PDA

View Full Version : 10.04 LTS slowing to a crawl

traigo
August 24th, 2011, 03:54 AM
I have 3 yo hardware but it's still good specs. Dual-core AMD 2.2 Ghz x64, 4Gb RAM, Intel NIC, GeForce 8600 GTS 512Mb. I had 8.04 installed and upgraded to 8.10 at one point. It was snappy and I loved it. It wasn't until I was unable to get any updates that I decided to upgrade to 10.04 LTS. Really, it was because chrome refused outright to upgrade anymore. It took some work and lots of searching to get compiz to act correctly. I had to force a few libs to the older versions. After 2 months I got used to the UI being sluggish but network speed has just become unbareable. Speedtest.net showed 0.1MiB up and 0.07MiB down. Both should be obove 1 (verified on another pc). It took 22 min to copy 65Mb over Samba today. Pages take forever to load. I ran knoppix 6.7 LiveCD and it was as fast as ever. What can I do at this point?

jfed
August 24th, 2011, 05:38 AM
GOOD. LORD.

I don't even know thats just down right atrocious! I mean I'm sure someone could come along and offer you a few tweeks to make it a bit faster but I'm thinking just re-install it, use 10.10 or 11.04 if you don't mind Unity, and if you do you can get KDE or something.

Seriously thats the only thing I would even try that reminds me of like Dail-up windows 95 speed, wow. :lolflag: