PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Best Android phone for Ubuntu tethering?

pi.boy.travis
August 18th, 2011, 09:51 PM
Hi! I'm in the market for a new phone. I'd like to go with Android, and I'd like to get one that I know I can tether with Ubuntu. Anyone have any recommendations? Preferably I would be able to tether it without rooting the phone, but if that's out of the question I'm sure I can manage. I'd just like to get one that I know I'm going to be able to tether with. Any any all recommendations will be appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

gandaran
August 18th, 2011, 10:05 PM
Hi! I'm in the market for a new phone. I'd like to go with Android, and I'd like to get one that I know I can tether with Ubuntu. Anyone have any recommendations? Preferably I would be able to tether it without rooting the phone, but if that's out of the question I'm sure I can manage. I'd just like to get one that I know I'm going to be able to tether with. Any any all recommendations will be appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
most phones probably will work with the default android tether option but I didn't have any success with my samsung galaxy ace, network manager did connect to the phone but internet did not work so I installed the easy tether app and finally internet did work.
other samsung galaxy models are known to work well without the need to install any tether app.

haqking
August 18th, 2011, 10:10 PM
I use a google nexus one and works fine for USB tethering and as a WIFI hotspot.

I am running Gingerbread but worked fine before i upgraded to GB.

I dont use it often but works fine when i do.

pi.boy.travis
August 18th, 2011, 11:18 PM
Awesome, thanks. I'll have to check out the Samsung Galaxy, never tried that one before. I stopped to drool in the presence of the Nexus S at a Best Buy once, I would only need to force myself to pony up the cash for it. I know it'd be well worth the price. . . Must...Hand...Debit...Card...To...Cashier...

akand074
August 18th, 2011, 11:26 PM
Awesome, thanks. I'll have to check out the Samsung Galaxy, never tried that one before. I stopped to drool in the presence of the Nexus S at a Best Buy once, I would only need to force myself to pony up the cash for it. I know it'd be well worth the price. . . Must...Hand...Debit...Card...To...Cashier...

Yeah all of them should work. Get the Samsung Galaxy S II (http://www.samsung.com/global/microsite/galaxys2/html/)though. It's the best Android phone on the market right now. My sister just got one I'm incredibly jealous.

Spiritof76
August 19th, 2011, 02:05 AM
I have the T-mobile Mytouch 4G and I have used the the usb tethering on occassion, and I haven't seen any extra charges. Just plug it in and it works.. Ubuntu 10.4 just know how to deal with it.

jramshu
August 19th, 2011, 02:12 AM
Works on my EVO, though the hotspot doesn't work unless rooted, but tethering works fine.

waynefoutz
August 19th, 2011, 03:45 AM
If it doesn't work, there is a $10 app out there called easytether. 100% compatible with Ubuntu.

3rdalbum
August 19th, 2011, 05:55 AM
If it has come directly from the manufacturer (not directly from the carrier) and runs Android 2.2, it should be able to do wifi tethering without any additional software. Obviously you'd want to double-check for that particular phone, but it's a feature in Android 2.2 and above.

pi.boy.travis
August 19th, 2011, 04:04 PM
Sweet deal. I usually buy my phones unlocked and get a new stand alone AT&T SIM card. I have grandfathered unlimited data (I started out with Cingular in 2003) and if you use the wap.cingular 'MEdiaNet' AP, tethering won't show up on your bill. . . *sshhhhh*