PDA

View Full Version : How do you secure your bicycle(if you have one)?

PCaddicted
August 19th, 2011, 12:12 PM
I'm currently using 2 key cable locks without steel jacket, but I'll have to get myself something better, such as a U-lock and/or a scooter chain lock or a steel-jacketed chain, which are said to be more secure. I typically lock the front wheel to the frame to an immovable object, or lock a wheel to an immovable object and use the other lock to secure that wheel to the frame.
Yet all bike locks are vulnerable if the thief has a power tool.:-( An angle grinder can cut any type of bicycle lock.

(https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Bike_Lock)

NovaAesa
August 19th, 2011, 12:17 PM
I don't have a bike, but a few of my friends who have them say that as long as a bike next to yours has a weaker chain/lock, yours will be safe.

neu5eeCh
August 19th, 2011, 12:17 PM
I once had a decent 10-speed. In the middle of the night, even though it was locked up, someone beat the wheels into pretzels and bent the fork. I straightened the wheels by hand and the fork. I spray painted the bike a hideous purple (and I do mean everything) and rode the bike for another five years. It was never touched again. I could leave it unlocked or minimally locked. The best way to secure your bike, if you can bring yourself to do it, is to ruin it with a perfectly hideous paint job. Make it look like a third hand piece of trash.

samstreet101
August 19th, 2011, 12:46 PM
The best one I have used is a rolling joint lock. It's made from segments of big thick steel joined togeter by joints but all the segments are able to freely rotates which means trying to saw through them is incredibly difficult as the saw will simply slip off when they rotate. I dare say a chainsaw could probably get through it but it would take them longer and I can't see many thieves in city centres using a chainsaw...awful lot of attention you'll draw to yourself. Other than that I agree with the other 2 points..If you can, get a bike which doesn't look too special and definitely where you can, park up next to a bike which either looks better than yours does or has a weaker lock. Hope this helps

Erik1984
August 19th, 2011, 01:02 PM
Just with a simple lock that blocks the rear wheel. And I try to 'park' it in safe places with some surveillance if possible. Also it may help to just buy a cheap, unattractive old n-th hand bike (wIth n >= 2) so it will not catch the attention of thieves.

HappinessNow
August 19th, 2011, 01:32 PM
I'm currently using 2 key cable locks without steel jacket, but I'll have to get myself something better, such as a U-lock and/or a scooter chain lock or a steel-jacketed chain, which are said to be more secure. I typically lock the front wheel to the frame to an immovable object, or lock a wheel to an immovable object and use the other lock to secure that wheel to the frame.
Yet all bike locks are vulnerable if the thief has a power tool.:-( An angle grinder or a chainsaw can cut any type of bicycle lock.

(https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Bike_Lock)

I use a U-lock in combination with a cable, the U-lock
key always gets jammed I would like to find a better lock solution.

whatthefunk
August 19th, 2011, 01:48 PM
My bike is crap. It has a basket. I love it. I lock it with a two dollar cable lock that could probably be busted open with a frozen carrot.

Aquix
August 19th, 2011, 01:48 PM
I use a thick chainlock I got cheap because if someone wants the bike there is no stopping them. Best defense is to have a bike that looks dirty and worthless.

It's funny to see people that have thick expensive chainlocks that only go through the front wheel :P

KUU
August 19th, 2011, 01:55 PM
My bike is crap. It has a basket. I love it. I lock it with a two dollar cable lock that could probably be busted open with a frozen carrot.

I can picture it now

http://is02.thegumtree.com/image/big/76081154.jpg

collisionystm
August 19th, 2011, 02:02 PM
A Collapsible bike wheel lol

http://inventorspot.com/articles/antitheft_collapsible_bike_wheel_34675

3rdalbum
August 19th, 2011, 02:42 PM
I have a big long twisted-cable chain with a rubbery-plastic coating on the outside. It's so long I can put it through the front wheel and the frame and the toast-rack/U rail at the same time. The bike hasn't been stolen yet, and it doesn't have a hideous paint job or a basket :-)

I used to have two chains - the other one was small enough to fit through the vents in my helmet, so I could leave the helmet on the bike too and the chain would also be just long enough to go around the U rail and rear wheel too. Would have taken a bit more work to free my bike as there would be two chains to get through.

Both chains have combinations locks; one is integrated, the other is a big chunky piece of work. I expect people have fiddled with the combination locks, I caught one bloke at it, but nobody has worked out both the codes.

Erik1984
August 19th, 2011, 03:15 PM
I use a thick chainlock I got cheap because if someone wants the bike there is no stopping them. Best defense is to have a bike that looks dirty and worthless.

It's funny to see people that have thick expensive chainlocks that only go through the front wheel :P

or people securing their bikes like this:

http://img230.echo.cx/img230/8310/lock5mw.jpg

simpleblue
August 19th, 2011, 03:34 PM
The best thing a person can do is to lock the bike in an area with as many people as possible. Also, if you're going into a mall then have your bike close to the entrance. This deters thieves because they know that you could come through the door at any moment.

If you're going to trail or some place that the thieves would know that you're going to be a long time then this is not a good situation. They have a lot of time to cut through that lock and get away.

Some of these people don't even care if they get arrested because they may not have a home or they are coke addicts, so they'll take out the cutters and take the bike even if there are other people around.

Yesterday I saw my stolen bike locked up. The thieves had took it and hadn't even painted it over. They are using it as is. The bike just looks very worn compared to before, and they smashed the pipe supporting the handlebars, maybe so I wouldn't notice?

