PDA

View Full Version : Google rips people off, settlement for this cost them90million and their shares go up

RAV TUX
May 27th, 2006, 07:26 PM
http://business.scotsman.com/topics.cfm?tid=366&id=604872006

"Meanwhile, an Arkansas judge has approved a preliminary settlement of $90m between Google and disgruntled advertisers. They had claimed that the search provider overcharged them for adverts and that they were billed for false customer leads.

Google has to pay up to $60m in future advertising credits, and up to $30m is available to pay lawyers for those making claims against Google. "We are pleased that we were able to reach an agreement," said Google's lawyer, Daralyn Durie."

mostwanted
May 27th, 2006, 07:30 PM
Meh... I'm a Google fan. I don't think they're evil, but they're still corporate - they need to make money. What I like about Google is they give me a nice gigantic mail account and actively support open source, like they do in the Summer of Code event.

RAV TUX
May 27th, 2006, 07:35 PM
Meh... I'm a Google fan. I don't think they're evil, but they're still corporate - they need to make money. What I like about Google is they give me a nice gigantic mail account and actively support open source, like they do in the Summer of Code event.

good point about supporting open source...but remember they support things that will be for their benefit(not necessarily a bad thing).

nice gigantic email is nice but I could never use such space for e-mail purposes.

Now if they bundled a online music player and storage system with their e-mail accounts that would be something to write about.

helpme
May 27th, 2006, 07:38 PM
Go figure? look Google tries to potray themselves as an alternative to Microsoft products when in fact the same people who invest in Microsoft invest in Google.

Huh? What is that supposed to mean? That the same people who invest in one publicly traded company may also invest in an other publicly traded company and that this makes the companies the same?

Google is pure evil ! Thier page-rank system is an inherent failure ! The only reason they are popular is their name. and now they are in agreement with Dell to pre-bundle their crappy software on computers, a slippery sloop and one step closer to becoming just like Microsoft.

Google still works best for me for searching, that's why I use them and how is installing google apps even comparable to MS? Does Google have a monopoly on the desktop it illegaly uses to gain market share in an other area? Did I miss something?

With Google settlement, proves that they are crooks.

How so?

helpme
May 27th, 2006, 07:39 PM
good point about supporting open source...but remember they support things that will be for their benefit.

How would that be a bad thing?
Besides, how exactly do goole benefit from their SoC?

RAV TUX
May 27th, 2006, 08:17 PM
for those who like the page-rank system, stick with Google.

mostwanted
May 27th, 2006, 08:20 PM
I liked it a few days ago when a search for "monkeyblog" returned my site at the top. I'm not as fond of it now, when it only mentions the guide and not the site itself :p

RAV TUX
May 27th, 2006, 08:28 PM
I liked it a few days ago when a search for "monkeyblog" returned my site at the top. I'm not as fond of it now, when it only mentions the guide and not the site itself :p

for comparision use the twin engine

http://twingine.com/

helpme
May 27th, 2006, 08:33 PM
type in a search for relevant information, what I find ethically wrong with the page-rank system is when you type in Jew, and Google gives you Jewwatch an anti-semetic website, now at #2 for the longest was #1.

They hide behind the neutrality of the page-rank system. neutral like Switzerland!
(if you don't understand that comment don't ask for explanation)

I understand this comment, that's why I know it doesn't make sense.
Also, google simply reflects what people assign relevance to on the internet, so if a lot of people assign relevance to this sickening crap, that tells us a lot about how rotten may people are, but not really anything about google.

RavenOfOdin
May 27th, 2006, 08:34 PM
EDIT: Forget it, I'm not going to contribute to the senseless hijacking of a thread.

Stormy Eyes
May 27th, 2006, 08:37 PM
Hmm? Google screwed over advertisers?! EXCELLENT!

RAV TUX
May 27th, 2006, 08:41 PM
Also, google simply reflects what people assign relevance to on the internet, so if a lot of people assign relevance to this sickening crap, that tells us a lot about how rotten may people are, but not really anything about google.

you have a good point.

Google is very popular among users and they have a good business model.

I choose not to use them for whatever reason and others choose to use them, honestly I often use Webcrawler as my search engine which includes Google among their list of search engines.
http://www.webcrawler.com/

The hottest preformer in search engines on the stock market isn't Google but Navar from NHN Corp. not bad for a South Korean corp. (Google can't even crack into the South Korean market, last I checked they were at 14%)

I wish there was something like this available in English.

RAV TUX
May 27th, 2006, 08:46 PM
Hmm? Google screwed over advertisers?! EXCELLENT!
another excellent point, maybe Google isn't so bad after all,...

(I take back all the bad things I said bad about Google)