PDA

View Full Version : Mozilla implementing Google’s SPDY protocol in Firefox

lovinglinux
August 24th, 2011, 09:33 PM
This sounds really interesting:

From: http://www.conceivablytech.com/9058/business/firefox-gets-googles-spdy-chrome-gets-omnibox-sync

Mozilla’s Firefox team appears to have adjusted its pace to the new rapid release cycle and is working on a wave of new features that should make the browser race much more interesting again. Among the most interesting features are the previously covered Electrolysis as well as WebAPI and an integration of Google’s SPDY protocol. Google isn’t standing still either and is evolving the Chrome interface and recently added Omnibox syncing.

SPDY (pronounced "speedy") is a TCP-based application-level protocol for transporting web content. It is proposed by Google and is being developed as one of their Chromium open-source projects. The SPDY white paper states that it is intended to "augment," rather than replace, HTTP.

The name "SPDY" is not an acronym. It comes from the word "SPeeDY" and represents speed through compression, which is one of the project's key goals.

The goal of SPDY is to reduce web page load time. This is achieved by prioritizing and multiplexing the transfer of several files so that only one connection per client is required. All transmissions are TLS encrypted and gzip compressed by design (in contrast to HTTP, where the headers are not compressed). Moreover, servers may hint or even push content instead of awaiting individual requests for each resource of a web page.

sffvba[e0rt
August 24th, 2011, 09:39 PM
:( when I saw SPDY the first word that came to my mind was SPIDEY (don't know why)... so now I have that song in my head...

Spiderman, Spiderman,
Does whatever a spider can.
Spins a web, any size,
Catches thieves just like flies.
Look out! Here comes the Spiderman.

Is he strong? Listen bud—
He's got radioactive blood.
Can he swing from a thread?
Take a look overhead.
Hey there! There goes the Spiderman.

In the chill of the night,
At the scene of the crime,