PDA

View Full Version : Advanced Programming in the UNIX.. vs The Linux Programming Interface: A Lin..

Pithikos
August 19th, 2011, 04:56 PM
I am taking some OS course(C programming and Unix) this autumn and the book used is: Advanced Programming in the UNIX® Environment (2nd Edition).

After reading loads of comments on this(mostly embracing it) I came cross this book which is newer: The Linux Programming Interface: A Linux and UNIX System Programming Handbook

So I was thinking that for the same price I could get the second one which also is more Linux oriented. What do you think? Anyone who read it?

cguy
August 19th, 2011, 09:58 PM
I have read parts from both.
Go for the second one. It's as up-to-date as it can be, and very well written.

memilanuk
August 20th, 2011, 01:52 AM
I haven't taken any formal programming classes, so they might run differently than the regular college level classes that I *have* taken...

...but if the instructor assigns reading and gives quizzes based on said reading material, you may well be hosed if you don't have the designated course book. Etc. etc. etc. The second book may be 'better', and may be worth getting on that merit alone, but I think you might be wise to hedge your bets and get the book listed in the curriculum first...