PDA

View Full Version : [wubi] Already dual boot. Try new Ubuntu via wubi?

fedira
August 19th, 2011, 04:01 AM
So, on an old (but not so old) Thinkpad, I have a dual boot with Windows XP and Ubuntu 7.something, Feisty Fawn. (Memories!)

Here's my question: I'm interested in try out the newest version of Ubuntu without backing up and wiping my old system. Can I just install it using wubi?

My question is also; What will happen when I boot after I do this? The boot I have now uses grub, but I know that wubi defaults to the Windows booter, whatever that is. (Excuse my lack of knowledge.) So what will happen if I install via Wubi? Will it override grub and I'll no longer be able to access my old Ubuntu partition?

Or is this just a really bad idea?

Thank you!

critin
August 19th, 2011, 04:17 AM
VM ware is easy and safe to use for checking out different distros. I have it on Windows.

critin

fedira
August 19th, 2011, 05:05 AM
Thanks!

Can anyone provide info on wubi specifically though, and what would happen when I reboot my computer after install?

critin
August 19th, 2011, 05:34 AM
Wubi is a great installer and it works if everything goes right. I used it for years without a problem until I uninstalled it. Lost the bootloader to windows. lol
I installed it again today on another's comp and it didn't boot, though Windows still did. I don't know why and haven't looked into it yet.
When it works, it works great. When it doesn't, you need to have some idea of how to fix it. VM ware doesn't mess with grub. I have a linux machine for ubuntus to learn on and windows machine for windows, (with vmware)
Sorry I couldn't help.

Actually, since you already duel boot, you could install the distro directly and triple boot. It would probably work better since Wubi is meant to be a 'try-me'.

critin