PDA

View Full Version : HowTo: Windows (XP) on Ubuntu with VMWare Server

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Peturrr
May 27th, 2006, 08:07 PM
Update!
Vmware Server is now in the repositories. (7.10, also 7.04)
See the updated instructions below.

Introduction
Are you too having problems with software that is only available on Windows and not on Linux? Are you still Dual Booting to solve this problem? After this HowTo you will never need to dual-boot again for your windows only software, like Adobe CS!

Info
That sounds great, but how?
Did you ever heard about Virtual Machines? There is software available that can run Windows XP or any other Operating System inside your main Operating System. This means that you can run Windows XP in Ubuntu without the need to Reboot/Dual Boot.

That sounds slow...
It is indeed a little slower, but really: a little. Personally I am very willing to sacrifice that little speed in order to avoid Dual Booting.

What else can I do with it?
Run seperate Operating Systems for Online Banking and other things that you want to secure. Try out new Ubuntu Versions without Dual Booting, Try out other Linux Distro's etc.

What can I not do with it?
You will not be able to use hardware that doesn't work on Ubuntu. This is very important to understand!
The Virtual Machine runs on top of Ubuntu, so it can only acces Ubuntu detected devices. It is a virtual machine with virtual hardware.

Also don't expect to be gaming on a Virtual Machine at this moment. Heavy Videocard 3d things are just not supported right now. So for gaming it's unfortunately a no go. For everything else, just try it out!

Requirements
Ubuntu Edgy, Dapper or Breezy or later.
A Windows (XP) Installation CD & Key
Internet Connection (+- 100 Megabyte file download)Procedure Gutsy & Feisty

Because VMWare Server is now in the repo's, installation is much easier.
Make sure you have enabled the "partner" repository.

sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list
Make sure the lines below are not commented out with a #. Save the file.(replace gutsy with feisty if necessary!)
deb http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu gutsy partner
deb-src http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu gutsy partner
Install VMWare Server

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install vmware-server
Get your serial at http://register.vmware.com/content/registration.html

Now skip to the section "Installation of Windows XP"Procedure Edgy and earlier versions
First we need to install a few dependencies:

In a terminal type

sudo apt-get install linux-headers-`uname -r` build-essential xinetd This will install all needed dependencies (atleast I hope so ;) )

Breezy users will also need to install gcc-3.4.

sudo apt-get install gcc-3.4We are now ready to download VMWare Server.
Go to http://www.vmware.com/products/server/
On the menu on the right click: Download VMWare Server
Click on the appropriate Download Now button.
Register as new user, do give a valid email adres, since you will be receiving the registration key by email.
Select the VMWare Server beta (for Linux)
Accept the EULA
Download VMware Server for Linux. (first mentioned, binary (.tar.gz) )The Installation
Open the downloaded file with the archive manager.
Extract it to somewhere, I will use /tmp here.
Startup the terminal and go to the extracted files

cd /tmp replace with your download directory
cd vmware-server-distrib

Breezy users only. Execute
export CC=/usr/bin/gcc-3.4
Execute the installation script

sudo ./vmware-install.pl
You can accept all defaults, only thing you might want to alter is the directory where the Virtual Machines are stored. I have mine set to /home/username/vmware . But offcourse, just accept the settings you want to.
You will be prompted for your key during the installation. You will find the key in your email inbox
If everything went allright, the installation will finish without any problemsWe can now test if it worked by starting the VMWare server console
Via the menu Applications => System Tools => Vmware Server Console
If everything is allright, the server console program will show up.
If it didn't, start the terminal and execute
vmwareThis will display the errors, post them here and hopefully we can solve them.Installation of Windows XP
Next thing we want to do is Install Windows (XP) !

First we need a virtual machine
Insert your Windows (XP) CD into your CDROM drive
Open the VMware Server Console
select 'Create a new virtual machine'
=> Next => Next => Select Windows Xp (or whatever Windows versions you want to install )
=> Next => Enter a name and select a location for the Virtual Machine File (It contains the virtual harddisk, so it needs quite some space, min 2 GB, but I would recommend 8+ GB )
=> Next => Select Network type. I am using NAT, but choose whatever fits you ( or your mood )
=> Next => Choose the size for the Virtual Disk and set other preferences
=> Next => FinishNow we can start the newly made virtual machine and the install of Windows!
Start the virtual machine
Hopefully it detects your Windows install CD and will start the installation! If it won't boot from the CD, stop the virtual machine and check/change the preferences for the virtual machine regarding the CD drive
Enjoy the installation and the freedom to use Ubuntu while installing :D
Tips

You will definately want to install the VMWare tools, when windows has been installed. This will speed up your Windows responsiveness
Make sure your Windows Virtual Machine is Running and visable/selected. (Not in FullScreen)
Go to the VM menu (on the top in the VM Server Console)
Select Install VMWare Tools.
This will start a installation wizard in your WIndows Environment. Just install the stuff and you will have better mouse and system responsiveness.CTRL + ALT will release the mousecursor from the virtual machine
CTRL + ALT in FullScreen mode will get you out of the FullScreen.

You can Suspend a running virtual machine. this way it will start very fast the next time you need it.

To have sound support, add a sound device in the virtual machine settings.

Enjoy!

See Attached screenshots from my windows XP Installation and the succes of it.

Please no discussions about Windows versus Linux in this Thread.

Common Problems & Solutions

No Serial Number Received

You can view your serial numbers at: http://www.vmware.com/vmwarestore/newstore/serial_number_login.jsp
After a kernel upgrade VMWare won't start because it has not been (correctly) configured for the running kernel

execute
sudo /usr/bin/vmware-config.pl
vmware-config.pl fails to find the right kernel headers. It cannot find /usr/src/kernel/include and won't proceed to install.

You have a updated kernel, but not the updated kernel headers.
You can install them by executing
sudo apt-get install linux-headers-`uname -r` Now you can succesfully run
sudo /usr/bin/vmware-config.pl
You don't want to install the kernel headers manually each time there is an update.

There is a package called linux-headers-*** that automatically installs the latest kernelheaders, so you don't need to install them manually each time.

There are 4 flavours of this package: 386, 686, k7, server.

If you don't know wich one you need, execute
uname -r It will give you something like 2.6.15-26-k7 or 2.6.15-26-686

Now you know the right flavour, install it by
sudo apt-get install linux-headers-*** Replace the *** with 386, 686, k7 or server.

Uninstallation failed and reinstall won't work
====
A previous installation of VMware software has been detected.
The previous installation was made by the tar installer (version 3).
Keeping the tar3 installer database format.
Error: Unable to execute "/usr/bin/vmware/vmware-uninstall.pl.
Failure
Execution aborted.
====

Look for the /etc/vmware directory and either move it to a different location or remove it altogether.
sudo rm -R /etc/vmware
Note
According to Flip314:
VMWare has stated that VMWare Server will be a free product, just like VMWare player.

Credits
Used some information from a blogpost by James Wilford and a comment placed there by 'mips' (http://blog.wilf.me.uk/articles/2006/04/01/vmware-server-beta-on-ubuntu )
Thanks to Remusus for the linux-headers-'uname -r ' command.
Thanks to firetux for the GCC-3.4 info
Thanks to Nick Couchman from the VMWare forum for the uninstallation problems workaround.

Nomearod
May 27th, 2006, 08:22 PM
Excelent how-to. I heard about VMWare in the past but I thought it was very dificult to install.

For exemple, my wireless card works in windows, so this means that I can use my wireless network in Ubuntu with this?

Can I install progrms in windows, shutdown the PC, turn on Ubuntu and VMWare and use that programs?

Sorry the n00b questions :rolleyes:

marianoi
May 27th, 2006, 08:23 PM
great guide,

just let me add one thing. If you have the same problem I had with VMWare not starting. You can go to the terminal and type vmware hit enter and see if it claims about "libgcc.s.s0.1" and "libpng12.so.0" not being recognized. If so, just do the following:

sudo cp /lib/libgcc_s.so.1 /usr/lib/vmware/lib/libgcc_s.so.1/

and

sudo cp /usr/lib/libpng12.so.0 /usr/lib/vmware/lib/libpng12.so.0/

For some reason I had problem installing a virtual machine if I ran "vmware" so I always do:

sudo vmware

to run it as a super user (correct me if this is not a good policy please)

Hope this was useful

Cheers

Mariano

Peturrr
May 27th, 2006, 08:41 PM
Thanks for your comments and appreciation.

@nomearod
You won't be able to acces the programs you have already installed on your windows. The virtual windows machine will be a new windows install, that only is accesible with VMware software. You cannot boot it directly. you won't be able to use your internet in windows if it's not installed in Ubuntu. Also a scanner or other hardware will not run, since it is running above Ubuntu. You will still need to reboot to a real windows for that. Sorry.
==update== This appears to be not true. It is possible to boot an existing windows installation. This is not covered (yet) in the HOWTO

@marianoi
Running VMWare as super user doesn't seem be a good practice to me. But If that's the only way for you to start the stuff... So be it.

flip314
May 27th, 2006, 08:47 PM
Note
Since this is free bèta software, It could be the case that in a few months it will not be free available anymore. In That case, you can always use the free VMWare player to acces your Virtual Machine.
I wil try to find out if they intend to allow you using the beta software for free.

VMWare has stated that VMWare Server will be a free product, just like VMWare player. They seem to be focussed on selling VMWare Workstation, and want to use Player and Server to get people hooked while competing with other products like VirtualPC.

marianoi
May 27th, 2006, 08:48 PM
It says something about not being able to modify a file (do not remember which one). So I tried with sudo vmware and it started. Now it is working fine

Cheers

mlind
May 27th, 2006, 08:48 PM
Very nice guide, thanks!

I've been keen for some time to try VMWare on Ubuntu, but didn't have nerve to do
it yet.

I guess it's out of question to use already installed XP on VMWare ?

Peturrr
May 27th, 2006, 08:51 PM

I guess it is for now. It would be very hard to accomplish, but who knows, someday...

flip314
May 27th, 2006, 08:54 PM

Is this (http://macrolinz.com/macrolinz/index.php/2006/01/09/physcial-to-virtual/) what you mean? I haven't tried it, but it sounds cool.

Has anyone tried the experimental D3D accelleration (possibly only available in VMWare Workstation)? I'm gonna give it a shot once I get my ati driver issues resolved ](*,)

Nomearod
May 27th, 2006, 09:07 PM

@nomearod
You won't be able to acces the programs you have already installed on your windows. The virtual windows machine will be a new windows install, that only is accesible with VMware software. You cannot boot it directly. you won't be able to use your internet in windows if it's not installed in Ubuntu. Also a scanner or other hardware will not run, since it is running above Ubuntu. You will still need to reboot to a real windows for that. Sorry.

For exemple:
- I install Windows XP in Ubuntu with VMWare. Then install in my virtual XP some programs and drives. Can I use then everytime I want ? ( Under ubuntu and with VMWare )

Peturrr
May 27th, 2006, 09:35 PM
I install Windows XP in Ubuntu with VMWare. Then install in my virtual XP some programs and drives. Can I use then everytime I want ? ( Under ubuntu and with VMWare )
Yes, you can use them everytime you want. You only have to start the virtual windows with the VMware server console. And your windows boots automatically with all the software and documents you have installed, put in it.

Peturrr
May 27th, 2006, 09:44 PM
Has anyone tried the experimental D3D accelleration (possibly only available in VMWare Workstation)? I'm gonna give it a shot once I get my ati driver issues resolved ](*,)

I enabled it according to the guide here: http://www.vmware.com/support/ws5/doc/ws_vidsound_d3d_enabling.html

DirectX 9 gave indeed: direct3d support enabled (!)
But unfortunately it crashed immediately when I wanted to try the Direct3d test.
It also gave me irritating black area's that didn't got refreshed. But it does look promising.

LsrLine
May 27th, 2006, 10:06 PM
How do I get past this part?

What is the location of the directory of C header files that match your running
kernel? [/usr/src/linux/include]

The path "/usr/src/linux/include" is not an existing directory.

Peturrr
May 27th, 2006, 10:29 PM
How do I get past this part?

It looks like the linux-kernel-headers are not installed.
As mentioned in the howto:
Try to execute:

sudo apt-get install linux-headers-2.6.15-23-686 don't forget to change the 2.6.15-23-686 with the uname -r results
Does it say that it is indeed installed? Hope this helps you.

remusus
May 27th, 2006, 11:08 PM
To avoid any confusion with the linux-headers install, just do this:

sudo apt-get install linux-headers-`uname -r`

And it will look up the uname in the same command.

Am I the only one that can't get the registration at VMware to work at all?

cowmix
May 27th, 2006, 11:38 PM
Don't forget to turn off debug mode so things run A LOT faster:

http://www.phunsites.ch/wp/2006/03/17/howto-disable-debugging-mode-on-vmware-server-beta/

mdurham
May 28th, 2006, 01:11 AM
If you want a really easy way to create vmx machines for VmPlayer just go to /http://www.easyvmx.com/ It's great.

stargazer
May 28th, 2006, 06:14 AM
great guide,

just let me add one thing. If you have the same problem I had with VMWare not starting. You can go to the terminal and type vmware hit enter and see if it claims about "libgcc.s.s0.1" and "libpng12.so.0" not being recognized. If so, just do the following:

and

sudo cp /usr/lib/libpng12.so.0 /usr/lib/vmware/lib/libpng12.so.0/

For some reason I had problem installing a virtual machine if I ran "vmware" so I always do:

sudo vmware

to run it as a super user (correct me if this is not a good policy please)

Hope this was useful

Cheers

Mariano

I had the same problem. You need to change the ownership of the .vmware directory. I just did:

sudo chown -R yourusername:yourusername .vmware

flip314
May 28th, 2006, 06:31 AM
I enabled it according to the guide here: http://www.vmware.com/support/ws5/doc/ws_vidsound_d3d_enabling.html

DirectX 9 gave indeed: direct3d support enabled (!)
But unfortunately it crashed immediately when I wanted to try the Direct3d test.
It also gave me irritating black area's that didn't got refreshed. But it does look promising.

