PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] usb vs. local c?

Matrix01
August 20th, 2011, 06:50 PM
what's the advantage and disadvantage of installing ubuntu on usb or local c?
i am on HP Mini which does not have cd drive.

flemur13013
August 20th, 2011, 07:04 PM
USB is safer - you select the boot via BIOS and any original install on a hard-drive is left alone (theoretically!). And much to my surprise, my real-world hard-disk <--> USB disk speed is about 75% (or better) of my hard-disk <--> hard-disk speed. (Disclaimer: I don't have anything installed on the USB disk, it's a backup). Anyway, there are a lot of posts here about problems with dual-boot machines, and that shouldn't happen - you'll have different problems!

"local c" drive? I'm not sure if you mean - Wubi (install on windows' C: drive like other windows programs) or dual-boot (install on a linux partition on the same hard drive as the windows C: drive, but not actually on the C: *partition*).

allwimb
August 20th, 2011, 10:02 PM
It's better if you install it on a different partition :p

spring login (http://www.java-forums.org/blogs/spring-framework/531-login-forms-spring-security.html)

Matrix01
August 20th, 2011, 10:21 PM
here's how my partitions look like from Gparted in unetbootin;

It's better if you install it on a different partition :p

which partition can i install ubuntu?

i am not sure which one win7 starter is installed.
Is Window installed in recovery partition?

dave01945
August 20th, 2011, 10:24 PM
by the looks of it windows is installed on the one with the warning sign and the others don't look big enough to use

appart from the recovery drive but if it's like mine you should be able to make a set of recovery disc's and use the recovery partition for ubuntu

thats what i did

Matrix01
August 28th, 2011, 07:28 PM
did you back up recovery partition for existing os before installing ubuntu?

by the looks of it windows is installed on the one with the warning sign and the others don't look big enough to use

appart from the recovery drive but if it's like mine you should be able to make a set of recovery disc's and use the recovery partition for ubuntu

thats what i did