PDA

View Full Version : Up and coming MMORPG - Salem

MasterNetra
August 21st, 2011, 10:11 PM
Apparently a new MMORPG is on its way that will be Linux friendly, Salem by Paradox Interactive.

Salem is set in a fantastical New England and offers free form massively multiplayer gameplay in a persistent, mutable and online world. With players taking the roles of intrepid colonists from the Old World seeking to make lives for themselves in the New, Salem provides them with unique crafting, farming and building systems inspired by 17th century alchemy.

Cast in a mold of cute-gothic Salem's lighthearted art style makes for the perfect contrast to the otherwise grim realities of open player-versus-player combat and permanent death. Experience Squonks, Hidebehinds, Witchcraft and the fullest freedom of a sandbox conceived in Liberty.

Here is their feature list:

Massive Multiplayer Online Roleplaying Game.
Persistent and mutable world.
Crafting, farming and building.
Open PvP combat with permanent death.
Free to Play.

Kinda like minecraft meets WOW sort of. A developer goes into it in a vid which is posted on the initial page.

Website: http://www.paradoxplaza.com/games/salem (http://www.paradoxplaza.com/games/salem)

Basher101
August 21st, 2011, 10:12 PM
i am trying to imagine good minecraft gameplay + world of warcratft....seems epic to me lol. Certainly a very interesting idea tho.

MasterNetra
August 21st, 2011, 10:15 PM
i am trying to imagine good minecraft gameplay + world of warcratft....seems epic to me lol. Certainly a very interesting idea tho.

It comes across to me like a bit of cross between the two anyway, they themselves never made such a distinction of course. Its not coming out,though, until sometime the first quarter of 2012 though. Not too long of a wait I guess.

Lucradia
August 21st, 2011, 11:20 PM
I'm not playing anything with PK unless greifers / blackmailers / PKers get super deliberating debuffs.

I'll be fine with Eden Eternal (Which won't work in wine, and has no debug for Wine) and LIME Odyssey.

Sounds good, if it wasn't for the PK. I'm horribly slow at the keyboard, so I'd die a lot.

MasterNetra
August 21st, 2011, 11:52 PM
I'm not playing anything with PK unless greifers / blackmailers / PKers get super deliberating debuffs.

I'll be fine with Eden Eternal (Which won't work in wine, and has no debug for Wine) and LIME Odyssey.

Sounds good, if it wasn't for the PK. I'm horribly slow at the keyboard, so I'd die a lot.

Death's are perminate for characters I don't think griefing will be the big of a issue

Thewhistlingwind
August 21st, 2011, 11:57 PM
Death's are perminate for characters I don't think griefing will be the big of a issue

*Pulls the lever in the throne room*

*Is jumped by 20 players.*

Lucradia
August 22nd, 2011, 01:42 AM

This.

MasterNetra
August 22nd, 2011, 02:39 AM

Its a player ran world and from what've heard in the video, I'm gonna guess no "quests" He does say that after character creation your completely on your own and with Perm death I doubt people will be as eager to do such things anyway, especially if others start going after such players. But if you don't want to play a game where the players shape things and dish out the justice, that's fine. More land for the rest of us. :P

Lucradia
August 22nd, 2011, 03:04 AM
Its a player ran world and from what've heard in the video, I'm gonna guess no "quests" He does say that after character creation your completely on your own and with Perm death I doubt people will be as eager to do such things anyway, especially if others start going after such players. But if you don't want to play a game where the players shape things and dish out the justice, that's fine. More land for the rest of us. :P

Sounds almost like WorldOfKungFu, which is practically a copy of another game, run by greifing PKrs, even the GMs. Level 20, you get outside the town, you get slaim almost immediately by the single level 40+ player that sits at every single entrance to every town.

Thewhistlingwind
August 22nd, 2011, 03:34 AM
This.

Well, I'm glad someone got the joke. (I think.)

Lucradia
August 22nd, 2011, 03:52 AM
Well, I'm glad someone got the joke. (I think.)

Nope, I know about an MMORPG or two that has an area that has about 10+ players camping it for a boss that has an extremely good drop.

Thewhistlingwind
August 22nd, 2011, 04:09 AM
Nope, I know about an MMORPG or two that has an area that has about 10+ players camping it for a boss that has an extremely good drop.