I tried it out and it crashes when VMWare tries to resize my resolution when I go to fullscreen. When I run it windowed, it crashes if I run the D3D test under DXDiag. :(

Pretty impressive crashes too, they take down my system entirely. I can't even ctrl+alt+backspace or ctrl+alt+f1 to get around it

Nomearod
May 28th, 2006, 08:31 AM
Why do I need to regist before download VMWare? :-k Is there any free program like this one?

eokorie
May 28th, 2006, 08:32 AM
You need to do that so they can send you a serial number.

Nomearod
May 28th, 2006, 08:38 AM
You need to do that so they can send you a serial number.

But it requires a organization name :-?

eokorie
May 28th, 2006, 08:46 AM
I believe that is just standard for those who plan to pay for support or plan to download the trial versions of paid products but just type in anything. I entered the name of my website and it went through.

eentonig
May 28th, 2006, 10:56 AM
Help! :mrgreen:

Complaining about GCC 3.4. But I figure it's installed anyway?

rfonteyn@RFONTE-FCS:~/Programs/VMware/vmware-server-distrib$ vmware
/usr/lib/vmware/bin/vmware: /usr/lib/vmware/lib/libgcc_s.so.1/libgcc_s.so.1: version `GCC_3.4' not found (required by /usr/lib/libcairo.so.2)
/usr/lib/vmware/bin/vmware: /usr/lib/vmware/lib/libpng12.so.0/libpng12.so.0: no version information available (required by /usr/lib/libcairo.so.2)
/usr/lib/vmware/bin/vmware: /usr/lib/vmware/lib/libgcc_s.so.1/libgcc_s.so.1: version `GCC_3.4' not found (required by /usr/lib/libcairo.so.2)
/usr/lib/vmware/bin/vmware: /usr/lib/vmware/lib/libpng12.so.0/libpng12.so.0: no version information available (required by /usr/lib/libcairo.so.2)
rfonteyn@RFONTE-FCS:~/Programs/VMware/vmware-server-distrib$ apt-cache policy gcc-3.4
gcc-3.4:
Installed: 3.4.6-1ubuntu2
Candidate: 3.4.6-1ubuntu2
Version table:
*** 3.4.6-1ubuntu2 0
500 http://be.archive.ubuntu.com dapper/main Packages
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
rfonteyn@RFONTE-FCS:~/Programs/VMware/vmware-server-distrib$

ortsanfang
May 28th, 2006, 12:05 PM
@ eentonig

As far as I understand the internal secrets of Linux, Dapper uses gcc-4.0. So, before running the installation script, I needed to use the following command (in the terminal):

export CC=/usr/bin/gcc-4.0

If you're working with Breezy, try this:

Make this sense? Does that help? I can't say - I only know it worked on my machine.

eentonig
May 28th, 2006, 12:08 PM
I'm on Dapper. And yeah, stupid me. I had the same issue with another soft I installed as well.

Should have known this one. retrying as we, hum, *speak*.

eentonig
May 28th, 2006, 12:19 PM
ortsanfang,
Nope, no good.
Still got the same errors.

ortsanfang
May 28th, 2006, 12:28 PM
eentonig, I followed this instruction: VMware Server Beta on Ubuntu (http://blog.wilf.me.uk/articles/2006/04/01/vmware-server-beta-on-ubuntu)

Maybe you need to create the mentioned (see first comment) symbolic link - although I didn't need to create it.

eentonig
May 28th, 2006, 12:34 PM
Nope, doesn't help. link already existed.
It's gonna be someting stupid and simple. I just wish I could figure it out.

ortsanfang
May 28th, 2006, 12:49 PM
I'm not sure, but do you get the messages when starting vmware (or during the installtion)? What about the installation? Did it finish successfully? Any errors? Do you have a vmware log in the /temp directory?

I just want to figure out when the first time in the hole process you went into trouble?

eokorie
May 28th, 2006, 01:00 PM
I have always used this to install VMware Server and its worked every single time:

sudo apt-get install build-essential linux-headers-`uname -r` gcc-3.4 xinetd xserver-xorg libxt6 libxrender1 libxtst6 libxi6 libdb2 openssl libssl-dev mc htop ssh

Once all the libraries have been installed, all I do is start the VMware installer.

Hope this helps....

paul cooke
May 28th, 2006, 01:20 PM
If you want a really easy way to create vmx machines for VmPlayer just go to /http://www.easyvmx.com/ It's great.

borked link... takes you here http://www.microsoft.com/ prolly cos Microsoft have bought up the "http" domain and parked a redirect link there to take people to microsoft.com... devious beggars

what you want is www.easyvmx.com

eentonig
May 28th, 2006, 01:44 PM
Well,

As you can see from the output, It's after launching vmware. The install works just fine without any errors.

I'll give it another try with the packages from eokorie's post. Allthough a bunch of them seem useluss ballast to me.

firetux
May 28th, 2006, 02:17 PM
eentonig, have a look at this (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=157011) thread.

marianoi
May 28th, 2006, 02:59 PM
rfonteyn@RFONTE-FCS:~/Programs/VMware/vmware-server-distrib$ apt-cache policy gcc-3.4
gcc-3.4:
Version table:
*** 3.4.6-1ubuntu2 0
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

Hello,

I had that problem and posted the solution here. It is in the 1st page!

Cheers

Hope that works for you too

firetux
May 28th, 2006, 03:45 PM
gcc-3.4:
Version table:
*** 3.4.6-1ubuntu2 0
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

Hello,

I had that problem and posted the solution here. It is in the 1st page!

Cheers

Hope that works for you too

Yeah, but that involves running vmware with root, wich is not a good idea.
The link in my first post has a better solution.

paul cooke
May 28th, 2006, 04:45 PM
[...]

We are now ready to download VMWare Server.

Go to http://www.vmware.com/products/server/
On the menu on the right click: Download VMWare Server
Click on the appropriate Download Now button.
Register as new user, do give a valid email adres, since you will be receiving the registration key by email.
Select the VMWare Server beta (for Linux)
Accept the EULA
Download VMware Server for Linux. (first mentioned, binary (.tar.gz) )

what happens after the beta period finishes? cos it's not obvious from the email I got with my serial numbers:

|Use the serial number(s) provided below to install and run multiple copies of VMware Server during the beta period:

will vmware server remain free of cost?

Nomearod
May 28th, 2006, 04:52 PM
what happens after the beta period finishes? cos it's not obvious from the email I got with my serial numbers:

|Use the serial number(s) provided below to install and run multiple copies of VMware Server during the beta period:

That's what I'd like to know...

What did you put in the "company" field? ](*,)

firetux
May 28th, 2006, 04:58 PM

It stays free, anyway it says so in the FAQ (http://www.vmware.com/products/server/faqs.html).

sYs^
May 28th, 2006, 06:11 PM
I have no sound, only the speaker beeps, I have NForce 2 integrated soundcard, any ideas? Btw great guide everything else if working fine!

EDIT: Problem solved, I didn't add manualy a Sound Device. :p

jrobinson5
May 28th, 2006, 06:34 PM
Tried to follow the steps on breezy. It didn't work, tried to run the installation script again, same error. Here's what I cut and pasted from Terminal. (see attached.)

Video Toaster
May 28th, 2006, 07:14 PM
borked link... takes you here http://www.microsoft.com/ prolly cos Microsoft have bought up the "http" domain and parked a redirect link there to take people to microsoft.com... devious beggars

what you want is www.easyvmx.com
Nah... I just tried that link in MSIE and it just says "Cannot Find Server". Firefox redirects to Microsoft's web page by itself.

firetux
May 28th, 2006, 07:33 PM
Tried to follow the steps on breezy. It didn't work, tried to run the installation script again, same error. Here's what I cut and pasted from Terminal. (see attached.)

Why did you press "n"? Doing this terminates the install.
Just press "y", and go on. There's nothing wrong with compiling, it needs to be compiled because vmware doen't support ubuntu as an host-os.

EDIT: sorry I didn't read the whole thing.Anyway.

Just makee sure you have gcc3.4 installed and do
export CC=/usr/bin/gcc-3.4 before you execute the command.

paul cooke
May 28th, 2006, 07:37 PM
That's what I'd like to know...

What did you put in the "company" field? ](*,)

erm... my own company name... I have a sideline business that involves fixing borked ms-windows boxes... quite profitable... I only do referrals.

You know you can put n/a in that field...

[OT aside here. Please DO NOT reply to this]

If they let me, they end up with an Ubuntu dual boot setup with Ubuntu for browsing and ms-windows for their other stuff. Otherwise, I leave them with a Knoppix cd and show them how to browse the web with it (saving data to USB key drives (setup as a persistent home)) and do Gaim for IM etc.. I have had some call backs to install Linux properly after they've had a play with Knoppix. I've even had people call me back and let me know they've gone off and installed Linux themselves.

Peturrr
May 28th, 2006, 07:42 PM
The log says it cannot compile because the wrong gcc is used. This is easily solved.
for breezy users
You will need to enter this first before starting the install script:

Also make sure that gcc-3.4 is indeed installed

sudo apt-get install gcc-3.4

marianoi
May 28th, 2006, 07:56 PM
Hi I just got the answer for not running VMWare as root...:-D

after copying the libgcc and libpng files as I explained in the first page do the following:

sudo chmod 777 /home/"your home directory"/.vmware/preferences

It works for me now I just type in the terminal:

"vmware"

And vmware starts

Cheers

Mariano

John Jones
May 28th, 2006, 09:43 PM
Excellent post!

Very clear and it all worked first time.

All I have to do now is work out how to connect to the internet some time in the next 30 days so I can activate XP.

You are definitely a :KS .

John Jones :-D

dicecca112
May 28th, 2006, 10:40 PM
I followed your guide but it failed. All I get is this

Failure

Execution aborted.

dicecca@dicecca-desktop:~/Desktop/vmware-server-distrib$

This is a 2 day old install of dapper. I believe i have everything I need installed

flip314
May 28th, 2006, 11:12 PM
I followed your guide but it failed. All I get is this

Failure

Execution aborted.

dicecca@dicecca-desktop:~/Desktop/vmware-server-distrib$

This is a 2 day old install of dapper. I believe i have everything I need installed

Do you have another VMWare product installed? You can't have VMPlayer and VMServer on the same machine. I don't know about workstation.

If you want to clean out any other products you can run /usr/bin/vmware-uninstall.pl.

If the errors are caused by a failed previous installation attempt, I don't know if that script will be there/work, but you can try anyway.

rafaelsdmf
May 29th, 2006, 02:01 AM
Hey man! excelent post! This is my first post and I'm kind of newbie to all this but i'ts nice to see this community. It's great to be part of this.

Ok here's my problem: The installation went Ok, the only thing that bothers me is that I have to run the program from the directory itself because I go "vmware" in the console and nothing happens. It says that there is no such command.

Anyway, I start the program and make the virtual machine and try to install Win Me, and it seems that I don't have the keyboard available.

Any clue on this?

PS: sorry about my english... I'm working on that too :)

edit: I'ts ok now!!!just have to click on the screen of the virtual machine. I'ts installing right now and I'll keep you informed.

Long Live Rock 'n Roll!!!

dicecca112
May 29th, 2006, 02:08 AM
got it to work. I had to reinstall Ubuntu anyway, and installed the newest RC, and I have it up and working thanks for the guide

rafaelsdmf
May 29th, 2006, 05:04 AM
Works perfect !!! Just one question: Is it safe to surf the 'net? :-k

eentonig
May 29th, 2006, 12:44 PM
eentonig, have a look at this (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=157011) thread.

Works like a charm, Thanks!

Video Toaster
May 29th, 2006, 04:38 PM
Works perfect !!! Just one question: Is it safe to surf the 'net? :-k
Mostly. :D Just make sure you run Microsoft Update in the virtual machine each month to make sure you're up-to-date (or turn on Automatic Updates, if you wish). Using Firefox instead of IE in the virtual machine would also be a good idea.

ampop
May 30th, 2006, 02:47 AM
With this help, finnally I installed the VMware workstation.
Thank you very much.

Just one question. I just give 2GB to the virtual win XP. It's possible give more, or I must reinstall the virtual Win XP?

Thank you.

centered effect
May 30th, 2006, 03:44 AM
Is it possible to uninstall VMware?

EDIT - yes it is

sudo vmware-uninstall.pl
I need a working keyboard.. my damn F8 key doesnt want to work....

NEW EDIT - Damn logitech keyboards, they have F-lock keys to use the function keys, plus I had to redo vmware anyway cause I put the Virtual Machines in /var/lib

Thanks for this how to!!!

Grog140
May 30th, 2006, 04:21 AM
I get

Details: Failed to execute child process "vmware" (No such file or directory)

When trying to launch from Applications menue and get a "command not found when I do "vmware" from terminal.

I don't know where to begin tyring to figure this one out.

Symbios
May 30th, 2006, 06:12 AM
Great guide. Everything worked great, except for one little problem, (something about GCC_3.4 not being found) but marianoi's post (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=1058964&postcount=3) quickly fixed that.

EDIT: Just found another little problem, when I try to go into full screen mode, I get this message:

"Unable to find an appropriate host video mode.
Adding the guest mode to the 'display' subsection of the 'screen' section of your /etc/X11/XF86Config and restarting X is likely to help.

Failed to switch to full screen SVGA mode."

What exactly is it tellling me to do here?

evand
May 30th, 2006, 08:09 AM
maybe a stupid question -

how do you set it up so you have a shared folder/drive between a vmware windows xp (guest) install and your ubuntu (host) system?

the howto worked like a charm, but for this to be useful i'll need a way to transfer files.... probably really easy answer, but it's late...

jontxo
May 30th, 2006, 08:57 AM
to share files from vmware windows with linux you only have to set up shared folders on windows. Then from nautilus go to archive -> connect with server.

to share folders from linux with vmware windows you have to right click on a folder and select share folder with smb. In general configuration of the files shared with windows select the name you want for you computer but for the workgroup put MSHOME, and select not to use a wins server.
then you have to add an user to samba, with the command:
sudo smbpasswd -a user_name
After that in windows go to net folders and there you will see on the microsoft windows net the workgroup of the folders you have shared.

evand
May 30th, 2006, 09:16 AM
thanks, that did it.

also, thanks to everyone. great thread. i think i finally solved my "i still need windows for AutoCAD" problem....

fingal12
May 30th, 2006, 12:55 PM
Hi, how do I uninstall it?

Thanks

Peturrr
May 30th, 2006, 01:06 PM
Hi, how do I uninstall it?

Thanks
The answer was posted a few posts above you.
In the same directory you ran the instal script, run : sudo vmware-uninstall.pl

fingal12
May 30th, 2006, 01:11 PM
Thanks for your answer
i tried that, nothing happend.

lulin
May 30th, 2006, 01:37 PM
Following the instructions I get this when trying to start vmware:

roger@lulin:~$ vmware
Using log file /tmp/vmware-roger/ui-8316.log
Dlg::GetButtonInfo(): Duplicate GTK icon/label pair: _Stopp and _Stopp
Dlg::GetButtonInfo(): Duplicate GTK icon/label pair: _Vor and _Vor
Dlg::GetButtonInfo(): Duplicate GTK icon/label pair: _Informationen and Informationen
*** glibc detected *** free(): invalid pointer: 0x09302b78 ***

bluenova
May 30th, 2006, 05:58 PM
Worked perfectly, thanks! (But installed xubuntu RC instead of ******* :D)

evand
May 31st, 2006, 04:26 AM
out of curiosity, is it possible to run mac osx (for intel chip) as a virtual machine? i'm thinking about buying a macbook later this year, it'd be nice to check out the OS first, to be sure I don't want a (cheaper) pc....

lime4x4
May 31st, 2006, 05:01 AM
i'm having the same problem here with installing vmserver on a 4 day old install of ubuntu/dapper and i don't have vmplayer installed
john@ubuntu:/tmp/vmware-server-distrib$ sudo ./vmware-install.pl

Failure

Execution aborted.

i also don't have a vm folder in /usr/bin

Grog140
May 31st, 2006, 05:01 AM
Has anyone seriously tested the performance you get with this? Or is it not even worth doing the requires a great deal of resources?

(Looking for a better alternative to Windows for World of Warcraft. Wine seems sluggish. I am thinking this isn't going to do the trick...)

Mr. Picklesworth
May 31st, 2006, 07:14 AM
Awesome...
Thanks for the tutorial!

I'm going to show this off to my anti-OperatingSytems brother (he routinely despises Linux, Mac OS and Windows... sometimes at the same time)... ASAP!
He'll either be trembling with anger at having to look at ******* and Linux in the same frame, or amazed by this application. (Yes, I realize it's possible from any OS, but it's only fun in Ubuntu).

Peturrr
June 2nd, 2006, 12:06 AM
Has anyone seriously tested the performance you get with this? Or is it not even worth doing the requires a great deal of resources?

(Looking for a better alternative to Windows for World of Warcraft. Wine seems sluggish. I am thinking this isn't going to do the trick...)

I don't think it's ready for gaming. At least not the server version. They are working on integrating Direct Rendering in the VMWare Workstation, so you have really almost the same 3d power in your Virtual machine as in your native environment.

Rackerz
June 2nd, 2006, 05:24 PM
darren@darren:~$ cd ~/Desktop
darren@darren:~/Desktop$ cd vmware-server-distrib
darren@darren:~/Desktop/vmware-server-distrib$ sudo ./vmware-install.pl
Password:

Failure

Execution aborted.

darren@darren:~/Desktop/vmware-server-distrib$

What the hell? I haven't even got vmware installed.

chinaski
June 2nd, 2006, 06:49 PM
thanks a lot Peturrr this howto worked perfectly for me! ;)

goahead
June 2nd, 2006, 07:02 PM
Sweet guide, perfect for a linux newbie like me..

Now i can remove my orginal xp installation and skip the dual boot thingy..

Whimar
June 3rd, 2006, 08:39 AM
Is there any way to get a file i save in my VMware session out into linux?

Basically i want to create documents in my windows VM then carry them across onto my dapper installation.

Thanks!

Rackerz
June 3rd, 2006, 01:15 PM
Ok no problems now, thanks it installed perfectly!

chinaski
June 3rd, 2006, 02:01 PM

Basically i want to create documents in my windows VM then carry them across onto my dapper installation.

Thanks!
hello, for me simple copy&paste works

Whimar
June 3rd, 2006, 08:30 PM
hello, for me simple copy&paste works

Mhmm not working for me sadly, also is there any way to get a 1920x1200 resolution for the windows graphics driver. Its got pretty much every res except that one

Hellaxe
June 3rd, 2006, 11:00 PM
Try with the windows network and copy it to dapper

kassetra
June 3rd, 2006, 11:50 PM

Thanks!

In my version, under Virtual Machine Setting -> Options, I setup "shared folders" and then setup which folders I wanted my VMWare session to have access to.

Then, it's simply in the network on windows.

mervg
June 4th, 2006, 04:58 AM
This post removed due to author's finally getting things right.:-#

However, when I completed the installation ov VMWare, and entered 'vmware' in the terminal, I got:

vmware: command not found

Any thoughts, anyone?

bigken
June 4th, 2006, 01:08 PM
Thanks for the how to worked a treat loaded winxp will also be trying win 2000
& win 98se :D

cjm5229
June 4th, 2006, 02:50 PM
Worked great to set up, but I have 3 issues I can't seem to get. My Windows guest will not recognize my USB ports, so no printer, no Ipod, no thumbdrive. and I can't transfer files between Ubuntu and Windows, Copy and Paste doesn't work, and I can't get networking to work. There is no place in VM to set shares, and Connecting to server in ubuntu doesn't show vmware. Leaves me no way to move documents between systems, Strangely I can access my Wifes computer (Ubuntu) and My Youngest son's Computer (PCLinux) and even my Oldest son's computer (WinXP), from guest Win, just can't get to my own. 3rd problem is no sound. I'm going through vmware's docs to see if I can find solutions, I used to have WinXP in vmpayer on Breezy and things worked well so I might try setting that one up later. I see VMplayer in Repo's, so that can be installed through apt-get.

Whimar
June 4th, 2006, 04:00 PM
Worked great to set up, but I have 3 issues I can't seem to get. My Windows guest will not recognize my USB ports, so no printer, no Ipod, no thumbdrive. and I can't transfer files between Ubuntu and Windows, Copy and Paste doesn't work, and I can't get networking to work. There is no place in VM to set shares, and Connecting to server in ubuntu doesn't show vmware. Leaves me no way to move documents between systems, Strangely I can access my Wifes computer (Ubuntu) and My Youngest son's Computer (PCLinux) and even my Oldest son's computer (WinXP), from guest Win, just can't get to my own. 3rd problem is no sound. I'm going through vmware's docs to see if I can find solutions, I used to have WinXP in vmpayer on Breezy and things worked well so I might try setting that one up later. I see VMplayer in Repo's, so that can be installed through apt-get.#

What type of ethernet device did you set up? Bridged or vpn? I'm having the same issues. I can access all my network shares on either operating system, except for the shares on the host and vm system.

Also what benefits are there of Player over server?

And does anyone know how to set the resolution to 1920x1200?

Thanks!

cjm5229
June 4th, 2006, 04:45 PM
#

What type of ethernet device did you set up? Bridged or vpn? I'm having the same issues. I can access all my network shares on either operating system, except for the shares on the host and vm system.

Also what benefits are there of Player over server?

And does anyone know how to set the resolution to 1920x1200?

Thanks!
Bridged.

I don't know if there are any benifits, I haven't used it for quite a while. I do seem to recall it was easy to enable sound, just click a button. and USB support worked. I'm not sure I was able to move files without using my USB Thumb Drive though.

cjm5229
June 4th, 2006, 05:14 PM
Well, the Player is easy to install, Applications>Add/Remove>VMware Player, check box, click apply, go to www.easyvmx.com (http://www.easyvmx.com), create your vmx file, follow the tutorial, (4 steps,all easy) install Windows and it's up and running. USB ports work , and sound can be enabled with a click. Only have Windows half installed yet so don't know about file sharing, but I can use my thumbdrive to transfer files if necessary.
:D

I now have Player up and running w/ WinXP installed. I looked through my settings and I don't see any screen resolutions for 1920x1200 either. There is a 1920x1440, My guess would be Either Windows doesn't support it, or the Install disks we are using don't support it. I think with player at least, just use one that comes close since it is only using part of the screen anyway.

mervg
June 4th, 2006, 07:03 PM
Anyone able to point me to the solution for this: after the successful (it said) install, when I try to run VMware Server Console, I get "failed to execute child process 'vmware' No such file or directory". I have the files in / in a vmware directory.

spockrock
June 4th, 2006, 11:23 PM
I had also had the following problem;

and as fire tuxpointed out this fixed it

thanks for the how to.

Peturrr
June 4th, 2006, 11:30 PM
Hey guys,

Thanks for all the positive feedback.
I will look into the problems people are facing in this thread and hope to respond with the solutions I find tomorrow.

GhandiBurger
June 5th, 2006, 12:21 AM
Will Windows games work on it? and how much slower will they be?

Omission
June 5th, 2006, 12:55 AM
OK everything installed fine, and I wacked in my Windows CD and the DOS Style installer all kicked in, selecting my partition etc and it started to copy files. After so long the screen simply goes blank, despite the HDD and CDROM icons still flashing.

I did a screen capture and low and behold the windows XP installation is there in the screen capture.. just not appearing on my screen in real time. Pressing ENTER lets me interact sucessfully with the installation ( Subsequent Screen Captures prove this). Its just not Displaying.

I'm running XGL and Compiz with an ATI card and I Imagine this is my problem, I'm just confused to why the DOS Style installation would appear but then go blank when the Graphical installer kicks in... anyone got any ideas?:-k

Edit: To add to the irony i've just installed VMware Player and loaded the virtual machine created by VMW Server and it actually works. Seems strange how it displays with the player but not within the server app.

mervg
June 5th, 2006, 02:03 PM
Here is some additional info re: vmware command/directory not found. Don't know if this will help.
Merv

[Error msg I get is - after the successful (it said) install, when I try to run VMware Server Console, I get "failed to execute child process 'vmware' No such file or directory".

Starting VMware services:
Virtual machine monitor done
Virtual ethernet done
Bridged networking on /dev/vmnet0 failed
Host-only networking on /dev/vmnet1 (background) done
Host-only networking on /dev/vmnet8 (background) done
NAT service on /dev/vmnet8 failed
invoke-rc.d: initscript vmware-player, action "start" failed.
dpkg: error processing vmware-player (--configure):
subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 1
Setting up bcm43xx-fwcutter (20060108-6build1) ...

Errors were encountered while processing:
vmware-player
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

Sq322
June 5th, 2006, 04:59 PM

@nomearod

@Peturrr...sorry to rehash...just to clarify. this will NOT allow me to access programs installed in a current windows ?
Is there anything that will allow for that ??

Peturrr
June 5th, 2006, 06:16 PM
@Peturrr...sorry to rehash...just to clarify. this will NOT allow me to access programs installed in a current windows ?
Is there anything that will allow for that ??
This will indeed NOT allow you to acces programs installed in a current windows. It allows you to install a completely clean windows, that can be used without rebooting your pc.

I don't know of any software that can do that, but maybe you should have a look at the vmware site. I guess they will offer such software (but offcourse that will cost you $$ )

Sq322
June 5th, 2006, 06:21 PM
This will indeed NOT allow you to acces programs installed in a current windows. It allows you to install a completely clean windows, that can be used without rebooting your pc.

I don't know of any software that can do that, but maybe you should have a look at the vmware site. I guess they will offer such software (but offcourse that will cost you $$ )
thx for the info, it seems that there is a way to use the vmware workstation to do this but it involves configuring a dual boot computer for use ...
ARGH !!
reinstalling my programs presents a time consuming nightmare for me :(

irv
June 5th, 2006, 08:33 PM
Following this How To I get to the point of executing the install scrip and I get:

irv@ubuntu:~/DownLoads/vmware/vmware-server-distrib$ sudo ./vmware-install.pl

Failure

Execution aborted.

Which is telling me I have a previous installed VMware, but I am not sure how to remove it?
I don't remember installing it. I did install VMware player from the package manager, but completely remove it before starting this install. Where do I go from here?

Anonimoes
June 6th, 2006, 12:31 AM
This is a great howto! The only problem I am having is that the virtual machine doesn't want to power up, I get the error message:

Unable to change virtual machine power state: The process exited with an error:
End of error message.

I didn't install windows xp yet so the machine is completely empty. Of course I tried different cd-rom drives, etc. Does anyone have an idea about how to get past this?

irv
June 6th, 2006, 03:12 AM
I couldn't get it installed on my fast machine so I install it on my 800Mhz with 300+ MB RAM, but windows took forever to load and it ran way to slow so I removed it. I want to uninstall VMware from two machines, and I tried sudo vmware-uninstall.pl, and it goes through the motions, but it dosen't seem to uninstall it.
Has anyone got any idea how to get it off my systems?
Thanks.

evand
June 6th, 2006, 03:37 AM
(in win xp on vmware server on dapper)

anyone have any tips on how to -

1 - get an ipod working (w/ itunes)? ubuntu and VMWare Server both recognise the ipod, and I can "check" it under the usb devices menu. It shows up in winxp as a generic "USB Mass Storage Device." No luck with it so far. It'd be nice to have itunes. nothing in linux is quite "there" yet (gtkpod is workable but dissappointing, and rhythmbox would be awesome, if you could actually transfer files)

2 - tweak the graphics speed? nvidea card, and I don't need any 3D games, but it would be nice to speed up AutoCAD, Photoshop, and Sketchup, which are really what i need this for right now.

still kind of frustrating because from powered off, to boot into ubuntu and load winxp in vmware is *quicker* than i've ever had winxp boot up natively, and to not have to deal with spyware and assorted windows annoyances is a dream, but the slight lag in graphics rendering is ](*,)

bluevoodoo1
June 6th, 2006, 03:41 AM
Following this How To I get to the point of executing the install scrip and I get:

irv@ubuntu:~/DownLoads/vmware/vmware-server-distrib$ sudo ./vmware-install.pl

Failure

Execution aborted.

Which is telling me I have a previous installed VMware, but I am not sure how to remove it?
I don't remember installing it. I did install VMware player from the package manager, but completely remove it before starting this install. Where do I go from here?

