PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo Wii is going to use Opera browser

BWF89
May 27th, 2006, 12:29 PM
Oslo, Norway and Los Angeles, Calif., May 10, 2006

Opera Software, a world leader in Web browser technology, today announced that Nintendo's much anticipated new generation game console, Wii, will use the Opera browser.

Users of the Wii console will browse the Internet using their consoles. Navigating via the innovative new Wii Remote controller, users can visit Web sites in between gaming sessions.

"Nintendo is clearly visionary in leading the gaming industry into the new era in gaming, and a wonderful partner for Opera," says Jon von Tetzchner, CEO, Opera Software. "We are thrilled to expand our partnership with Nintendo, and work with them to deliver the best gaming experience on the Wii console and the Nintendo DS™."

"For our Wii console launch in 2006, we required a browser that was fast and secure with support for the latest standards including AJAX. Opera proved perfect for our purposes and is an exceptional addition to both the Nintendo DS and the Wii console," said Genyo Takeda, senior managing director and general manager, Integrated Research & Development Division, Nintendo Co., Ltd.

Opera and Nintendo announced their partnership to deliver the full Opera browser for the Nintendo DS on February 15, 2006. The Nintendo DS browser is scheduled for release in Japan this summer. Nintendo has not yet announced its global launch plans for this product.
http://www.opera.com/pressreleases/en/2006/05/10/

mrgnash
May 27th, 2006, 12:47 PM
That's got to be the first good thing I've heard about the Wii.

Rikostan
May 27th, 2006, 02:19 PM
There are actually a ton of good things about the Wii.. We have all three of the last generation of consoles, but the gamecube was the last one we bought, I think the Wii will be the first out of the next generation.

Looking forward to getting Opera on our DS' too!

onesojourner
May 27th, 2006, 03:19 PM
Im really looking foward to the wii. the price is going to be very nice compared to the ps3. should be a ton of fun to play the wii with some friends, video game people or not alot of people will like the wii.

Iandefor
May 27th, 2006, 05:33 PM
"Nintendo is clearly visionary in leading the gaming industry into the new era in gaming, and a wonderful partner for Opera," :???:

Which Nintendo is he talking about? Not the real one, apparently.

Sye d'Burns
May 27th, 2006, 05:48 PM
:???:

If anything Iandefor, I'm inclined to agree with you. Throughout Nintendo's history technological innovation isn't the first thing that comes to my mind, particularly when it comes to media adoption.

This time around, though, I think that Nintendo might be on to something. Not necessarily in terms of technology but in terms of realism (how many people actually have hdtv currently) and price.

onesojourner
May 27th, 2006, 05:50 PM
i would say its pretty visionary. motion sensitive controller, speaker in it.

FISHERMAN
May 27th, 2006, 05:55 PM
:???:

The Nintendo that makes original and innovative games. Nintendo(unlike their competitors) doesn' t sell games with loads of violence and X-Rated material to make up for the lack of good gameplay.

Iandefor
May 27th, 2006, 06:01 PM
The Nintendo that makes original and innovative games. Nintendo(unlike their competitors) doesn' t sell games with loads of violence and X-Rated material to make up for the lack of good gameplay. There's a difference between producing quality products and being a visionary, industry leader.

This time around, though, I think that Nintendo might be on to something. Not necessarily in terms of technology but in terms of realism (how many people actually have hdtv currently) and price. Nintendo's refusal to provide hdtv output is only showing that they don't mind alienating portions of their market- if I had HDTV, and I had to choose between a gaming system that supported HD output and a system that didn't, I'd probably spring for the one that looks better on my screen- the one that supports HD resolutions.

Stew2
May 27th, 2006, 06:25 PM
Personally, I am anxiously awaiting the Wii's introduction. With all the other manufactureres cranking out big, hot, noisy, high end hardware rigs, it will be nice to have something small, quiet and original. That controller looks like a hoot and I'm sure my 5 year old will love it, young kids like acting out while they play. I say hats off to Nintendo for thier efforts, I just wish they would have left the name as revolution vs Wii :rolleyes:

P.S. This is just my personal opinion and not an attempt to start a consolewar debate or flamewar. If you see this post as such please disregard it. :D

Regards,
Stew2

Somenoob
May 27th, 2006, 06:43 PM
I'm sure that Nintendo will probably be the most successful in the console seventh generation era.

Super King
May 27th, 2006, 07:28 PM
The Nintendo that makes original and innovative games. Nintendo(unlike their competitors) doesn' t sell games with loads of violence and X-Rated material to make up for the lack of good gameplay.

Just because a game has violence and x-rated material doesn't mean it lacks good gameplay. See God of War and GTA, both of which are incredibly fun games.

CronoDekar
May 27th, 2006, 07:58 PM
I was really surprised when I heard that Opera's going to be on the DS and the Wii, but I'm really glad that it will. I've really liked Opera throughout the years, and more exposure to people can only help the company. Not to mention that depending on how successful it is, it might get the few sites which don't render so well in Opera to work right.

There was a statement someone made on another site mentioning that it's interesting that while Nintendo's the company out of the big three that's least focusing on its next-gen Internet capabilities, the Wii is the first one where we have details on the official browser.

TuxTech
May 27th, 2006, 08:22 PM
Also, the predicted price point of the Wii is going to be under 250.00 (american). Another reason to buy it (besides the new metroid of course) :-D

Sye d'Burns
May 27th, 2006, 09:06 PM
There's a difference between producing quality products and being a visionary, industry leader.

Nintendo's refusal to provide hdtv output is only showing that they don't mind alienating portions of their market- if I had HDTV, and I had to choose between a gaming system that supported HD output and a system that didn't, I'd probably spring for the one that looks better on my screen- the one that supports HD resolutions.

Again, I agree with you. Nintendo is alienating those with HDTV. Yet conversely, those who buy the 360 or ps3 without HDTV are buying technology with which they won't be able to use to its full potential.

Only around 7% of US households currently own HDTVs. I know there are other countries but I don't think the adoption rate would be that much higher. I'm not inclined to believe that it will be detrimental. Especially one one considers that HDTVs may become primary TVs but aren't going to soon find their way into kids' rooms unlike countless consoles.

edit: minor clarifications