PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Keyboard Works with Ubuntu but NOT with Microsoft -- LOL!!

tuebinger
August 21st, 2011, 10:05 PM
I got this Microsoft bluetooth keyboard as a gift and was using it with Microsoft Windows as well as Ubuntu, when all of a sudden (in windows) it went into search mode and wouldn't come out of it. I thought it was busted and was ready to send it to Microsoft for a replacement, then I decided on a lark to start up Ubuntu and see if it still works with Ubuntu. It works beautifully under Ubuntu!

I thought if anything would be compatible with Windows it would be a Microsoft product.

I guess I was wrong!

:D

hyperdude111
August 21st, 2011, 10:19 PM
I have a microsoft keyboard that worked OOTB with ubuntu but needed me to install drivers with windows !

MasterNetra
August 21st, 2011, 10:22 PM
Microsoft probably purposely left the drivers out (assuming the keyboard wasn't built post Win7) in order to ensure that Windows 7 would fit on a DVD.

ninjaaron
August 21st, 2011, 10:38 PM
I've not tried this combo, but it's true that I've had at least as many hardware problems with Windows as with Linux. Windows has always worked with the core system it came on, and Ubuntu not necessarily (for obvious reasons). Peripherals have generally worked better with Ubuntu (though there are also been problems there sometimes).

Lesson: Operating systems don't suck. Hardware sucks. Spend as little money on it as possible because none of it works right, and it will all break your system. I'm eagerly awaiting the day when all of my hardware is stored in the cloud.

The cheapest, "crappiest" system I ever bought is the one that worked the best with both Windows and Ubuntu cause it has Intel video and sound cards, and intel knows how to make their **** work (hint: by making all of the drivers open source). Of course, the natural thing to do in that scenario is to delete Windows because Ubuntu works perfectly. I did so, after playing through StarCraft (I always play Starcraft when I get a new machine before deleting windows).

kaldor
August 21st, 2011, 11:47 PM
To be honest, MS makes some really cool and good quality keyboards.

walt.smith1960
August 21st, 2011, 11:55 PM

Microsoft does indeed make some nice hardware. They made a very nice trackball but discontinued it-I was not happy about that.

speedwell68
August 22nd, 2011, 12:11 AM
I have a microsoft keyboard that worked OOTB with ubuntu but needed me to install drivers with windows !

This is what I found with my MS Comfort Curve 2000.

Mice too. I have always had Microsoft mice and keyboards, they really are good products and well priced too. I still have an original Intellimouse that shipped with Office '97, still works too.

kaldor
August 22nd, 2011, 01:13 AM
This is what I found with my MS Comfort Curve 2000.

Mice too. I have always had Microsoft mice and keyboards, they really are good products and well priced too. I still have an original Intellimouse that shipped with Office '97, still works too.

Not really fond of their mice. I'm quite picky when it comes to them, though.