PDA

View Full Version : Favorite terminal GUI applications

r.darwish
August 21st, 2011, 07:34 AM
What are your favorite terminal GUI applications?
For example: midnight commander for file managment, htop for process managment...

spiky001
August 21st, 2011, 07:45 AM
Not an APP, but I like using Terminator as my Terminal

Wim Sturkenboom
August 21st, 2011, 07:49 AM
Basically ufraw and ufraw-batch (but the latter is no gui app :D) for conversion of RAW photos to jpg. darktable is more powerful, supports my latest camera but is basically overkill for my needs.

PS after a day I see what you mean; the word GUI put me on the wrong foot :oops: I don't use terminal GUI apps; most used apps in terminal are vi, grep, tail and man

Habitual
August 22nd, 2011, 02:45 AM
"for i in..."

oldos2er
August 22nd, 2011, 06:02 PM
aptitude

TeoBigusGeekus
August 22nd, 2011, 06:32 PM
tmux

BeRoot ReBoot
August 22nd, 2011, 06:35 PM
emacs
maxima
octave

Bachstelze
August 22nd, 2011, 06:36 PM
yes

BeRoot ReBoot
August 22nd, 2011, 06:38 PM
Also cowsay.

leviathan8
August 22nd, 2011, 06:47 PM
toilet

cgroza
August 22nd, 2011, 06:57 PM
Apps that I use in terminal, some on Arch some on Ubuntu:

Emacs
Vim
irssi (IRC client)
ranger (File manager)
vifm (File manager)
htop
wget
pacman
apt-get
git
rtorrent

BeRoot ReBoot
August 22nd, 2011, 07:11 PM
This thread is called terminal GUI applications, as in, the ones that have an actual graphical text intefrace (with ncurses or another terminal interface library), not generic terminal CLI applications.

cgroza
August 22nd, 2011, 07:22 PM
This thread is called terminal GUI applications, as in, the ones that have an actual graphical text intefrace (with ncurses or another terminal interface library), not generic terminal CLI applications.
That would be a TUI.

ilovelinux33467
August 22nd, 2011, 08:31 PM
emacs
elinks
mc

doorknob60
August 22nd, 2011, 08:44 PM
Don't really use many that would be "terminal GUI", but yaourt (a wrapper around pacman with AUR support and some other stuff) sorta counts. The way it displays it's ouput is slightly interactive and is colorful, close enough for me. I also use vim a lot, don't know if that counts.

forrestcupp
August 22nd, 2011, 09:45 PM
I don't understand the point of using a GUI made for a terminal when you could just use a GUI. :confused:

BeRoot ReBoot
August 22nd, 2011, 09:52 PM
I don't understand the point of using a GUI made for a terminal when you could just use a GUI. :confused:

It doesn't need X, you can use it over SSH, it doesn't require you to take your hands off the home row (if it's well written), you can use it with a green font while wearing shades and trench coat and pretend you're a matrix hacker.

But seriously, it's mostly a matter of personal preference. I, for example, see no need to load up a graphical application to edit text files, manage files/processes or packages. Graphical applications have their uses, but the windows "everything must be done with a shiny GUI" paradigm just doesn't make sense to me. In fact, web browsing and video viewing are pretty much the only computing tasks that I do regularly that legitimately require a graphical interface.

cgroza
August 22nd, 2011, 11:17 PM
They are more light weight, keyboard driven, faster and you still can filter the output with grep :guitar:.
Plus, you don't have to leave your terminal and you can run it in a separate terminal with screen.

TeoBigusGeekus
August 22nd, 2011, 11:26 PM
Plus, you don't have to leave your terminal and you can run it in a separate terminal with screen.
...or tmux ;)

kk0sse54
August 22nd, 2011, 11:35 PM
It doesn't need X, you can use it over SSH,
You can forward graphical applications through SSH

it doesn't require you to take your hands off the home row (if it's well written),
There are graphical applications that don't require you to either (i.e. vimperator or whatever its called now)

you can use it with a green font while wearing shades and trench coat and pretend you're a matrix hacker.

That's just creepy.

wojox
August 22nd, 2011, 11:36 PM

ncurses != GUI

Don't really use many that would be "terminal GUI", but yaourt (a wrapper around pacman with AUR support and some other stuff) sorta counts.

I prefer packer myself.

BrokenKingpin
August 23rd, 2011, 02:01 AM
VI
aptitude

Lucradia
August 23rd, 2011, 04:07 AM
How many of these use framebuffer? (IE: Actual GUI System.)

krapp
October 16th, 2011, 10:32 PM
Music on console!

Install, open a terminal, and type

mocp

and navigate to your .flac collection!

Far preferable to the ultrabloated iTunes clones. It's basically a filemanager that plays music and makes playlists. It doesn't build a library, but simply uses your filesystem. I don't need last.fm integration or cover art. Very easy to use too, and has convinced me of the merits of terminal emulator programs. I am now on the look out for more, and learning to use Midnight Commander and the like.