PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Uninstalling Chromium installs Firefox?

Dyzphagia
August 24th, 2011, 04:50 PM
Well I installed Chromium to see how I liked it. I didn't, I went to remove it via package manager and it says it will install Firefox in it's place. I really don't need Firefox and I have tried
sudo apt-get remove Chromium It said it was a virtual package that can't be removed, then I tried
sudo apt-get purge Chromium It said it was a virtual package that can't be removed and that lib-camel-1.2-26 was automatically installed and is no longer required, so I used
sudo apt-get autoremove It removed it, but I still sadly have chromium. How can I remove Chromium and not install Firefox?

aeiah
August 24th, 2011, 04:57 PM
isnt it apt-get remove chromium-browser?

either way, im not quite sure why it is installing firefox. what browser are you planning on using? perhaps if you set it as your default browser, ubuntu wont try and install firefox for you.

sudo update-alternatives –config browser

should do the trick, although it might not be 'browser'. you could just issue
sudo update-alternatives and go through until you get to the browser section

Dyzphagia
August 24th, 2011, 05:04 PM
I tried the
sudo update-alternatives --config browser. I get an error stating that there are no alternatives for browser. Nightly is set as my default. I then tried
sudo apt-get remove chromium-browser, yet it still wishes for me to install Firefox. Also I can no longer use ctrl + alt + t to bring up the terminal.

cottfcfan
August 24th, 2011, 05:15 PM
Firefox is part of the default installation.
Personally I would not remove it.
The rule of thumb seems to be, if its part of the default installation, leave it installed.
If removing chromium reinstalls Firefox, I would let it.

Dyzphagia
August 24th, 2011, 05:22 PM
So in the end I'm going to be stuck with both Firefox and Nightly? Almost bugs me as much as my unity problem

cottfcfan
August 24th, 2011, 05:25 PM
You don't have to be stuck with anything. You can install as many Browsers as you like. I have Firefox, Chrome & Opera installed.
It's just safer not to remove Firefox, that's all.

Dyzphagia
August 24th, 2011, 05:27 PM
Well looks like I'm going to just remove Chromium and reinstall Firefox. Thanks for the help.

dniMretsaM
August 24th, 2011, 05:30 PM
What if you tried:

sudo apt-get remove chromium-browserYou might get different results since the actual package name is chromium-browser, not chromium.

Dyzphagia
August 24th, 2011, 05:33 PM
Yeah somebody above shown me that, tried it and it still came out to the same conclusion. Oh well, I'm just going to do Firefox and Nightly

lovinglinux
August 24th, 2011, 10:13 PM
Yeah somebody above shown me that, tried it and it still came out to the same conclusion. Oh well, I'm just going to do Firefox and Nightly

Instead of using Firefox nightly, use the beta or aurora channels, so you get only one Firefox. We can do that with the mozillateam ppa.

See Firefox 4, 5 & Beyond Mega Thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1712247).