PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Trying Ubuntu with an older machine....

jfabian77
August 24th, 2011, 04:51 AM
So, I've got a few machines running a couple different versions of Ubuntu and doin fine.:D

However, I'm trying to install the 32 bit version of Natty on my older tower(Pentium 4 3Ghz HT, 2G RAM, an old KDS CRT). I can get to the install menu but if I try or install I get the attached error, freeze, and done.

I thought it might have have been video mode so I tried a few of the options vga=791,792. None of it matters, all the same result.

Any ideas?

MAFoElffen
August 24th, 2011, 09:02 AM
So, I've got a few machines running a couple different versions of Ubuntu and doin fine.:D

However, I'm trying to install the 32 bit version of Natty on my older tower(Pentium 4 3Ghz HT, 2G RAM, an old KDS CRT). I can get to the install menu but if I try or install I get the attached error, freeze, and done.

I thought it might have have been video mode so I tried a few of the options vga=791,792. None of it matters, all the same result.

Any ideas?
I've got a few... First go to my sticky:
Sticky: [all variants] Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1743535)
and read post 1 and 3...

Go through the Trouble Shooting Flow Chart and pay attention in post 3 on getting to the kernel boot options from the LiveCD with the <F6> key...

Your first goal is to get that box to run the LiveCD. Once those details are worked out, an install will be easier and less painless.

One thing that is going to help me help you, is letting me know what video hardware it has...