Does anyone have any ideas how to remedy this?

poyner
June 6th, 2006, 09:47 AM
Does anyone have any ideas how to remedy this?
yes I also had this problem. the problem was a directory that was left on the computer after the uninstall. I can't remember exactly but I think it might have been /etc/vmware Once I removed this directory (and the single file within it called 'locations' ) the install continued file. Try this

sudo rm -r /etc/vmware

dorts
June 6th, 2006, 11:20 AM
Follow this tutorial. Work great!! Including the Internet. Now, is there a way to transfer data from the Xp in VMware to my ubuntu? Because I use photoshop in the XP. (I find GIMP hard to use and lacking some features.)

givré
June 6th, 2006, 02:14 PM
What is the difference in performence between vmplayer and vmware server?

givré
June 6th, 2006, 02:15 PM
Follow this tutorial. Work great!! Including the Internet. Now, is there a way to transfer data from the Xp in VMware to my ubuntu? Because I use photoshop in the XP. (I find GIMP hard to use and lacking some features.)
You will have to share them via samba

Sq322
June 6th, 2006, 02:17 PM
givre...does that mean via samba i can use vmware to access programs on my existing XP install?

givré
June 6th, 2006, 02:30 PM
givre...does that mean via samba i can use vmware to access programs on my existing XP install?
Yeh sq322, what a surprise, you are everywhere :cool:
I guess you could be able to run some apps (never try it), but remember that you are limited by a 10Mb transfer (vmware virtuallize a real network card), so i guess it will not work well for a majority of apps (you can run at least notpad or paint :rolleyes: ).

Sq322
June 6th, 2006, 02:33 PM
Yeh sq322, what a surprise, you are everywhere :cool:
I guess you could be able to run some apps (never try it), but remember that you are limited by a 10Mb transfer (vmware virtuallize a real network card), so i guess it will not work well for a majority of apps (you can run at least notpad or paint :rolleyes: ).

almost as many places as you are :wink: \
Thx again for the 411

tmastran
June 6th, 2006, 03:15 PM
I've installed everything but when I run vmware I can not create a virtual machine. The only option in the GUI is to "Connect to a host". Most all other VMWare Server Console GUI options are greyed out. I tried running "vmware" as root but this did not do anything.

Any ideas what to look for?

I'm running the latest Ubuntu. I have no problem with other applications or compiling/installing in general.

dorts
June 6th, 2006, 03:33 PM
Can anyone help me with samba? How do you share files with my vmware Xp and ubuntu?

crouton
June 6th, 2006, 05:23 PM
givré: VMWare server is more full-featured, VMPlayer is intended for demos and self-contained images.

tmastran - VMServer requires that you 'connect' to the Server management console. You can choose to connect to 'localhost' using your normal username and password.

dorts - There are various threads about Samba, that will work for your XP virtual machine. It will need an IP address obviously, so make sure that the virtual machine has a network card 'installed'.

If you select the VMXNet driver, you should be able to 'set up' a 1Gbps network card. The added benefit of having virtual machines on the same host machine is that the host machine's network card is never actually utilized - file transfers and such actually occur at FSB speeds. The limiting factor will be the speed of the host machine HD, as it will be saturated transferring files long before the network card throughput is saturated.

Fedcer
June 6th, 2006, 08:09 PM
Thanks, great how-to! it worked perfectly here !

bigken
June 6th, 2006, 10:58 PM
I've installed everything but when I run vmware I can not create a virtual machine. The only option in the GUI is to "Connect to a host". Most all other VMWare Server Console GUI options are greyed out. I tried running "vmware" as root but this did not do anything.

Any ideas what to look for?

I'm running the latest Ubuntu. I have no problem with other applications or compiling/installing in general.

So connect to the host then create your VM the host is ubuntu :wink:

tmastran
June 7th, 2006, 12:07 AM
[QUOTE=
tmastran - VMServer requires that you 'connect' to the Server management console. You can choose to connect to 'localhost' using your normal username and password.
[/QUOTE]

Thanks! And thanks to the author for a great tutorial.

aktiwers
June 7th, 2006, 01:25 AM
Thanks for the guide, worked out great.

Wow.. its running as windows would normally! I was expecting lags and slowdowns, but it runs like a dream!

Anyone tested Games through this?

rgcrowley
June 7th, 2006, 02:49 AM

@nomearod

@marianoi
Running VMWare as super user doesn't seem be a good practice to me. But If that's the only way for you to start the stuff... So be it.

I've used both a Visioneer XP100 scanner and a Fujitsu Scansnap with vmware and they both worked ok. My experience is that vmware worked great except for having to shut down printing from linux in order to print from vmware.

Win4lin works fine for printing from both linux and windows at the same time but does not work with the usb scanners. It is also a bit slower than vmware. But both get the job done for me.

frozen chosen
June 7th, 2006, 03:06 AM
Problem : could not open/dev/vmnet8:no such file or directory,vitual device ethernet0 will start disconnected
This is what I get when i start xp in VM Ubuntu Dapper, I also installed windows Me and get the same error .
Newbie in over head please throw rope. And Thank You in advance Frozen.

bluevoodoo1
June 7th, 2006, 04:02 AM
yes I also had this problem. the problem was a directory that was left on the computer after the uninstall. I can't remember exactly but I think it might have been /etc/vmware Once I removed this directory (and the single file within it called 'locations' ) the install continued file. Try this

sudo rm -r /etc/vmware

Thank you, that did it!

Anonimoes
June 7th, 2006, 11:15 AM
This is a great howto! The only problem I am having is that the virtual machine doesn't want to power up, I get the error message:

Unable to change virtual machine power state: The process exited with an error:
End of error message.

I didn't install windows xp yet so the machine is completely empty. Of course I tried different cd-rom drives, etc. Does anyone have an idea about how to get past this?

Anyone?

OneSeventeen
June 7th, 2006, 07:46 PM
Awsome!

I have dual monitors and the left monitor has XP running nearly full screen (full screen blocks out the ability to move the mouse to this screen)

If there is a way to run it at full screen on one monitor while still allowing me to move my mouse to the other, please let me know, otherwise this is still really awsome!

Also, I accepted all defaults. When I tried to add it to /home/oneseventeen/vmware it said "vmware" could not be found...
So going with the defaults makes things insanely easy.

EDIT: I can't seem to get USB devices to show up... is there any way to share files between the VM and Ubuntu?

mervg
June 7th, 2006, 11:09 PM
I cleaned up the files from the first failed attempt to install vmware-server, started again, and everything went fine until this. I am new enough at Linux (Ubuntu) to not understand what is needed. /tmp/vmware-config0 exisits with /vmnet-only in it, and if the 'includeCheck.h' should be there - it isn't. So, how would it be created and is there anything I can/should do?

Sure would like to get this running.

make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.15-23-386'
CC [M] /tmp/vmware-config0/vmnet-only/driver.o
CC [M] /tmp/vmware-config0/vmnet-only/hub.o
CC [M] /tmp/vmware-config0/vmnet-only/userif.o
CC [M] /tmp/vmware-config0/vmnet-only/netif.o
CC [M] /tmp/vmware-config0/vmnet-only/bridge.o
CC [M] /tmp/vmware-config0/vmnet-only/procfs.o
CC [M] /tmp/vmware-config0/vmnet-only/smac_compat.o
SHIPPED /tmp/vmware-config0/vmnet-only/smac_linux.x386.o
LD [M] /tmp/vmware-config0/vmnet-only/vmnet.o
Building modules, stage 2.
MODPOST
Warning: could not open /tmp/vmware-config0/vmnet-only/includeCheck.h: Invalid argument
CC /tmp/vmware-config0/vmnet-only/vmnet.mod.o
LD [M] /tmp/vmware-config0/vmnet-only/vmnet.ko
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.15-23-386'
cp -f vmnet.ko ./../vmnet.o
make: Leaving directory `/tmp/vmware-config0/vmnet-only'
Unable to make a vmnet module that can be loaded in the running kernel:
insmod: error inserting '/tmp/vmware-config0/vmnet.o': -1 File exists
There is probably a slight difference in the kernel configuration between the
set of C header files you specified and your running kernel. You may want to
rebuild a kernel based on that directory, or specify another directory.

For more information on how to troubleshoot module-related problems, please
visit our Web site at "http://www.vmware.com/download/modules/modules.html" and
"http://www.vmware.com/support/reference/linux/prebuilt_modules_linux.html".

Execution aborted.

pepijn
June 8th, 2006, 05:54 AM
Requirements
Ubuntu Dapper or Breezy
A Windows XP Installation CD & Key
Internet Connection (+- 100 Megabyte file download)
i386 pc!!!! (amd/intel)

thank's for the howto, worked great on my pc.

Now this might be something everyone else knows, but I didn't. where i tested all installing ubuntu + vmware server on my pc, I tried to do the same on my powerbook G4. It took me the whole day to get the HFS+ partition resized & ubuntu properly installed (yes, newbee) to find out that vmware server doesn't support the G4 processor. So Ubuntu-ppc users, don't be fooled... ](*,)

Before running VMware Server for the first time, you need to configure it by
invoking the following command: "/usr/bin/vmware-config.pl". Do you want this
program to invoke the command for you now? [yes]

Your processor does not support the ^cpuid instruction. VMware Server will not
run on this system.

Your /proc/cpuinfo is:

processor : 0
cpu : 7410, altivec supported
temperature : 56-58 C (uncalibrated)
clock : 500.000000MHz
revision : 0.3 (pvr 800c 1103)
bogomips : 49.79
timebase : 24966218
machine : PowerBook3,2
motherboard : PowerBook3,2 MacRISC2 MacRISC Power Macintosh
detected as : 71 (PowerBook Titanium)
pmac flags : 0000001b
L2 cache : 1024K unified
pmac-generation : NewWorld
Execution aborted.

shuttleworthwannabe
June 8th, 2006, 06:43 PM
Ok Noob here so please bear with me.

1. My Ubuntu partition hda7 is about 7.51GB (4.47GB free). I have both root and home on this. The rest of my hdd has (hda1=WinXP, hda5=FAT32, hda6=MEPIS 6, hda8=SWAP, hda9=Kubuntu 6.06). During the VMWare installation, I want to put the Virtual XP on hda7 home directory.

Q's:
- What instructions should i type to VMware where to place the new XP: hda7/root/home/user/winxp [I will have to create a folder in home called winxp]??
- Is this space enough (4.51GB) for basic XP install? Then, I will be installing in this Virtual XP: Office2003 (1G), EndNote (50MB), SAS Statistical Software (700MB), SUN JRE 1.4 (180MB), SPSS statistical software (700MB), others (smaller programs)
- Now how would be installing all these programs in the Virtual XP? Do I just follow the same procedures as if I were in XP???
- Once the virtual XP is set up within Ubuntu, and I have launched the VMware window and selected WinXP OS, how does it know it has to boot up? IS this a stupid question? I am assuming that once in VMWare, XP feels and looks like the original XP??? right?

Thanks I am about to give it a try...wish me luck...! Oh, but first I have to track the stupid XP key ..is it on the OEM dics or should I just flip my laptop and check underneath it???

Many thanks, Peturr this is very helpful Regards,
swb

shuttleworthwannabe
June 8th, 2006, 08:54 PM
Great stuff. I just installed VMW and XP on to my hda7 (I allocated 2G only for starters). The basic install took 1.99G. All went effortlessly.

Just 1 problem. I used the OEM supplied XP CD, and was not asked about the CD key. But the annoying thing is that it keeps pestering me to Activate and when I plugin the key it does not recognize it all. Any way to overcome this.

I do not have sound: I am assuming we have to install the drivers?? or will it not recognize that?? Do I have to configure thi sin VMWare to tell it what audio devices to check??

I am wrting this thro IE6..yes, I know. But now I can have my Stats packaes running in Linux and do not have to boot!

Thanks,
swb

AModlin
June 8th, 2006, 11:19 PM

This is when I run "vmware" I have GCC 3.4 and 4.0 installed could that be the problem?

AModlin
June 8th, 2006, 11:31 PM
Tried to reinstall and getting this error:

Extracting the sources of the vmmon module.

Building the vmmon module.

Using 2.6.x kernel build system.
make: Entering directory `/tmp/vmware-config4/vmmon-only'
make -C /lib/modules/2.6.15-23-386/build/include/.. SUBDIRS=$PWD SRCROOT=$PWD/. modules
/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.15-23-386/scripts/gcc-version.sh: line 11: gcc: command not found
/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.15-23-386/scripts/gcc-version.sh: line 12: gcc: command not found
make[1]: gcc: Command not found
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.15-23-386'
make[2]: gcc: Command not found
/tmp/vmware-config4/vmmon-only/Makefile:89: *** Inappropriate build environment: you wanted to use gcc version 4.0.3 while kernel attempts to use gcc version .
/tmp/vmware-config4/vmmon-only/Makefile:91: *** For proper build you'll have to replace gcc with symbolic link to /usr/bin/gcc-4.0. Stop.
make[1]: *** [_module_/tmp/vmware-config4/vmmon-only] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.15-23-386'
make: *** [vmmon.ko] Error 2
make: Leaving directory `/tmp/vmware-config4/vmmon-only'
Unable to build the vmmon module.

Execution aborted.

No idea why I'm getting it though.

darknuala
June 9th, 2006, 03:16 AM
Is it possible to use your cd burner in this? I installed Nero 6, but it only shows a virtual device. And is sound possible?

shuttleworthwannabe
June 9th, 2006, 07:25 AM
Great stuff. I just installed VMW and XP on to my hda7 (I allocated 2G only for starters). The basic install took 1.99G. All went effortlessly.

Just 1 problem. I used the OEM supplied XP CD, and was not asked about the CD key. But the annoying thing is that it keeps pestering me to Activate and when I plugin the key it does not recognize it all. Any way to overcome this.

I do not have sound: I am assuming we have to install the drivers?? or will it not recognize that?? Do I have to configure thi sin VMWare to tell it what audio devices to check??

I am wrting this thro IE6..yes, I know. But now I can have my Stats packaes running in Linux and do not have to boot!

Thanks,
swb
Ok, hi there.
2 issues:

1. How do I get the Activation process bypassed. I have OEM cd. CD key from the COA back of laptop is not accepted. I ecen tried Telephone, but the sweet lady, told me that the installation ID was not valid.
2. Get sound going. Currently, no sound at all. Device not detected. EDIT: I got this working by goign into vm settings and adding sound card. works fine , though a bit poor sound.

blokus2006
June 9th, 2006, 01:04 PM
I get and error message when i try to install vmware. I am using a G4 Processor in a Mac Mini. the error message is:

Your processor does not support the ^cpuid instruction. VMware Server will not
run on this system.

