PDA

View Full Version : [wubi] Update Manager Error: Not enough free disk space

dancingLoki
August 19th, 2011, 05:56 AM
I am a beginner to Ubuntu & Linux. Some months back I installed ubuntu on a somewhat aged & slowed down acer laptop running win XP. Finally I tried running ubuntu a couple days ago & it's been pretty smooth, until this from update manager:
---------------------------------------------------------------
Not enough free disk space

The upgrade needs a total of 615M free space on disk '/'. Please free at least an additional 296M of disk space on '/'. Empty your trash and remove temporary packages of former installations using 'sudo apt-get clean'.
I guess I don't have to install these "important security updates", but it's probably best I do & learn how to use the file browser, terminal (Applications - Accessories - really, it's a little hidden), other important parts of ubuntu.

For downloading I have an external drive connected with 760 GB free - more than enough space for anything. I can also move files to this disk - do I maybe need to reboot into win xp to move files? I have no idea how to know which ubuntu files to remove for space - proc folder seems to have enough room, but should I just move it to the external drive? I can't seem to access the rest of the hard Drive where I could simply move a 4GB movie.

fdrake
August 19th, 2011, 06:07 AM
I am a beginner to Ubuntu & Linux. Some months back I installed ubuntu on a somewhat aged & slowed down acer laptop running win XP. Finally I tried running ubuntu a couple days ago & it's been pretty smooth, until this from update manager:

The upgrade needs a total of 615M free space on disk '/'. Please free at least an additional 296M of disk space on '/'. Empty your trash and remove temporary packages of former installations using 'sudo apt-get clean'.
I guess I don't have to install these "important security updates", but it's probably best I do & learn how to use the file browser, terminal (Applications - Accessories - really, it's a little hidden), other important parts of ubuntu.

For downloading I have an external drive connected with 760 GB free - more than enough space for anything. I can also move files to this disk - do I maybe need to reboot into win xp to move files? I have no idea how to know which ubuntu files to remove for space - proc folder seems to have enough room, but should I just move it to the external drive? I can't seem to access the rest of the hard Drive where I could simply move a 4GB movie.

gksudo nautilus
now you can freely move data around. Suggestion format the 760 gb drive to ntfs or fat32 so you can use those files on both win and linux.

Hakunka-Matata
August 19th, 2011, 06:33 AM

gksu nautilus
is dangerous if you're not sure which files to move around. The command gksu gives you root privileges / super user privileges and that lets you change low level aspects of the system. I would not use it if you don't know exactly what to move where yet.

Hakunka-Matata
August 19th, 2011, 06:41 AM

I would suggest doing as advised by the system: sudo apt-get clean, and so forth.

Open a Terminal (Applications > Accessories > Terminal.) You can 'drag' the Terminal selection out and stick a copy in your uppermost bar, because you'll use Terminal a lot in future. Left Click on the Terminal program (or any other program/app), hold down the left button and drag the app to the uppermost bar, then release.

Once in Terminal, type in (or copy) the command
sudo apt-get clean, you will then need to enter your password, you'll get no indication while you're typing it, then hit enter.

sudo makes you super user - root, temporarily, only.

dancingLoki
August 19th, 2011, 06:42 AM
Thank you for the quick replies & that's my thoughts too - not to move or delete when I don't know what I'm doing.

XP has been particularly screwed up lately - this is why I'm trying ubuntu - but I managed to free up about 4 GB. Unfortunately this didn't translate into more space for ubuntu - in Disk Utility I notice 2 volumes - 5.2 GB FAT & 155 GB NTFS. Is this called a partition? Is Ubuntu in the 5.2 GB FAT area? What's it mean to mount a volume?

most important - what do I do now? I can probably go back to windows & even free up another 20 GB, but will it make a difference?

Elfy
August 19th, 2011, 06:50 AM
Please open a terminal and run this command, then paste the results here.

sudo fdisk -l &&df -h

That's a lowercase L not a 1

Hakunka-Matata
August 19th, 2011, 06:50 AM
no, don't go back to windows, it won't help. Windows can't make changes on you linux partitions. If we can get a look at your disk partition setup that's the first place to investigate, see what you have where, how big partitions are etc. SO:
You probably don't have GParted installed yet, as it's not installed by default. So first do that,

sudo apt-get install gparted

Elfy
August 19th, 2011, 06:53 AM
Can't see any reason why gparted is needed - even if partitions need resizing they'll need to do so from a livecd.

fdrake
August 19th, 2011, 07:00 AM
Can't see any reason why gparted is needed - even if partitions need resizing they'll need to do so from a livecd.

well he can start resizing the win partition while he downloads/burns a live-cd

Elfy
August 19th, 2011, 07:04 AM
I suppose so ...

But I'd do all of that from a livecd, not half in a running system and then the rest later. It also appears that the reason to get it installed is to find out "your disk partition setup"

In addition to which the thread's about gaining space :)

Hakunka-Matata
August 19th, 2011, 07:21 AM
I suppose so ...

