PDA

View Full Version : A Fast CD Ripper?

Biltong (Dee)
May 27th, 2006, 01:48 PM
I have the brand new windows media player installed at work, and when offered a Cranberries CD, proceeded to rip it apart and spit out the bones 10 minutes later.

Now I am at home, (back in Ubuntu turf), and I swear I think Sound Juicer may finish ripping the same CD this time tomorrow!

Surely there is a faster ripper out there?

Kernel Sanders
May 27th, 2006, 01:58 PM
I have the brand new windows media player installed at work, and when offered a Cranberries CD, proceeded to rip it apart and spit out the bones 10 minutes later.

Now I am at home, (back in Ubuntu turf), and I swear I think Sound Juicer may finish ripping the same CD this time tomorrow!

Surely there is a faster ripper out there?

Windows Media Player in wine :mrgreen:

Biltong (Dee)
May 27th, 2006, 01:59 PM
Only if there is no other option...:-)

mostwanted
May 27th, 2006, 02:03 PM
Sound Juicer is about 2 to 3 times faster at ripping Ogg Vorbis in Dapper than it is in Breezy (for me). I get about 8x average while iTunes in Windows is about 10x average at ripping into AAC. Good enough for me.

If sound juicer is ripping with 1x or 0.5x or similar it's probably because your CD has some nasty copy-protection Sound Juicer can't handle properly.

sha_man
May 27th, 2006, 02:40 PM
generally speaking: fast ripper = BAD audio-quaility (low encoding), A LOT OF ERRORS. So if you like quality, it takes a bit longer. I recommend GRIP for Linux and EAC for Windows (EAC is still the king of the CD-Rippers!).

gingermark
May 27th, 2006, 03:01 PM
generally speaking: fast ripper = BAD audio-quaility (low encoding), A LOT OF ERRORS. So if you like quality, it takes a bit longer. I recommend GRIP for Linux and EAC for Windows (EAC is still the king of the CD-Rippers!).
Ditto. Try ripping with Grip with the paranoia and extra-paranoia settings turned off. It'll blast through the CD. And if the CD is new you might well get an ok rip...

Biltong (Dee)
May 27th, 2006, 03:04 PM
Oh, I totally agree. The faster the rip, the worse the quality.
Mostwanted also has a valid point. I have found out that my Eminem CD's ripped much faster than the Cranberry CD, so I think it has some anti-ripping things added.
I see where they are going, but all I want to do is copy my CDs as they are getting scratched with use.

Edit.
Thanks Gingermark, but now I think about it I'd rather stick with "slow but steady". Fast is great, but not always...

jnev
May 27th, 2006, 06:17 PM

I run EAC in wine and it runs as fast, if not faster, than it does in windows. I highly recomend trying it.

chess.writer
November 4th, 2008, 09:23 PM
When I run EAC in Wine its runs about ten times slower than in Windows (0.5X compared to 5.5X). What can be done?

I run EAC in wine and it runs as fast, if not faster, than it does in windows. I highly recomend trying it.

stinger30au
November 4th, 2008, 10:10 PM
run audio grabber by jackie frank in wine

http://www.audiograbber.com-us.net/

ezsit
November 4th, 2008, 11:49 PM
You could try RipperX, it is in the repos. Also, disable cdparanoia. The quality of the rip will go down, but I've never minded the difference. Also, try CDex, under windows or under wine, its always been very good to me.