Your /proc/cpuinfo is:

processor : 0
cpu : 7447A, altivec supported
clock : 1333.333328MHz
revision : 0.5 (pvr 8003 0105)
bogomips : 82.94
timebase : 41600571
machine : PowerMac10,2
motherboard : PowerMac10,2 MacRISC3 Power Macintosh
detected as : 287 (Unknown Intrepid-based)
pmac flags : 00000000
L2 cache : 512K unified
pmac-generation : NewWorld
Execution aborted.

What should i do?

shuttleworthwannabe
June 9th, 2006, 04:18 PM
Is it possible to use your cd burner in this? I installed Nero 6, but it only shows a virtual device. And is sound possible?
Sound: check my post below [your post], and above as sq322 puts it below.. ;-)

Sq322
June 9th, 2006, 04:22 PM
Sound: check my post below
U mean your post above :D

sorry its Friday..couldnt resist

Kure
June 9th, 2006, 07:21 PM
I am not quite sure about Linux, but I just _successfully_ booted running Windows XP in vmware (I mean while running one OS I booted from physical disk partition the _same_ OS+version+apps+everything in vmware).

To do so, while selecting the disc you want to use, do not select “Create new virtual disk” or “Use an existing disk”, but select “Use a physical disk”.

Select the drive you want, preferably the whole partition. I have Grub, therefore it is not possible for me to tell whether the original Microsoft installer would boot.

No excuses for not using Linux now, because this should remove the installation hassle.

Sq322
June 9th, 2006, 07:45 PM
I am not quite sure about Linux, but I just _successfully_ booted running Windows XP in vmware (I mean while running one OS I booted from physical disk partition the _same_ OS+version+apps+everything in vmware).

To do so, while selecting the disc you want to use, do not select “Create new virtual disk” or “Use an existing disk”, but select “Use a physical disk”.

Select the drive you want, preferably the whole partition. I have Grub, therefore it is not possible for me to tell whether the original Microsoft installer would boot.

No excuses for not using Linux now, because this should remove the installation hassle.
In short, this means i could boot from my existing C: drive on the partition that windows is installed?Thus keeping my data in tact and not have to start on a fresh VMWare OS installation
If this is for real Im Done!..No more windows ever....
Which VMWare product did you use.

Kure
June 9th, 2006, 08:23 PM
In short, this means i could boot from my existing C: drive on the partition that windows is installed?Thus keeping my data in tact and not have to start on a fresh VMWare OS installation
If this is for real Im Done!..No more windows ever....
Which VMWare product did you use.

I had Vmware workstation demo under my XP, right now I am installing Vmware server in Ubuntu... should be done in less than 30 minutes (if something like gcc versions doesn't screw up).

And yes, this means you should be able to run your "old version" with all apps. However, I am still not sure what bootloader you need to do so - I have Grub on MBR.

Kure
June 9th, 2006, 09:25 PM
OK, it BOOTS CORRECTLY.

I am using

Ubuntu Dapper Drake 6.06 LTS
2.6.15-23-k7 kernel
gcc version 4.0.3 (Ubuntu 4.0.3-1ubuntu5)
vmware server 1.0.0 build-24927
Grub in MBR
Windows XP

... and it works - I haven't tested any real applications yet nor know I how it would affect the Windows installation - at least it may ruin it and you may not be able to boot back to bare windows again because of huge amounts of generic drivers installed by vmware.

Kure
June 9th, 2006, 09:33 PM
VMware tools installation works.

Sometimes while one OS uses the harddisk on "low level" e.g. Windows installing drivers to IDE can block the second OS from working (Aptitute).

Kure
June 9th, 2006, 09:35 PM
... even sound + video playback works

nero2150
June 9th, 2006, 11:35 PM
How do I add guest mode to etc/X11/XF86Config
If not xorg.conf for ubuntu am i right. #-o
What do you need to put in the section screen /subsection display :confused:

shuttleworthwannabe
June 10th, 2006, 03:43 AM
OK, it BOOTS CORRECTLY.

I am using

2.6.15-23-k7 kernel
Grub in MBR
Windows XP

... and it works - I haven't tested any real applications yet nor know I how it would affect the Windows installation - at least it may ruin it and you may not be able to boot back to bare windows again because of huge amounts of generic drivers installed by vmware.

I tried vmware to boot native WinXp on /dev/hda1. It picks up the GRUB menu, and I can choose WInXP, but the boot process halts unexpectedly. I tried twice, then gave up (lest I get my system hosed)..Th e goo d thing is that I can boot safely into my WINXP.

I also tried a WINXP i had on a previous laptop hdd (that is now sitting in a USB casing). It does not recognize the /dev/sda for some reason.

But I by mistake had a USB memory stick in one of the USB port, and vmware picked tha up thinkling that there was an OS to boot. but obviously did not as this is a data USB stick.

Interesting

gharz
June 11th, 2006, 08:33 AM
i've been looking for the previous posts who experience the same problem with mine...

Failure

Execution aborted.

but i don't see any answer how to fix it.

initially, i installed vmware-player from synaptic until i found this forum. i removed vmware-player again from synaptic (complete removal) but i'm still getting the same message.

hope you could help me. i don't want to re-install my ubuntu because of this error message. i want my ubuntu to be the default OS on my laptop. windows is too bloated.

please help.

gharz
June 11th, 2006, 11:03 AM
guys,

i was able to install vmware.

i didn't see the previous post... it was just a simple rm -r /etc/vmware that made my day.

enjoy!

Sq322
June 11th, 2006, 12:57 PM
OK, it BOOTS CORRECTLY.

I am using

2.6.15-23-k7 kernel
Grub in MBR
Windows XP

First of all this is very good news for me at least
2 questions,
1)did you get a chance to try and boot direct to windows from startup to see if it caused any ill effects on the windows install.
2) is there any reason that you would not be able to map to a network directory under VMWare while running windows ?

kloshar
June 11th, 2006, 04:45 PM
When I want to power on my Windows 98 virtual OS, it says the error: No bootable CD, floppy or hard disk was detected. I wonder how, if I can boot from CD rom normally and run Windows 98 from startup boot. :confused: :confused: :confused: Maybe the problem is that windows are very old and I should use win Xp. :confused: :confused:

djsroknrol
June 11th, 2006, 06:37 PM
Thanks...I've learned alot and was just about to wipe my MS partition, when I had a foul up and had to reinstall VMware server...

I'd be really cautious about loading anything important on it untill this "beta period" stuff is sorted out...do they hope to continue providing this as a "free" product AFTER the expiration date in Help>About ?

skinner
June 12th, 2006, 12:11 AM
Hi... ive installed vmware succesfully, and tried it... working perfect... but i have a question about this program. i have windows XP installed in another partition before deleting it and using vmware for the programs i need in windows... i would like to know if it is possible to run the installation of windows xp i have allready installed in another partition with VMWARE... i meen... if its posible to run the OS i have installed in the partition... no creating and installing an OS with vmware. Thanx

stairwayoflight
June 12th, 2006, 01:31 AM
hi,

i have an emachines pc, that came with a "system restore disk" containing the os and some other crap. at one point i tried to reinstall windows, but on boot it would not install it. i got a console mode, and poked around, found a disk image and a prog by symantec, 'ghost' or something like that. i'm pretty sure it formatted my drive to put windowz on it.

i'd love to play around with vmware--qemu does it too right. maybe even dual boot again for games.. anyways i don't want to lost my ubuntu installation. i'd rather run it in a virtual machine anyways, screw the games, nothings secure anyways. i think in a vm it can't access my ext3 filesystem right?

xxrealmsxx
June 12th, 2006, 05:27 AM
I get this error when I try to install windows:

see attached.

Sq322
June 12th, 2006, 02:01 PM
Hi... ive installed vmware succesfully, and tried it... working perfect... but i have a question about this program. i have windows XP installed in another partition before deleting it and using vmware for the programs i need in windows... i would like to know if it is possible to run the installation of windows xp i have allready installed in another partition with VMWARE... i meen... if its posible to run the OS i have installed in the partition... no creating and installing an OS with vmware. Thanx
Scroll back a few pages to where KURE speaks about having done this

mms
June 12th, 2006, 04:48 PM
it worked for me, except that my application -> system tools -> vmware link doesn't work. I get this error: Failed to execute child process "vmware" (No such file or directory)

I can start from the vmware file in Home/vmware, though. Does anyone know how I can fix that link?

xxrealmsxx
June 13th, 2006, 02:31 AM
Is it possible to install Windows Xp off of a .iso on the harddrive? I mounted a winxp cd and it does not recognize it.

Billquinn1
June 13th, 2006, 01:44 PM
This guy has a guide useing Vista beta and pulls it from the iso.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=192328&highlight=vista+vmware

Bill

xxrealmsxx
June 13th, 2006, 02:46 PM
This guy has a guide useing Vista beta and pulls it from the iso.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=192328&highlight=vista+vmware

Bill

It worked, thanks!

John Jones
June 13th, 2006, 08:31 PM
I tried this HOWTO a few weeks ago, and it worked perfectly.

Then my system started behaving oddly and I re-installed from scratch. I've just spent a frustrating hour trying to re-download VMWare Server, and I just end up going round in circles; i.e. click on "First Time Download", log in, click on VMWare Server and end up back on the page with "First Time Download". Am I missing something? Or have VMWare just re-vamped their website?

Can somebody help, please?

Cheers,

John Jones ](*,)

drdnl
June 13th, 2006, 10:20 PM
Guy above me, cookies?

Just wanted to say thanks alot! One of the last few ties to Windows have succesfully been cut (Office and Mediamonkey), all that is left is gaming....

Again, thnx alot for a great howto
Regards
D

InDenial
June 13th, 2006, 11:55 PM
Hi all,

I just installed Ubuntu 6.06 TLS and vmware in which I installed Windows XP.

I have one serious issue regarding my setup.

I have an MSI Mega Book s270 laptop. The resolution of the screen is 1280 * 800 in the host operating system.

first thing I would like to know: Is it possible to let Windows XP within VM detect that I have an LCD screen?.. (Right now the refreshrate is set to 85 Hz, which should be 60) The reason it is set to 85 Hz is because Windows XP sees a default monitor which I can not change.

Second thing I hope someone can help me with is: How do I make it so that I can use the resolution 1280 * 800. I tried changing some settings in the preferences file but this had not effect. I also changed:

pref.placement.top to 0
pref.placement.right to 1280
pref.placement.bottom to 800

I also tried changing some settings regaring the autoadjustment of the vmware screen to the host screen. This too did not work.

Thanks in advance

SOLVED MY PROBLEM:
This seemed to be a XGL/Compiz problem. But I made it work and for the people that visit this thread for installing vmware on ubuntu using XGL/Compiz this is what I did:

I got it working. right now I have in front of me (actually to the left of me) a laptop running ubuntu 6.06 LTS 32 bit running XGL/COmpiz Vmware with an XP guest running in FULLSCREEN on a 1280 * 800
resolution.

I can not exactly say which changes made it work right now, since I tried a lot of different things. I suggest trying one at a time.

Setup

Ubuntu 6.06 TLS
VMware server 1.0.0
Windows XP home
XGL/Compiz

ATI Radeon Express 200M
running the fglrx-driver (latest)

VMware settings

Edit | Preferenes | Display
Autofit window true
AutoFit guest true

Changes I made

.vmare/preferences file

Besides the changes mentioned earlier in the post about the placements I changed:

pref.autoFitFullScreen = "FitHostToGuest"
to

pref.autoFitFullScreen = "FitGuestToHost"
I am not sure where I got this idea from but this had as a result that pressing the Full Screen button did not give an error anymore and went fullscreen. The problem now was that the desktop of Windows XP did not extend all the way to the sides of the screen. So if before pressing the full screen button the desktop had a resolution of 800 * 600 it would have the same resolution after pressing fullscreen.

/etc/X11/xorg.conf

I think this is what did the trick. I remembered from another thread about installing the ATI drivers that there was something in there about setting the LVDS. HOW TO: ATI Drivers v0.2 (Revised) (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=24557&pp=10). I added the following line since I have a laptop:

Option "MonitorLayout" "LVDS, STV"

Dilligaf
June 14th, 2006, 01:10 AM
Can windows in vmware write to ntfs partitions???
Can I boot my Windows install partition if it's ntfs??
Has anyone tried or an I the guinea pig??

Mike

ShiftyPowers
June 14th, 2006, 12:01 PM
this HOWTO was fantastic, works like a charm, no more rebooting in order to simply use Excel. THANKS!

kloshar
June 14th, 2006, 04:52 PM
Hi!

First of all, thank you for this excellent howto.

Secondly, I have a problem. :D When I press "Power on", virtual machine doesn't start my Windows XP, but automatically boot the cd and starts windows Xp installation. :confused: How to convience it to get automatically into Windows?

Thanx,
Peter

kloshar
June 14th, 2006, 04:54 PM
I have installed Windows before Linux so I want to skip that installation progress and go directly to Windows.

Ve33iE
June 14th, 2006, 05:21 PM
Hey guys
i just asking if there is any way for making windows xp find the nvidia drivers because its using the VGA driver for windows and its a bit laggy some times ?

Sorry if i sound like a noob only installed this like few hours ago :P hehe

RedBowers
June 14th, 2006, 05:43 PM
Excellent how to! Had VMware up and running in no time. Thanks Peturrr

InDenial
June 14th, 2006, 06:01 PM
Hey guys
i just asking if there is any way for making windows xp find the nvidia drivers because its using the VGA driver for windows and its a bit laggy some times ?

Sorry if i sound like a noob only installed this like few hours ago :P hehe

Not possible. Vmware uses the vmware drivers. Did you install vmware tools ?

kloshar
June 14th, 2006, 07:41 PM
One question more ...

I've installed Windows XP (formated previous version during installation) and used it normally. But how the things go on boot? Are there any problems as if I installed windows XP normally? I'm now really afraid of turning off computer, because I had so many problems with partitions lately. :D

kloshar
June 15th, 2006, 06:32 AM
I've upgraded the kernel and now vmware shows an error:

vmware is installed, but it has not been (correctly) configured
for this system. To (re-)configure it, invoke the following command:
/usr/bin/vmware-config.pl.