But I'd do all of that from a livecd, not half in a running system and then the rest later. It also appears that the reason to get it installed is to find out "your disk partition setup"

In addition to which the thread's about gaining space :)

That is exactly why I suggested installing gparted now, the OP states in post # 1 "I am a beginner to Ubuntu & Linux". I thought he might like to find out how to use a Terminal for instance first, and then maybe start an App like gparted, and see for the first time what a partition layout is for instance. Before going ahead and making changes,

Elfy
August 19th, 2011, 07:37 AM
That is exactly why I suggested installing gparted now, the OP states in post # 1 "I am a beginner to Ubuntu & Linux". I thought he might like to find out how to use a Terminal for instance first, and then maybe start an App like gparted, and see for the first time what a partition layout is for instance. Before going ahead and making changes,

I can understand that - I'd have done that with a screenshot :)

As it is I'm waiting for the fdisk output - I've got a wubi feeling in my bones, which will make the thread somewhat different :)

fdrake
August 19th, 2011, 07:44 AM

As it is I'm waiting for the fdisk output - I've got a wubi feeling in my bones, which will make the thread somewhat different :)

:p:p:p that would be funny. such a waste of time ....

Hakunka-Matata
August 19th, 2011, 07:50 AM

Touché forestpiskie, very good point, I missed that possibility, hope it's not a probability. I don't even participate in wubi discussions, they don't interest me. Ok, i'm a snob, sorry.

dancingLoki
August 19th, 2011, 08:21 AM
I would suggest doing as advised by the system: sudo apt-get clean, and so forth.

Open a Terminal (Applications > Accessories > Terminal.) You can 'drag' the Terminal selection out and stick a copy in your uppermost bar, because you'll use Terminal a lot in future. Left Click on the Terminal program (or any other program/app), hold down the left button and drag the app to the uppermost bar, then release.

Once in Terminal, type in (or copy) the command
sudo apt-get clean, you will then need to enter your password, you'll get no indication while you're typing it, then hit enter.

sudo makes you super user - root, temporarily, only.

I put the terminal in the bar, and ran sudo apt-get clean, but it didn't clear off space, or not enough anyway.

dancingLoki
August 19th, 2011, 08:24 AM
[QUOTE=forestpiskie;11166177]Please open a terminal and run this command, then paste the results here.

sudo fdisk -l &&df -h

results:

Disk /dev/sda: 160.0 GB, 160041885696 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 19457 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x11a8ba38

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 1 637 5116671 12 Compaq diagnostics
/dev/sda2 * 638 19457 151171650 7 HPFS/NTFS

Disk /dev/mmcblk0: 3965 MB, 3965190144 bytes
49 heads, 48 sectors/track, 3292 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 2352 * 512 = 1204224 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x00000000

/dev/mmcblk0p1 4 3293 3868160 b W95 FAT32

Disk /dev/mmcblk1: 3965 MB, 3965190144 bytes
49 heads, 48 sectors/track, 3292 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 2352 * 512 = 1204224 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x00000000

/dev/mmcblk1p1 4 3293 3868160 b W95 FAT32

Disk /dev/sdb: 1000.2 GB, 1000204884992 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 121601 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Disk identifier: 0xf5154add

/dev/sdb1 1 121601 976760001 7 HPFS/NTFS
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/loop0 2.7G 2.3G 279M 90% /
none 491M 348K 491M 1% /dev
none 496M 400K 495M 1% /dev/shm
none 496M 92K 495M 1% /var/run
none 496M 0 496M 0% /var/lock
none 496M 0 496M 0% /lib/init/rw
/dev/sda2 145G 140G 5.2G 97% /host
/dev/mmcblk0p1 3.7G 3.7G 19M 100% /media/D8E5-F91A
/dev/mmcblk1p1 3.7G 1.6G 2.2G 43% /media/6361-3162
/dev/sdb1 932G 166G 766G 18% /media/FreeAgent Drive

dancingLoki
August 19th, 2011, 08:31 AM
no, don't go back to windows, it won't help. Windows can't make changes on you linux partitions. If we can get a look at your disk partition setup that's the first place to investigate, see what you have where, how big partitions are etc. SO:
You probably don't have GParted installed yet, as it's not installed by default. So first do that,

sudo apt-get install gparted

I installed gparted as written here. don't know what to do with it.

Elfy
August 19th, 2011, 08:39 AM
Hi - you are running wubi it appears. There are no linux file systems on any of your drives. This is a different kettle of fish indeed.

This thread should help you to resize the wubi file. As it stands the file is 2.7Gb - this is very small. If that was all the space you had available then you might need to think about that a bit more.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1625371

dancingLoki
August 19th, 2011, 05:10 PM
Hi - you are running wubi it appears. There are no linux file systems on any of your drives. This is a different kettle of fish indeed.

This thread should help you to resize the wubi file. As it stands the file is 2.7Gb - this is very small. If that was all the space you had available then you might need to think about that a bit more.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1625371
wubi - windows installer - makes sense. Are there drawbacks to running linux this way? I basically have nothing saved in Linux right now, very little customization... is it better for performance that I do a different install?

Elfy
August 19th, 2011, 05:22 PM
It's only designed to be a way to look at ubuntu - there might be performance issues but as I only looked at it once I'm not the person to ask ;)

There are people who look for wubi prefixes - I'd wait for someone more able to answer you :)

bcbc
August 20th, 2011, 01:18 AM
I wouldn't resize the virtual disk... you only have 5 GB free on the /host ntfs partition. If you try and use that you'll likely grind windows to a standstill.

Elfy
August 20th, 2011, 01:23 AM
thanks bcbc - I can unsubscribe now ... :)