PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] can i "try out" openbox?

jRdbRR
August 20th, 2011, 12:32 AM
how easy is it to try out openbox and if i don't like it return to what i had before?

i'm on 11.04 unity 2d

Frogs Hair
August 20th, 2011, 12:41 AM
You can read the documentation and decide if it is something you want to try. https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Openbox

b2zeldafreak
August 20th, 2011, 12:42 AM
how easy is it to try out openbox and if i don't like it return to what i had before?

i'm on 11.04 unity 2d

Well I tried Openbox once.

I think the terminal command is
"sudo apt-get install openbox"

Then it should show up in your session options before you log in.
It starts out with no menu bars, but don't panic. If you can see your cursor just right-click and you will see some options.

Thats as far as I got with it, I didn't go into customizing it at all.

IWantFroyo
August 20th, 2011, 12:51 AM
The above posters covered mostly everything. I just want to add:

Openbox is a window manager. It doesn't come with a panel. You will have to install one, if you want one. I recommend tint2.

jRdbRR
August 20th, 2011, 07:00 AM
ok cool i was hoping that it was an option when you log in! i've read that ubuntu page about it and it intrigued me, my poor laptop is aging, and would like to make it snappier. and the pictures of crunchbang also made me think about it...
thanks guys

jRdbRR
August 20th, 2011, 07:06 AM
mainly i wanted to be sure it wasnt like gnome 3 which pretty much bricked my ubuntu...

3Miro
August 20th, 2011, 03:29 PM
Ubuntu 11.04 comes with Gnome 2. When you install Gnome 3, you have to remove Gnome 2 and sometimes the settings don't get properly transferred.

On the other hand OpenBox, XFCE, KDE and so on, don't conflict with Gnome 2 and you will be able to use both Gnome 2 (with or without Unity 2D/3D) and any of the above with just logout/login.

For an old laptop, consider LXDE, which is OpenBox + their own panel and very light file manager.

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/index.php