I do the /usr/bin/vmware-config.pl command, but it stops at:

Could you advice me what to do? My kernel is 2.6.16.20.

kloshar
June 15th, 2006, 01:31 PM
Please, I really need this. :-(

kloshar
June 15th, 2006, 02:00 PM
OK, I found out the solution. I suppose it has already been told, but it doesn't metter.

How to configure VMware after upgrading Kernel

1. Conditions:
sudo apt-get install buld-essential (GCC& so on)

2. You have to know the version of kernel:
uname -r

3. apt-cache search linux-headers

4. sudo apt-get install linux-headers-(your kernel version)

5. /usr/bin/vmware-config.pl

Bye!

pdwalpole
June 16th, 2006, 02:52 AM
What an excellent howto -- thank you so much. I followed the instructions closely and installed the VMWare server and Windows XP without a hitch. I have dual-booted into Windows for a couple of reference tools that I enjoy and could not get to work under Wine -- the complete New Yorker magazine on DVD and the OED version 3.1 on cdrom, and both work just fine under VMWare. I am one very happy (and grateful) camper.

mr_static
June 16th, 2006, 02:37 PM
Another way to turn off debugging/logging to improve performance in VMware Server beta, from the same blogger referenced in a previous post in this thread.

Not sure how much difference it makes, but there it is.

http://www.phunsites.ch/wp/2006/05/14/another-way-to-disable-debugging-in-vmware-server-beta/

And thanks for the howto, very useful :)

kloshar
June 16th, 2006, 05:26 PM
How to exchange files between linux and windows as virtual os? Is it hard to get files from windows?

steveneddy
June 18th, 2006, 05:38 AM
**Nevermind**I read the man pages for VMware. It was easy. Please forgive this premature post. -SE

To have sound support, add a sound device in the virtual machine settings.

OK - Could you tell me where I go to get sound while on my VM? I have Win2K running successfully on my Dapper and it seems pretty good. It is actually very acceptable, especially after ther VMware Tools installation. But I would like to have sound.

Thanks in advance - SE

**I was gonna add a screen shot, but it is on the Ubuntu Home folder - silly me**(it does look very nice)

**I am posting from VMware and Win2k, actually**

bigken
June 18th, 2006, 06:36 AM
In vmwae go to inventory right click guest OS and select settings the select add
this will give options to add sound usb ect ;)

E-Jey
June 18th, 2006, 01:57 PM
How could I exchange data between my virtual machine and my host OS. I've installed VMware tools and when I drag and drop files in to my virtual machine I get this error:

Unable to open: Virtual machine "/home/erik/Desktop/file.extension" is not in the inventory.

How could I solve this?

renwklo
June 18th, 2006, 03:17 PM
This feature currently only support Windows host to Windows client, that means you cannot drag and drop your file to the virtual machine if one of your host or client is not Windows.

To solve this, you can use Samba or FTP to share files between your host and client.:D

Se[BBB]e
June 18th, 2006, 11:34 PM
The installation doesnt work. It says "command not found" when I type "vmware". The menu entry says the same. The installation was successful, though.

Somenoob
June 19th, 2006, 12:23 AM
Great "how to", I am daily constantly switching operating systems due to games.

DAaaMan64
June 19th, 2006, 04:50 AM
What is the secret to getting usb to work? I have it activated along with sound, but I get nothing, I have tried all my ports... Is there something else I can test?

EDIT; I just read the instructions :p, you go to VM -> Removable Devices -> Select the device. The vmware will connect it for you! Awesome!

Se[BBB]e
June 19th, 2006, 02:34 PM
e']The installation doesnt work. It says "command not found" when I type "vmware". The menu entry says the same. The installation was successful, though.
I solved my own problem so Ill post the solution if anyone wants to hear... Writing wmware wont work, and neither will the menu entry. But when I go to the place where I told vmware to install (/home/sebbe/vmware) and click vmware, it starts.

toLa`
June 19th, 2006, 04:01 PM
VMWare is an awesome program -- I learnt the basics of Linux in a virtual machine using VMWare Workstation running in Windows.

With help from your guide I managed to get VMWare Workstation installed under Ubuntu using the new Kernel (I was getting stuck at the vmmon compiler missing, specify a location for a C compiler), and your guide (installing the dependencies / gc) seemed to do the job!

Thanks!

kloshar
June 19th, 2006, 07:33 PM
Hello! I have a problem here.

I've opened VMware as root (thought to change some settings) and now vmware server shows error when I want to open it as normal user:

Unable to add virtual machine "/home/xxx/vmware/Windows XP Professional/Windows XP Professional.vmx" to the inventory: No permission to perform this operation

What to do?

Edit: SInce I opened wmvare as root, I don't have Windows in the Invetory anymore. When I want to add it, it shows me error listed up.

Somenoob
June 19th, 2006, 09:14 PM
How fast is it? fast enough for playing games on it?

DAaaMan64
June 19th, 2006, 10:05 PM
How fast is it? fast enough for playing games on it?

Hopefully I will be the last person to have to say this in this thread.

IT'S FAST BUT NOT FAST ENOUGH TO PLAY GAMES ON

aterlecki
June 20th, 2006, 12:20 AM
I'm suprised nobody has mentioned installing the VMWare Management Interface on the server yet. For Dapper it is not smooth sailing and, in fact, I think there is a bug in the code so that the local Apache web server which is installed will not start on Dapper after a reboot.

Here are the additional steps I took to get it working:

1. The MUI needs an older libdb library (libdb.so.3) which isn't installed by default. This can be obtained by installing the libdb2 package:

sudo apt-get install libdb2

2. After a reboot the VMWare MUI Apache instance will not load properly. This is because it does not have the appropriate permissions to create the files it needs under /var/run/vmware/httpd. When it tries to create these files it needs first to create the /var/run/vmware/httpd directory but the default user and group that Apache runs under is www-data and nogroup and therefore lack the permissions to create this directory. As a workaround I added the following two lines to the top of the /etc/init.d/httpd.vmware script:

mkdir -p /var/run/vmware/httpd
chown www-data.nogroup /var/run/vmware/httpd

After these changes everything came up rosy!

Hope this helps someone.

Tony.

OneSeventeen
June 20th, 2006, 04:32 PM
After updating my kernel, VMWare server stopped working.
In #ubuntu, the user "NoUse" mentioned running vmware-config.pl.

When running that, I got:

Then I realized I need to rerun one of the original commands from the first post:
sudo apt-get install linux-headers-`uname -r` build-essential xinetd

It told me xinetd and build-essential were already up-to-date but would download linux-headers-2.6.15-25_2.6.15-25.43 and linux-headers-2.6.15-25-386_2.6.15-25.43 and install them.

Then, I reran vmware-config.pl (accepting all the defaults, as I did when I first installed the server) and all is well!

So, in summary, if you upgrade your kernel, be sure to open a terminal and:
sudo apt-get install linux-headers-`uname -r`
sudo vmware-config.pl
Then vmware should be up and running as usual! :D

rekahsoft
June 20th, 2006, 06:52 PM
I am having this problem (it is because i attempted to install vmware before without success). How do i fix this?

collin@RekahSoft:~/Desktop/vmware-server-distrib$ sudo ./vmware-install.pl

The previous installation was made by the tar installer (version 3).

Keeping the tar3 installer database format.

Error: Unable to execute "/usr/bin/vmware-uninstall.pl.

Failure

Execution aborted.
btw: i have unistalled all vmware packages with synaptics ;)

sess420
June 20th, 2006, 09:49 PM

Failure

Execution aborted.

I uninstalled vmware player and vmware kernels and restarted but it still will not let me install the server. Any clues or guesses would be helpful

sess420
June 20th, 2006, 09:51 PM
never mind vmaware folder was still in etc ------solved it

Trocisp
June 21st, 2006, 12:41 AM
I accidentaly put 20 gb instead of 10gb, is there anyway to uninstall it?

I feel like a turd... :(

jpepin
June 21st, 2006, 03:36 AM
For those of you that are curious...

As Kure said a few pages back it is entirely possible, and more convenient for some, to use vmware to boot an existing windows installation (as in a dual boot system) as a vm. I've been doing this for quite some time with vmware workstation. I haven't tried it with vmware server, but I don't see why it shouldn't work.

BUT..in order to prevent screwing up your windows install, you have to create a new hardware profile in windows that you use solely for vmware. That way, if you boot directly into your windows installation natively, your drivers, settings, etc, won't be screwed up.

I could spell it all out for you, but it'd probably be better to go straight to the source:

http://www.vmware.com/support/ws55/doc/ws_disk_dualboot.html

:mrgreen:

dorts
June 21st, 2006, 04:24 AM
I need help. My VMware Server was working well. But it now does not open. So I followed the instructions on the first page again. Now it still does not open. I tried vmware in terminal and it gave me this:

Unable to alloc client: Cannot open file "/home/dorts/.vmware/preferences": Permission denied.

VMware Server Error:
VMware Server unrecoverable error: (vmui)
Unable to alloc client: Cannot open file "/home/dorts/.vmware/preferences": Permission denied.

A log file is available in "/tmp/vmware-dorts/ui-10255.log". Please request support and include the contents of the log file.
To collect files to submit to VMware support, run vm-support.
We will respond on the basis of your support entitlement.

delar0cha
June 21st, 2006, 01:43 PM
hi.. newb here :)
i've installed win xp through vmware on drapper
and when i try to activate my ethernet on windows
i get this error from vm:

Could not open /dev/vmnet0: No such file or directory
Failed to connect virtual device Ethernet0.

i've tried bridged,NAT,host only-
but they all give me the same error as above but with a different #
after 'vmnet'

somebody help me~~~~~~

pellgarlic
June 22nd, 2006, 10:42 AM
How could I exchange data between my virtual machine and my host OS. I've installed VMware tools and when I drag and drop files in to my virtual machine I get this error:

Unable to open: Virtual machine "/home/erik/Desktop/file.extension" is not in the inventory.

How could I solve this?

it seems that the most commonly suggested solution to sharing files between the "host" and the "virtual" machines, is to set up a network share, using samba or seomthing, but that seems a bit complicated to me - if you have a usb drive, it is easily detected by the virtual machine, and "disconnecting" it from the virtual machine makes it accessible in ubuntu, without having to unplug it.

it seems to me that this is the easiest way to share files between ubuntu and the virtual machine, although having a decent sized usb drive would be paramount for large files - i have a 60gb external drive, and a 1gb flash drive, both of which work fine using this method.

pillypoon
June 22nd, 2006, 04:03 PM
Thanks for all the great info so far from this thread.. I am so looking forward to never having to dual boot again..

I am running into a problem because i have a w2k oem dell specific cd. when i try to install it in vmware the installation halts and tells me i need to be using a dell machine. (Iam using a dell machine but i guess the install cd is not able to see past vmware?) is there a way to force the w2k install cd to install inside vmware. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I tried using my copy of XP and it installs perfectly but it tells me i need to buy a new serial code.. can you believe that crap ? a copy of xp that I bought wont let me install it into my system . whats up with that? i know that it is suppose to be installed on one machine only but does that count if it is the same machine inside VMware?

So i guess if somebody can tell me how to activate my bought copy of XP without calling the big brother that would be great..

The whole activation scheme is what made me turn to Linux in the first place about 4 years ago.. good work Bill!!!

thanks pilly

43moon
June 22nd, 2006, 04:19 PM
pillypoon, when you finish the install are you allowing it to register online? That is the default option in XP, so if you change it and don't register it, that may resolve the issue. Just a guess though...

pillypoon
June 22nd, 2006, 04:27 PM
pillypoon, when you finish the install are you allowing it to register online? That is the default option in XP, so if you change it and don't register it, that may resolve the issue. Just a guess though...

I selected "dont register and just activate".. I have reinstalled XP on my machine so many times.. Sometimes it goes through and sometimes i need to call and get a new activation code.. what a great way to treat a paying customer. i am so sick of it.. I am not going to touch Vista with a 10 foot pole!! I am sure the final Vista activation code is even worse.

matrooswolf
June 22nd, 2006, 04:40 PM
hi.. newb here :)
i've installed win xp through vmware on drapper
and when i try to activate my ethernet on windows
i get this error from vm:

Could not open /dev/vmnet0: No such file or directory
Failed to connect virtual device Ethernet0.

i've tried bridged,NAT,host only-
but they all give me the same error as above but with a different #
after 'vmnet'

somebody help me~~~~~~
I don't know if this would be any help to you, but during the installation vmware proposed eth0 as standard option, but it was eth1, (that was the only thing I changed in the standard options ...)

Just my 2 (euro)cents

pellgarlic
June 22nd, 2006, 04:43 PM
[Deleted by poster]

InDenial
June 22nd, 2006, 07:27 PM
Thanks for all the great info so far from this thread.. I am so looking forward to never having to dual boot again..

I am running into a problem because i have a w2k oem dell specific cd. when i try to install it in vmware the installation halts and tells me i need to be using a dell machine. (Iam using a dell machine but i guess the install cd is not able to see past vmware?) is there a way to force the w2k install cd to install inside vmware. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I tried using my copy of XP and it installs perfectly but it tells me i need to buy a new serial code.. can you believe that crap ? a copy of xp that I bought wont let me install it into my system . whats up with that? i know that it is suppose to be installed on one machine only but does that count if it is the same machine inside VMware?

So i guess if somebody can tell me how to activate my bought copy of XP without calling the big brother that would be great..

The whole activation scheme is what made me turn to Linux in the first place about 4 years ago.. good work Bill!!!

thanks pilly

The problem is, that once you activate it on a computer it will remember the hardware which is IN your computer. So in the theory if you are upgrading your computer with a lot of new hardware.. you would have to activate it again because they think you are installing it on another computer. In your case the whole computer changed because you are installing it within vmware.

