PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to save the Session while using Ubuntu on pendrive

saichand
August 21st, 2011, 07:13 AM
Hi,

This is SaiChand.
I haven't installed ubuntu but using it from my Pen drive. The major problem I am facing is I am not able to save my current session. For example I will download and install a couple of software like 'WINE', 'java plugin' and other useful software for me, but when I shutdown everything is lost and I get a new copy of OS on my next start-up :(

Please suggest me how to solve this problem.
I can't install a copy ubuntu on my hard disk as I have only single partition on which windows is running.

spiky001
August 21st, 2011, 07:34 AM
You need to make a persistent usb drive http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/14912/create-a-persistent-bootable-ubuntu-usb-flash-drive/

saichand
August 21st, 2011, 10:08 AM
Hi Spiky,

Thanks for the reply, I have done in the same way, still I am not able to get the things done. I get a new copy of OS every time I switch on my machine.

I am using a 8GB pendrive.

raja.genupula
August 21st, 2011, 10:21 AM
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LiveCD/Persistence

hope this can help you

saichand
August 21st, 2011, 10:45 AM
Hi Raja,

I am not running from CD I am using a pendrive.

My problem is I am able boot the computer from pendrive and use ubuntu I am also able to use the files in other hard drives, install applications but everything resets to new once I re-start my computer. I want to save any programs I installed and keep all the changes i have done earlier.
How can I do it ?

westie457
August 21st, 2011, 11:08 AM
Hi spiky001 actually gave you what you are looking for.

My suggestion to you is boot into Windows and then using the link posted earlier by spiky001 for guidance re-create the LiveUSB pen-drive with a persistence file. They are really simple steps to follow and they work.

My 8GB pen-drive has Maverick Meercat on it with extra settings and programs in a persistence file plus a partition to store other personal files to copy to other computers.