PDA

View Full Version : Would you be glad to see GPARTED and CLONEZILLA merging into a single Live Distro?

honeybear
August 20th, 2011, 07:45 PM
Hello,

Just an idea, and vision about a possible improvement.

Thread well ;)

Frogs Hair
August 21st, 2011, 01:46 AM
I have never used either .

cbowman57
August 21st, 2011, 01:54 AM
While we're creating a wishlist. I'd also like the ability to trim (delete) old clones with clonezilla.

Old_Grey_Wolf
August 21st, 2011, 01:57 AM
I think the two teams/projects should stay focused on what they are good at doing.

cbowman57
August 21st, 2011, 02:01 AM
I think the two teams/projects should stay focused on what they are good at doing.

Good point, they are both putting out quality work. Might be a good project for a 3rd party with skills. (Leaves me out)

Old_Grey_Wolf
August 21st, 2011, 02:15 AM
Good point, they are both putting out quality work. Might be a good project for a 3rd party with skills. (Leaves me out)

Good point, I may be able to write programs; however, nothing that is device dependent like Gparted or Clonezilla.

These are people donating their time to do something they like to do and they put their heart into it. They are not companies that can just go through a merger. It is hard enough for companies to merge and these are small independent teams of developers with their own personal relationships and culture. I would prefer to leave them alone so they can develop the best applications they can. I may not always like what the open source develops come up with; however, they are doing this for free because they enjoy it. I benefit from their enthusiasm and whatever it is that makes them feel satisfied.

honeybear
August 21st, 2011, 06:42 AM
Luckily that we have them too:

- gparted for Ghost alternative
- clonezilla for partition magic alternative

Luckily they develop, however, Linux would have no tools.

Even... windows 7 or xp... users benefits of this too. So windows users also like Linux to resize and play around with their partitions

I think we should donate more often to them.

Gone fishing
August 21st, 2011, 06:01 PM
What you are looking for is parted magic has both and more.

honeybear
August 21st, 2011, 06:22 PM
What you are looking for is parted magic has both and more.

Gparted working for NTFS + Clonezilla working too + an Debian like Kernel to have lot of hardware and ethernet/wifi hardware support ;)