Just call them and tell them you bought a new computer and let them reset it. Or just say you bought it for testing purposes and that your hardware is changing a lot or just say you are installing it within vmware because you have to run a program which you did not find a linux substitute for yet... :P

Hmmm I wonder if vmware's hardware id's will change if you create a new virtual machine.

pillypoon
June 22nd, 2006, 07:36 PM
The problem is, that once you activate it on a computer it will remember the hardware which is IN your computer. So in the theory if you are upgrading your computer with a lot of new hardware.. you would have to activate it again because they think you are installing it on another computer. In your case the whole computer changed because you are installing it within vmware.

Just call them and tell them you bought a new computer and let them reset it. Or just say you bought it for testing purposes and that your hardware is changing a lot or just say you are installing it within vmware because you have to run a program which you did not find a linux substitute for yet... :P

Hmmm I wonder if vmware's hardware id's will change if you create a new virtual machine.

I just hate the fact I need to call Bill so I can reactivate my purchased windows.. Microsft has probably lost thousands of users becasue of it and the numbers are still growing. I wonder if i told them that i am installing it in VMware is that considered a different system? I already have xp instaled as dual boot , so is having 2 windows on the same machine against the eula? :-#

InDenial
June 22nd, 2006, 08:16 PM
I just hate the fact I need to call Bill so I can reactivate my purchased windows.. Microsft has probably lost thousands of users becasue of it and the numbers are still growing. I wonder if i told them that i am installing it in VMware is that considered a different system? I already have xp instaled as dual boot , so is having 2 windows on the same machine against the eula? :-#

first I want to say that I am not really fond of Microsoft. The things you have to do to make something work and the unportability of a bought operating system.

That said.. I do not find it strange that a company is doing things like that. You would probably do the same thing. If a burgaler breaks into your house you are going to make sure next time it will be harder for a burgaler to break in.. right?

MS is taking it a little too far though but as long they have the biggest share of the market they do not care what the result of those actions is.

But this is highly off-topic. so lets leave it at that...

Somenoob
June 22nd, 2006, 08:40 PM
I heard it has problems with detecting USB devices,

had any problems with that?

pellgarlic
June 23rd, 2006, 01:21 PM

i'm pretty sure this doesn't apply to installing windows in vmware - it only applies to an already existing installation of windows, where you want to change the hardware.

the problem pillypoon has with his "dell" cd is that it is restricted for use only to install on a "dell" pc. it has nothing to do with "changed hardware" - that is a different issue. i'm sure the cd would work on other "dell" pcs with different hardware configurations.

installing windows in vmware involves a clean install, so windows does't know anything about "previous" hardware.

as far as creating a new virtual machine goes, as long as the virtual devices selected are the same, there will be no problem - with physical systems, you can substitute the hardware for another part of the same make and model, without effect. it is only if you switch from an nvidia card to an ati card, or from an asus motherboard to a gigabyte motherboard (for examples) that it is an issue.

InDenial
June 23rd, 2006, 05:05 PM
i'm pretty sure this doesn't apply to installing windows in vmware - it only applies to an already existing installation of windows, where you want to change the hardware.

As far as I know, when you validate a copy of windows XP it keeps a certain file in your windows/system32 directory which contains your hardware. This file is checked against a database at Microsoft whenever you want to do windows update. So I do agree that this applies to changing hardware when the system is already installed, but I am very positive that it applies to the situation where you first installed it on another machine and then reinstall windows in vmware since the hardware changes dramaticly. In this case you would have to re-validate your copy.

the problem pillypoon has with his "dell" cd is that it is restricted for use only to install on a "dell" pc. it has nothing to do with "changed hardware" - that is a different issue. i'm sure the cd would work on other "dell" pcs with different hardware configurations.

I do not agree with that. The thing is that windows XP delivered Together with a pc is pre-validated at the company who deliveres the pc's. This means that it MIGHT work if you use the copy on almost exactly the same pc, but it will fail on a pc with a different configuration. Besides most of the time you just get a recovery cd which won't work on different hardware.

installing windows in vmware involves a clean install, so windows does't know anything about "previous" hardware.

as far as creating a new virtual machine goes, as long as the virtual devices selected are the same, there will be no problem - with physical systems, you can substitute the hardware for another part of the same make and model, without effect. it is only if you switch from an nvidia card to an ati card, or from an asus motherboard to a gigabyte motherboard (for examples) that it is an issue.

This only goes IF you validate your copy of windows when running in vmware. Once validated you are stuck with the hardware you got unless you let them reset the validation.

ewonk
June 23rd, 2006, 11:03 PM
This HOWTO worked seamlessly for me. I'm running on a dapper xubuntu and followed every step in the howto.

I'm on a Toshiba Satellite A15-127 laptop. Running the ubuntu 4.0.3 desktop under kernal 2.6.15-23-386 with gcc version 4.0.3 - oh I guess my gcc was different, however, I did install the 3.0 version of it. Maybe I have both or it got updated somehow?

Anyways, the toy is working and here's a screener.

http://static.flickr.com/54/173473281_a8c0ac5b1b.jpg (http://static.flickr.com/54/173473281_a8c0ac5b1b_o.jpg)

tokez
June 24th, 2006, 12:32 AM
**I AM USING UBUNTU DAPPER 6 WITH XGL AND COMPIZ INSTALLED AND ACTIVE**

i followed the howto are far as possible.

when i run 'vmware' i get this

vmware is installed, but it has not been (correctly) configured
for this system. To (re-)configure it, invoke the following command:
/usr/bin/vmware-config.pl.

so i follow the directions and it stops at this

None of the pre-built vmmon modules for VMware Server is suitable for your
running kernel. Do you want this program to try to build the vmmon module for
your system (you need to have a C compiler installed on your system)? [yes]

after selecting yes, i get this error output

Using compiler "/usr/bin/gcc". Use environment variable CC to override.

kernel? [/lib/modules/2.6.15-25-386/build/include]

Extracting the sources of the vmmon module.

Building the vmmon module.

Using 2.6.x kernel build system.
make: Entering directory `/tmp/vmware-config4/vmmon-only'
make -C /lib/modules/2.6.15-25-386/build/include/.. SUBDIRS=$PWD SRCROOT=$PWD/. modules
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.15-25-386'
/tmp/vmware-config4/vmmon-only/Makefile:89: *** Inappropriate build environment: you wanted to use gcc version 4.0.3 while kernel attempts to use gcc version 3.4.6.
/tmp/vmware-config4/vmmon-only/Makefile:91: *** For proper build you'll have to replace gcc -m32 with symbolic link to /usr/bin/gcc-4.0. Stop.
make[1]: *** [_module_/tmp/vmware-config4/vmmon-only] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.15-25-386'
make: *** [vmmon.ko] Error 2
make: Leaving directory `/tmp/vmware-config4/vmmon-only'
Unable to build the vmmon module.

Execution aborted.

thanks in advance.

slider
June 24th, 2006, 06:07 AM
tokez-

Reading the error message it looks like you have the wrong version of gcc installed. You need to install gcc-4.0

apt-get install gcc-4.0

Chances are doing that and then rerunning the install will work. If not set the environment variable CC to point to the gcc-4.0 binary before starting the build (man env)

slider
June 24th, 2006, 06:14 AM
I followed this tutorial and it worked great for me. Thanks a ton. I took it a step farther and followed the information here (http://macrolinz.com/macrolinz/index.php/2006/01/09/physcial-to-virtual/) to back up my old XP install using ntbackup.exe and restore it as a client OS in vmware. Works like a charm. About the only time I have to jump over to XP is to use Photoshop and for browser testing.

If you try it, make sure to follow the link above and read the comments. There are a couple gotchas that are real timewasters.

tokez
June 24th, 2006, 09:11 PM
I read thru 'man env' and figured to type the command ..

env CC=/usr/bin/gcc-4.0

this does not solve my problem ... i even attempted to run 'env CC=/usr/bin/gcc-4.0 /usr/bin/vmware-config.pl'

as you can probably see i am clueless :P please direct me in the right direction to forcing gcc to use 4.0
(apt-get install gcc-4.0 returns gcc-4.0 is newest version)

andylei
June 24th, 2006, 09:20 PM
i'm on dapper, and when I executed the install script heres what happened:

================

Installing the content of the package.

In which directory do you want to install the binary files?
[/home/Andy/vmware]

The path "/home/Andy/vmware" does not exist currently. This program is going to
create it, including needed parent directories. Is this what you want?
[yes]

What is the directory that contains the init directories (rc0.d/ to rc6.d/)?
[/etc]

What is the directory that contains the init scripts?
[/etc/init.d]

In which directory do you want to install the daemon files?
[/home/Andy/sbin]

The path "/home/Andy/sbin" does not exist currently. This program is going to
[yes]

In which directory do you want to install the library files?
[/home/Andy/lib/vmware]

The path "/home/Andy/lib/vmware" does not exist currently. This program is
going to create it, including needed parent directories. Is this what you want?
[yes]

In which directory do you want to install the manual files?
[/home/Andy/man]
The path "/home/Andy/man" does not exist currently. This program is going to
[yes]

In which directory do you want to install the documentation files?
[/home/Andy/doc/vmware]

The path "/home/Andy/doc/vmware" does not exist currently. This program is
[yes]

Unable to get the access rights of source file "./vmware-vix/bin".

Execution aborted.

===============

anyone know what went wrong?

bobc
June 25th, 2006, 03:36 AM
I am on Breezy and it workd nicely for me :p Thanks!!

slider
June 25th, 2006, 08:52 AM
Tokes-

Not sure why it would ignore CC. Only other suggestion is to link /usr/bin/gcc to /usr/bin/gcc-4.0

ln -s /usr/bin/gcc-4.0 /usr/bin/gcc

Make sure to remember where gcc points to first so you can reset it afterward

ls -als /usr/bin/gcc*

kopolee11
June 25th, 2006, 01:33 PM
i'm on dapper, and when I executed the install script heres what happened:

================

Installing the content of the package.

In which directory do you want to install the binary files?
[/home/Andy/vmware]

The path "/home/Andy/vmware" does not exist currently. This program is going to
[yes]

What is the directory that contains the init directories (rc0.d/ to rc6.d/)?
[/etc]

What is the directory that contains the init scripts?
[/etc/init.d]

In which directory do you want to install the daemon files?
[/home/Andy/sbin]

The path "/home/Andy/sbin" does not exist currently. This program is going to
[yes]

In which directory do you want to install the library files?
[/home/Andy/lib/vmware]

The path "/home/Andy/lib/vmware" does not exist currently. This program is
[yes]

In which directory do you want to install the manual files?
[/home/Andy/man]
The path "/home/Andy/man" does not exist currently. This program is going to
[yes]

In which directory do you want to install the documentation files?
[/home/Andy/doc/vmware]

The path "/home/Andy/doc/vmware" does not exist currently. This program is
[yes]

Execution aborted.

===============

anyone know what went wrong?

The same thing happened to me, and to tell the truth I have no idea what happened. However, I was able to install vmware by going back to the vmware directory and running

sudo ./vmware-install.sh

For some reason it didn't show the error the second time, and instead it simply skiped that step. You just then continue with the installation, all the way up to the installation key.

I know this isn't the most official answer, but try again, and see if it works.

Twizz
June 26th, 2006, 04:25 AM
I have the same problem as andylei. I cant seem to get it to work.

pellgarlic
June 26th, 2006, 10:08 AM
@InDenial - think we've crossed wires here - i'm not actually disagreeing with you as such - i just envisage people using vmware in a different way that you do, i think.

As far as I know, when you validate a copy of windows XP it keeps a certain file in your windows/system32 directory which contains your hardware. This file is checked against a database at Microsoft whenever you want to do windows update. So I do agree that this applies to changing hardware when the system is already installed, but I am very positive that it applies to the situation where you first installed it on another machine and then reinstall windows in vmware since the hardware changes dramaticly. In this case you would have to re-validate your copy.

to be pedantic :) it's not "re-validating a copy", since it's not a copy - it's a completely separate installation, unless an existing windows installation is "ported" into vmware, as i know is possible. but a new installation will need validation separately from the first installation - not because of hardware changes, but because it's a new installation. (the file which stores the list of hardware in the first installation has nothing to do with any separate installation, unless you actively copied it over to the new installation, which wouldn't work unless the hardware was exactly the same).

I do not agree with that. The thing is that windows XP delivered Together with a pc is pre-validated at the company who deliveres the pc's. This means that it MIGHT work if you use the copy on almost exactly the same pc, but it will fail on a pc with a different configuration. Besides most of the time you just get a recovery cd which won't work on different hardware.

yep - i think you're right there, and i was wrong.

This only goes IF you validate your copy of windows when running in vmware. Once validated you are stuck with the hardware you got unless you let them reset the validation.

agreed. however, i expect that most people would do it this way, as opposed to the "import an existing windows installation" way, in which case the "changed hardware" issue would kick in. once you create a "virtual machine", i think it is unlikely that you would want to change the hardware configuration, and as far as i know, there isn't much choice for things like sound card, display adapter etc in vmware anyway.

(p.s. sorry for late reply - no broadband at home :( do this all at work.)

m23
June 26th, 2006, 10:27 AM
I'm not sure if this has been addressed yet; there are way to many pages to read through.

Upon default installation of VMWare server, port 902 is opened up.

userid@host:~$ cat /etc/xinetd.d/vmware-authd
# default: on
# description: The VMware remote access authentification daemon
service vmware-authd
{
disable = no
port = 902
socket_type = stream
protocol = tcp
wait = no
user = root
server = /usr/sbin/vmware-authd
type = unlisted
}

If you're using vmserver locally, there isn't a need for this to be open.

To clos it, simply change
disable = no
To
disable = yes

Then run

userid@host:~$ sudo /etc/init.d/xinetd restart

Maybe the thread's author could add this to his guide.

InDenial
June 26th, 2006, 04:24 PM
@InDenial - think we've crossed wires here - i'm not actually disagreeing with you as such - i just envisage people using vmware in a different way that you do, i think.

to be pedantic :) it's not "re-validating a copy", since it's not a copy - it's a completely separate installation, unless an existing windows installation is "ported" into vmware, as i know is possible. but a new installation will need validation separately from the first installation - not because of hardware changes, but because it's a new installation. (the file which stores the list of hardware in the first installation has nothing to do with any separate installation, unless you actively copied it over to the new installation, which wouldn't work unless the hardware was exactly the same).

yep - i think you're right there, and i was wrong.

agreed. however, i expect that most people would do it this way, as opposed to the "import an existing windows installation" way, in which case the "changed hardware" issue would kick in. once you create a "virtual machine", i think it is unlikely that you would want to change the hardware configuration, and as far as i know, there isn't much choice for things like sound card, display adapter etc in vmware anyway.