Oh no, it's a reference to runescape. At one point there was (And still is I'd bet) a feature where players could own houses. (In which they were basically miniature worlds within the world.) There was also a glitch that would allow you to mess with your characters shown position on the map involving chairs and food. So in a house, in the "throne room" building, you could pull a lever that would do something to the 4 middle squares in the room. Presumably throw someone into the dungeons beneath. The worst of these could teleport trapped players to different towns, some possibly a great ways away from where you were.

So booby trap + abillity to fool people that your not next to the switch + ridiculous teleports to faraway places =

One griefing good time!:D

Lucradia
August 22nd, 2011, 04:15 AM
Oh no, it's a reference to runescape. At one point there was (And still is I'd bet) a feature where players could own houses. (In which they were basically miniature worlds within the world.) There was also a glitch that would allow you to mess with your characters shown position on the map involving chairs and food. So in a house, in the "throne room" building, you could pull a lever that would do something to the 4 middle squares in the room. Presumably throw someone into the dungeons beneath. The worst of these could teleport trapped players to different towns, some possibly a great ways away from where you were.

So booby trap + abillity to fool people that your not next to the switch + ridiculous teleports to faraway places =

One griefing good time!:D

Never really liked Runescape.

aaaantoine
August 22nd, 2011, 04:56 AM
Hmm... I could give it a quick run when it's out. If it's perma-death, there better not be any extensive character investment involved.

Thewhistlingwind
August 22nd, 2011, 05:01 AM
If it's perma-death, there better not be any extensive character investment involved.

Agreed.

My ideal MMO is the one that keeps people playing through addictive gameplay, and uses nethack style levelling where after a point grinding is worthless and other methods are required to keep your edge.

Quadunit404
August 22nd, 2011, 05:04 AM
It's set in New England.

If I liked MMORPGs I'd get this because New England pride.

Oxwivi
August 22nd, 2011, 09:05 AM
F2P or P2P?

kaizokuroof
August 22nd, 2011, 01:29 PM
All you people are retarded. This game will be the best game existence, aside from the original: Haven and Hearth which can be found here http://www.havenandhearth.com/portal/

It is free too play and Salem will also be Free to play, however they will be having a cash shop.

I have played this game for 10 weeks of my real life and have enjoyed it. Please don't compare it to runescape or minecraft because you just can't do that.

- Looking forward to smashing all you nubs in game, Perma death ftw.

- Your lonely loser, Kaizokuroof.

sffvba[e0rt
August 22nd, 2011, 01:59 PM
I don't think I would want to play in a game with perma-death... It is after all a "game"...

Oxwivi
August 22nd, 2011, 03:48 PM
All you people are retarded.
You may have valid points, but calling others retarded is uncalled for.

- Looking forward to smashing all you nubs in game, Perma death ftw.
And for the same reason, many others will not enjoy it.

I don't think I would want to play in a game with perma-death... It is after all a "game"...

Give and take - if you're dead it's permanent, but if you accomplish something and live for long, it will feel more , y'know...

sffvba[e0rt
August 22nd, 2011, 04:17 PM
Give and take if you're dead it's permanent, but if you accomplish something and live for long, it will feel more , y'know...

... I doubt that I will one day look back on a life well lived because I never died in a game... But that might just be me ;)

Lucradia
August 22nd, 2011, 05:04 PM
All you people are retarded.

Guess you love to blackmail people by telling them you won't kill them if they give you gold; but kill them anyway?

ZarathustraDK
August 22nd, 2011, 05:49 PM
Perma-death, and every time you die you have to pay $10 to create a new char. And players drop all their loot when killed, even stuff stored in banks/whatever.

Lucradia
August 22nd, 2011, 05:50 PM
Perma-death, and every time you die you have to pay $10 to create a new char. And players drop all their loot when killed, even stuff stored in banks/whatever.

Good grief! *stays far, far away*

BeRoot ReBoot
August 22nd, 2011, 06:31 PM

Wait, wat? [citation needed] on that one, didn't notice it anywhere else. The interview said it's free to play. Personally, I can't wait for this, I love playing against other, real people, and if it has actual consequences beyond having to wait to respawn, that's much more exciting than generic deathmatch FPSes. Although I can imagine this won't be very attractive to most MMO players who are used to never losing anything.

Thewhistlingwind
August 22nd, 2011, 06:39 PM
Wait, wat? [citation needed] on that one, didn't notice it anywhere else. The interview said it's free to play.

Yeah, they're advertising as f2p.

ZarathustraDK
August 23rd, 2011, 08:20 AM
Chill it was a joke ^^