is pretty lame, but I have searched for almost an hour on google and can't seem to find an answer on how to fix it.

stinkeye
August 25th, 2011, 04:24 AM
ctrl+alt+t will open a terminal where you can open startup preferences with

gnome-session-properties

rthwm
August 25th, 2011, 05:06 AM
Well that was deffinitly the screen ive been trying to get back too to fix this little problem. Thanks!!

rthwm
August 25th, 2011, 05:09 AM
Well, now I seem to have another problem. I re-enabled docky, but I have still lost my top menu bar. Docky did load at startup, but it loaded the normal docky bar at the bottom of the screen. (The default bar across the top is still gone).

rthwm
August 25th, 2011, 05:28 AM
I found a forum thread that talked about entering "gnome-panel" in terminal. When I did this, the top bar and everything loaded right up. However, when I close terminal, the menu bar goes away again....

rthwm
August 25th, 2011, 05:35 AM
I have no clue if this is an ok way to fix the problem or not, but I went to the startup manager and just added "gnome-panel" to the list. Rebooted and everything seems to be good now.

Distortion20
August 25th, 2011, 08:52 AM
I think I have the same issue.

I don't know how I did it ( I think it was when I was trying to delete an entry from the "Places" list.

Anyway. my launcer bar is now empty.

I can laucnh applications that I have on my desk top, but when I minimize them. I can't get back.
(Normally they would show up on the bottom of the screen, but this bar is gone too).

I'v tried re-booting a couple of times, and sometimes "Applications" will show up in the launcher, but when I click on it nothing happens.

If I click on the desktop, I have the choice of adding applications.

Also, this is 11.04 and this issue only exists when I have "Classic" or "Classic -Effects" choosen.

When I boot up with UBUNTU ( I think this is UNITY ????????) everything works fine.

Any thoughts or advice ?