(p.s. sorry for late reply - no broadband at home :( do this all at work.)

Crossed wires indeed.... ;) We are talking about the same... case closed....

tokez
June 26th, 2006, 09:47 PM
Tokes-

Not sure why it would ignore CC. Only other suggestion is to link /usr/bin/gcc to /usr/bin/gcc-4.0

ln -s /usr/bin/gcc-4.0 /usr/bin/gcc

Make sure to remember where gcc points to first so you can reset it afterward

ls -als /usr/bin/gcc*

i should have checked the links first :P thank you slider this took care of it. gcc was linked to 3.4 :/

easy solution :P thanks a ton

Don_DiZzLe
June 28th, 2006, 04:30 PM
Whats the difference 'tween VMware Server and Workstation and can I use this howto for Workstation instead of Server?

tiddlygoose
June 28th, 2006, 04:40 PM
I don't know about you but I could not get VMWare workstation running on Ubuntu. I was able to get the VMWare server running following the above instructions. Does it matter since they are giving it away?

Don_DiZzLe
June 28th, 2006, 04:49 PM
Nope not really, just curious though

fade510
June 28th, 2006, 09:15 PM
this code in the beginning is wrong
sudo apt-get install linux-headers-`uname -r` build-essential xinetd
there should be no space between uname and -r
it should be
sudo apt-get install linux-headers-`uname-r` build-essential xinetd

Somatik
June 28th, 2006, 10:53 PM
I'm suprised nobody has mentioned installing the VMWare Management Interface on the server yet. For Dapper it is not smooth sailing and, in fact, I think there is a bug in the code so that the local Apache web server which is installed will not start on Dapper after a reboot.

Here are the additional steps I took to get it working:

1. The MUI needs an older libdb library (libdb.so.3) which isn't installed by default. This can be obtained by installing the libdb2 package:

sudo apt-get install libdb2

2. After a reboot the VMWare MUI Apache instance will not load properly. This is because it does not have the appropriate permissions to create the files it needs under /var/run/vmware/httpd. When it tries to create these files it needs first to create the /var/run/vmware/httpd directory but the default user and group that Apache runs under is www-data and nogroup and therefore lack the permissions to create this directory. As a workaround I added the following two lines to the top of the /etc/init.d/httpd.vmware script:

mkdir -p /var/run/vmware/httpd
chown www-data.nogroup /var/run/vmware/httpd

After these changes everything came up rosy!

Hope this helps someone.

Tony.

do you by any chance know how to make a normal (not root) user administrator for the server? i can't configure the server options without setting the root password

Endwin
June 29th, 2006, 01:57 AM
I was able to install the server on a machine where I keep my files, and on my laptop I installed the vmware-server-console. I can connect up fine, create the machine, but when I turn it on I get

Error during launch: 11, The process exited with an error:
End of error message

When I check the /var/log/vmware/serverd.log I see...

Jun 28 19:07:08: app| SP: Retrieved username: endwin
Jun 28 19:07:11: app| Adding to list of running vms: /var/lib/vmware/machines/Windows 2000 Professional/Windows 2000 Professional.vmx
Jun 28 19:07:11: app| Attempting to launch vmx : /var/lib/vmware/machines/Windows 2000 Professional/Windows 2000 Professional.vmx
Jun 28 19:07:11: app| Error during launch: 11, The process exited with an error:
Jun 28 19:07:11: app| End of error message
Jun 28 19:07:11: app| VmsdVmStatePendingCmdFailed: cmd status is already set
Jun 28 19:39:46: app| Attempting to launch vmx : /var/lib/vmware/machines/Windows 2000 Professional/Windows 2000 Professional.vmx
Jun 28 19:39:46: app| Error during launch: 11, The process exited with an error:
Jun 28 19:39:46: app| End of error message
Jun 28 19:39:46: app| VmsdVmStatePendingCmdFailed: cmd status is already set
Jun 28 19:39:50: app| vmdbPipe_Streams Couldn't read: OVL_STATUS_EOF
Jun 28 19:39:50: app| SP: Deleting user session: 0 username: endwin
Jun 28 19:40:08: app| New connection on socket server-vmdb from host 192.168.0.3 (ip address: 192.168.0.3) , user: endwin
Jun 28 19:40:08: app| SP: New user session for user: endwin, pos: 0
Jun 28 19:40:08: app| The vm-list file has changed! Reloading the list of registered vms
Jun 28 19:40:10: app| SP: Retrieved username: endwin
Jun 28 19:40:15: app| Attempting to launch vmx : /var/lib/vmware/machines/Windows 2000 Professional/Windows 2000 Professional.vmx
Jun 28 19:40:15: app| Error during launch: 11, The process exited with an error:
Jun 28 19:40:15: app| End of error message
Jun 28 19:40:15: app| VmsdVmStatePendingCmdFailed: cmd status is already set
Jun 28 19:40:25: app| vmdbPipe_Streams Couldn't read: OVL_STATUS_EOF
Jun 28 19:40:25: app| SP: Deleting user session: 0 username: endwin

Any idea on what needs to me modified/installed/whatever?

nudaz
June 29th, 2006, 03:40 AM
Trying to install vmware server on ubuntu 6.06 server, getting error about liX11.so.6 and invalid serial number.

/usr/lib/vmware/bin/vmware-vmx: error while loading shared libraries: libX11.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Please enter your 20-character serial number.

- typed in serial number -

/usr/lib/vmware/bin/vmware-vmx: error while loading shared libraries: libX11.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
The serial number xxxxx is invalid.

Please enter your 20-chararcter serial number.

- repeat ad infinitum

Also, during install/configure got:

libX11.so.6 => not found
libXtst.so.6 => not found
libXext.so.6 => not found
libXt.so.6 => not found
libICE.so.6 => not found
libXrender.so.1 => not found

Any help would be appreciated, cheers

machia
June 29th, 2006, 01:48 PM
I got the vmware to work and I can boot to my Windows partition.Thanks for that mate :)
One thing I noticed was that I had Jagged Alliance 2 installed on in windows and it seems to work through vmware. It works smooth as well. It might be that it works through Wine as well but I dont know. My verision is the latest v.1.13 which has lots of cool updates :D

http://80.221.36.254/~machia/kuvat/vmware_running_JA2.png

Endwin
June 29th, 2006, 02:41 PM
Trying to install vmware server on ubuntu 6.06 server, getting error about liX11.so.6 and invalid serial number.

Please enter your 20-character serial number.

- typed in serial number -

The serial number xxxxx is invalid.

Please enter your 20-chararcter serial number.

- repeat ad infinitum

Also, during install/configure got:

libX11.so.6 => not found
libXtst.so.6 => not found
libXext.so.6 => not found
libXt.so.6 => not found
libICE.so.6 => not found
libXrender.so.1 => not found

Any help would be appreciated, cheers

I had the same problem aparently it validates the key through some X11 library if you install libx11-dev and/or libx11-6 it should work.

June 29th, 2006, 05:04 PM
I'm very new to Linux and today I installed Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper Drake on a couple of machines. These are fresh installs with no modifications. When trying to install VMWare I got error messages on both machines:

Setup is unable to find the "make" program on your machine. Please make sure it is installed. Do you want to specify the location of this program by hand?

I've got some books on the way, and I'll keep browsing the forums here. Any quick advice on where to obtain & install the make program, or any other essential tweaks is greatly appreciated.

genzo
June 29th, 2006, 05:10 PM
sounds like you need to install gcc.. look in the first post

pellgarlic
June 29th, 2006, 05:16 PM
actually, it's "build-essential" that's missing (it contains various programs necessary for compiling software, including "make") - you can install this from the dapper installation cd -

just put it in the cd drive, and wait until a message pops up saying "an ubuntu cd has been detected. you can now start the package manager". now, click the button that says "start package manager", and synaptic will open.

now click on the "search" button, and type "build-essential". click the square icon at the left of the name of the package, then select the "mark for installation" option. now click the "apply" button at the top.

synaptic will install "build-essential" from the dapper cd, then you can "close" the window (once it says that "changes have been applied").

now try installing vmware again. you should be good to go.

June 29th, 2006, 05:30 PM
actually, it's "build-essential" that's missing (it contains various programs necessary for compiling software, including "make") - you can install this from the dapper installation cd -

Thanks for your help! I think this is exactly what I need. Today is my first day with Linux and I'm looking forward to learning more about it.

pellgarlic
June 29th, 2006, 05:35 PM
hope you have fun :)

if it ever stops being fun, come here and ask for help - there are a lot of smart dudes around here who can help out.

Riona
July 1st, 2006, 06:03 AM
Followed your howto and am having trouble.
At the last step I get an error message
The path "/home/xxxxx/doc/vmware" does not exist currently. This program is
[yes]

Execution aborted.

I've tried reinstalling gtk and starting the process over. Any ideas on how to get past this error? Thanks.

abregenzer
July 1st, 2006, 09:11 AM

Execution aborted.

I was able to get around this by doing:

mkdir vmware-vix/bin

WaWeeT
July 2nd, 2006, 04:52 PM
hey....i didn't recived any mail from vmware!
and i am now in front of tape the serial number!
how can i get the serial???
can someone paste his serial here???

WaWeeT
July 3rd, 2006, 02:01 AM
aha...i found this in vmware's forum:

he serial numbers issued to you are available in your VMware Store account under:

VMware.com > Your Account > Account Home > Serial Number History

These are the same serial numbers that are emailed to you.

Cris987
July 5th, 2006, 02:31 AM
Can anyone help me with samba? How do you share files with my vmware Xp and ubuntu?

Install Samba. Go into "vmware xp" and declare shared folders/drives by right clicking -> sharing and security -> click on blue link in the "network sharing" box -> check box that says "share this folder" or something like that. Now go back to Ubuntu -> places -> network server and find your vmware xp computer.

good luck

Cris987
July 5th, 2006, 05:28 AM
Two problems are buggin me inside my "vmware xp":

1. I can't get my sound device to work. It seems like if I'm using my sound card in Ubuntu (amarok?), vmware won't allow it to work inside the virtual machine as well. Anyway to fix that?

2. I was installing Mvp Baseball 2005 on vmware XP , and it told me to switch CDs, so I did. But the installer would not proceed after that. It seemed like it would not detect the new CD or something. What's wrong?

tzulberti
July 5th, 2006, 11:05 AM
Thanks cris987 y was looking for that tip. This How-to worked perfect in my ubuntu drapper.

qrm
July 6th, 2006, 06:08 AM
hi,

I allocated 8 Gigabytes of space from my HDD to my XP install but somehow i succeeded to mess the XP install up. Is there a way to regain the space? Ive deleted the virtual machine from /var/lib/vmware folder but it doesnt seem to work

SteveHoffmanUK
July 6th, 2006, 12:00 PM
This is an excellent Howto, and the VM seems to be just what I need. It installed flawlessly and it is working as it should.

HOWEVER, I can't seem to get file sharing working. I followed Chris's instructions and installed Samba, then went into my XP vm and modified my C Drive to share it with others on the network. Then I returned to Ubuntu Places>Network Servers> Windows Network > MShome >Steve-Desktop but nothing shows as a shared file.

Chri987 (or anyone else): Any suggestions on how to correct this?

Many thanks

PhrankDaChickenGeek
July 7th, 2006, 01:58 PM
SCORE! Got widescreen working. I can now use Windows XP in fullscreen at 1920x1200

Followed this:

http://www.vmware.com/support/kb/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1003

Make sure to do step #9, otherwise it might not work.

acejones
July 7th, 2006, 10:37 PM
Trying to install VMware Server, but i'm getting the following error when running

sudo ./vmware-install.pl:

Failure

Execution aborted.
I had previously installed VMware Player, but I uninstalled it viy Synaptic. Any help getting past this would be great.

halfthelaw
July 8th, 2006, 01:40 AM
Is there any way (whether with VMWare or otherwise) to boot a pre-existing Windows install?

TheMono
July 8th, 2006, 02:39 PM
Question - Is it safe to use an external Hard Drive as the place for your virtual PC install?

jan
July 8th, 2006, 03:18 PM
Woow,

Windows XP on Ubuntu is just cool! :mrgreen:

rhipwell
July 8th, 2006, 05:11 PM
Thanks for the guide, works great!

mwolfe
July 8th, 2006, 09:36 PM
I don't understand how to install this.. I downloaded vmware VMware-server-1.0.0-27828.tar.gz
for linux and when i extract the file there IS a vmware-server-distrib directory, however there is no install script inside of this directory. I've looked through all the directories that were extracted and none of them included an install script (however i found an uninstall script)

Any idea what i did wrong?

Alright i know what i did wrong now, i was extracting it on a fat32 drive.. the install script was a symbolic link and for some reason symoblic links don't work on fat32 drives.. not sure why though

kpkeerthi
July 8th, 2006, 10:41 PM
Installation fails for me... BSOD... any clue why?

Shampyon
July 9th, 2006, 03:03 AM
This is a pretty cool guide. I'm in the middle of the install as I type. I have a question, though.
I accidentally made a VM Windows partition for XP, but I made a mistake.

I should have done:
# select 'Create a new virtual machine'
# => Next => Next => Select Windows Xp

But I actually did
# select 'Create a new virtual machine'
# => Next => Next => Select Windows 2000

I didn't notice until I tried to install XP on it and it told me it had the wrong boot strap (or something). How would I go about deleting it?

jISh
July 9th, 2006, 06:07 AM
You can just right click the virtual machine in the inventory window on the left side, and click Delete from hard disk.

Shampyon
July 9th, 2006, 06:10 AM
I have one little problem with that - I removed it from the inventory. I should have said that in my post :oops:

I'm also wondering how I'd go about giving the VM XP access to my files, or to copy over files into it, so I can use it to play DRM'd wmv's. I still haven't been able to get the sound working, either...

mwolfe
July 9th, 2006, 08:07 AM
sound is pretty easy to get working. Open up your xp server console, but don't power it on. You should see a button that says edit virtual machine. Click that, and then click the add button under the options tab and add your audio device. I chose auto and it worked fine.