PDA

View Full Version : First program in Linux!

Master Shake
May 27th, 2006, 04:29 PM
Yay! I wrote my first program in linux! Its a stupid little game, in which the object is to make a square with O's by clicking the buttons.

It was programmed in REALBasic.

Enjoy my stupid little program!

Kvark
May 27th, 2006, 06:29 PM
A binary and no source? I hope people won't actually try random binaries from an online forum even if the poster isn't a newcommer.

Besides, I'm curious on what souce code in this REALBasic language looks like. Because programs in old classic Basic tend to be such a complicated spaghetti mess that some even think learning the language makes you a bad programmer for life. While Visual Basic on the other hand is often said to be the best beginner language.

Edit: I know classic Basic and it really is a complicated mess but I don't know anything about Visual Basic so I hope nobody takes it as a recommendation when I say I have heard others say that it's good for beginners.

Master Shake
May 27th, 2006, 07:31 PM
To read the source, you need RB first... http://www.realbasic.com/

Here's the binary with source.

My thing is that C, C++ make absolutely no sense to me, and that it takes a billion steps to do something as simple as draw a square omn the screen.

Python? I've tried a few of the tutorials, and while it SEEMS to be easier than the C amily, I've yet to find a tutorial that is adequate for me.

As far as this REALBasic goes, I have some experience in Visual Basic, and RB is close to VB. THat's why I decided to experiment with it.

Kvark
May 27th, 2006, 07:52 PM
Lol, a source format that can only be read in one program instead of with any text editor, they must be friends with Adobe and Microsoft. Ah well, guess I'll keep my ignorance about the visual language family then. :neutral:

cstudent
May 27th, 2006, 09:34 PM
RealBasic is like Visual Basic, not the old classic Basic language I studied 20 years ago.

cstudent
May 27th, 2006, 09:38 PM
Cute program Shake. The first time I played it I won in about 4 clicks. The second time was probrably 30 clicks. You should have it count the number of attempts and display how many it took to win.

cstudent
May 27th, 2006, 09:54 PM
You can print the source code in RealBasic to a pdf or postscript file, but either one is 16.9mb for this program. It's not that long a program either, only 9 pages in large text. I have not idea why the files are so freakin' huge. :confused: