PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] No longer able to resize windows or use wireless internet after an update...

thisissami
August 19th, 2011, 05:38 PM
Hi All,

I just updated my ubuntu machine using the standard Update Manager that pops up from time to time, and I can no longer resize any of my windows. My wireless internet also no longer works.

I've installed ubuntu on an HP Pavilion dm1, which I know has issues with ubuntu. The wireless internet did not work from the get-go, and I had to manually add a driver to my computer (using another thread from these forums) in order to get that to work. Post update, however, I can no longer use said driver (it doesn't appear in "Additonal Drivers" anymore), and I also can't resize my windows.

I'm assuming that I can just reinstall the wireless driver, so that shouldn't be too much of an issue, but I have no clue how to fix the windows issue. Is there any way to roll back to a pre-update stage? That would probably be the easiest way for me to fix this, if it were possible...

Best, and thanks in advance for any replies,
Sami

thisissami
August 19th, 2011, 06:19 PM
Just to be completely clear - I had a working installation of 11.04 already. This wasn't an upgrade from a previous distro to 11.04. If I didn't post this in the right place, would anybody be willing to tell me where I should have asked my question?

thisissami
August 19th, 2011, 06:21 PM
ok really weird thing just happened - my screen flashed and everything on my desktop vanished (i.e. i could just see the background), and then after a couple seconds (when I clicked somewhere), they came back, and now I can resize again... does anybody have any idea what might have caused all this weirdness?

also wireless still doesn't work... I don't want to not update my system whenever updates are released, but I don't want to need to reinstall my driver each time I do. Does anybody have any suggestions on that front?

steve11911
August 22nd, 2011, 05:48 AM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1776882

thisissami
August 22nd, 2011, 10:25 PM
those are fixes that my computer already had. the wireless stopped working post update through the update manager with ubuntu. i shouldn't need to go through those steps again each time i update my system through said update manager.

the video problem has been fixed, but my wireless still doesn't work. i'll try running through those steps again just in case that fixes the issue...

sami

thisissami
August 22nd, 2011, 10:47 PM
so going through the steps again does fix the issue. however, i would like to update my computer in the future without having to repeat these steps each time to get the wireless to work again. does anybody have any idea what might have caused the mishaps that i had?