Anyways, I was thinking of standing around and waiting for them, or calling the police, but I know the police won't come, and I know that they wouldn't do anything. I was also thinking of popping the tires, cause it's my bike, right? I can pop the tires if I want. :P But try telling a police officer that. * sigh * :(

dave01945
August 19th, 2011, 03:47 PM
Euroman picture really made me laugh

Inodoro Pereyra
August 19th, 2011, 03:56 PM
I've had several bikes over the last few years, and had 2 of them stolen from me, one at Wal Mart, and the other one, in my first day at work, at Advance Auto Parts.
After that, I learned several things on how to secure them:

1. Use a U-lock. Use 2 if you can. Flexible locks (whether they are chain, wire, rolling joints, whatever) are too easy to cut. My best bike was locked with a 1/2" custom made steel wire, and, when I got off work, I found the wire cut in half, and the bike gone. :(

2. Always, ALWAYS lock the rear wheel through the frame.

3. Make sure you put your bike under a camera view. When I got my first bike stolen at Wal Mart, upon watching the security cameras, we found out the rack where I left it was the only unsecured spot in the parking lot. If I had left the bike in the other rack, 10 feet away from that one, I would've had it covered.

4. Never leave it unattended for too long. If you don't have a secure place at work (as a place "inside the building") to leave your bike, walk, or take the bus.

5. If at all possible, when leaving the bike outside, take the seat with you.

sanderd17
August 19th, 2011, 04:00 PM
I use a 30 year old number lock, it's about 20cm long and has 1000 combinations (so 3 rotors or whatever you call it in English). It can be cracked in less than 3 minutes if you have feeling for it.

But my bike is so old and rusty that the parts with the biggest values are the tires.

drawkcab
August 19th, 2011, 04:21 PM
I'm lucky in that I bring my bike up to the office and throw it against the wall. No one has said anything in 4 years.

What others have said is correct: if your bicycle looks like crap, they're likely to not bother. On the other hand, it's hard to fool someone who has a good eye for parts that can be resold.

KUU
August 19th, 2011, 05:15 PM
I'm lucky in that I bring my bike up to the office and throw it against the wall. No one has said anything in 4 years.

Better than any lock.
-

My bike is 10 years old and naff, only 1 gear works out of 27 and the bottom bracket is loose and unrepairable but yet it gets me from a to b where I can secure it with a numlock, I have spent all my life on bikes so to go out and buy a high-end cycle knowing it has to be chained in public would be stupid.

Aquix
August 19th, 2011, 05:27 PM
or people securing their bikes like this:

http://img230.echo.cx/img230/8310/lock5mw.jpg

Thats is funny :)
And I was starting to get back my faith in humanity..

whiskeylover
August 19th, 2011, 07:02 PM
Thats is funny :)
And I was starting to get back my faith in humanity..

Most of the humanity is stupid. So you can still keep your faith.

Dry Lips
August 19th, 2011, 07:30 PM
I once had a decent 10-speed. In the middle of the night, even though it was locked up, someone beat the wheels into pretzels and bent the fork. I straightened the wheels by hand and the fork. I spray painted the bike a hideous purple (and I do mean everything) and rode the bike for another five years. It was never touched again. I could leave it unlocked or minimally locked. The best way to secure your bike, if you can bring yourself to do it, is to ruin it with a perfectly hideous paint job. Make it look like a third hand piece of trash.

Lol! That's an excellent idea. :KS Image is everything!

PCaddicted
August 19th, 2011, 08:57 PM
Just bought my first U-lock :-)
The best way to use a such a lock:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/3a/Antivolv%C3%A9lo6.jpg
On the other hand, if I use the method shown in the picture I've linked to, I can't pass the U-lock through the front wheel( as per the shape of the frame), but I can use the rear wheel instead.
And here's a pic showing poor use of lock:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c2/StolenBike-FrontWheel.jpg
Locking the front wheel to the rack was clearly insufficient, because the wheels are detachable.
I'll also go on using my 1,5 meter long cable. If a thief is forced to circumvent two or more locks, he'll sure look for a bike that is secured less heavily ;-).
I've found more useful tips on bicycle security:
http://itbhawaii.com/articles/cycling-tips-tp98/lock-your-bike-to-keep-it-safe-inside-and-out-62.htm

cgroza
August 19th, 2011, 09:28 PM
And here's a pic showing poor use of lock:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c2/StolenBike-FrontWheel.jpg
Locking the front wheel to the rack was clearly insufficient, because the wheels are detachable.
I'll also go on using my 1,5 meter long cable. If a thief is forced to circumvent two or more locks, he'll sure look for a bike that is secured less heavily ;-).
I've found more useful tips on bicycle security:
http://itbhawaii.com/articles/cycling-tips-tp98/lock-your-bike-to-keep-it-safe-inside-and-out-62.htm
Imagine waking up in the morning and all it's left of your bike is the front wheel. That made me lol. Anyway, a nice gesture from the part of the thief to leave a souvenir.:)

Frogs Hair
August 19th, 2011, 09:56 PM
I use a Kryptonite steal mesh covered cable lock because I don't enjoy removing my front rim . I only leave my bikes in areas with good heavy bike rack or railing with lots of foot traffic .

rg4w
August 19th, 2011, 11:02 PM
I have a three-part security system for my bike:

1. Good u-lock for the rear wheel + frame
2. Chain lock for front wheel
3. My bike is cheap and old, so it's of little value to anyone but me

jerenept
August 19th, 2011, 11:42 PM
My parrot attacked the handlebars and brake cables, the bike squeaks, the front wheel wobbles and it's caked in dirt.

Never had any issue with theft.