PDA

View Full Version : Dell and Google team up in bid to break Windows

shuttleworthwannabe
May 27th, 2006, 06:38 PM
This is going to be a good fight to follow: http://business.scotsman.com/technology.cfm?id=781392006

Wonder what the OS will be? if ever they decide to install it on new Dells? The last paragraph sound like it mey still be Windows? Goobuntu or not to Go-Buntu?

Minyaliel
May 27th, 2006, 06:46 PM
Who didn't see it coming... Google's going evil...

thero
May 27th, 2006, 06:48 PM

how?

RAV TUX
May 27th, 2006, 06:49 PM

interesting.

mostwanted
May 27th, 2006, 07:01 PM
Wow, if this means Firefox on every Dull from now on, then it is a really big deal!

I don't think it's about an OS, but rather Google's branded software pack.

RAV TUX
May 27th, 2006, 07:09 PM

Yes, they never mention anything about an OS...

I found this more interesting:

"Today's tie-up follows news that Yahoo! and online auctioneer eBay are banding together to fight growing competition from both Google and Microsoft.

Under that partnership, Yahoo! will be the exclusive provider of graphical, branded advertising on eBay's website.

Microsoft had talked with both Yahoo! and eBay about strengthening ties to fend off Google.

The agreement between Dell and Google marks the second time in two weeks that the world's largest PC company has aligned itself with a firm that poses a threat to an industry leader.

Last week, Dell confirmed it would start using some processing chips made by Advanced Micro Devices (AMD), which has been chipping away at the market share of bigger rival Intel."

Mathias-K
May 27th, 2006, 07:10 PM
Wow, if this means Firefox on every Dull from now on, then it is a really big deal!

That would be a big deal and a major climb in users for Firefox and free web formats. Perhaps this can be helpful in preserving the freedom of photo formats now that WMP is on it's way.

Minyaliel
May 27th, 2006, 07:22 PM
WMP? What's that? *hasn't really kept up-to-date on the techie front*

mostwanted
May 27th, 2006, 07:24 PM
New proprietary image format by MS. There's another topic about it.