PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Virturalize XP for non-linux functionality?

Rick 250
August 18th, 2011, 08:16 PM
I've been a long time user of Ubuntu for my netbook, and I'm finally considering upgrading from Windows 7 to Ubuntu 11.10 when it comes out for my desktop. Unfortantly I can't drop Windows entirely due to Netflix (although hopefully that changes soon thanks to Chrome OS) and Blu-Ray playback. Just about any other windows applications will work on Wine that I need (like Autodesk applications). So I'm just considering virtualizing windows XP in Virtual PC/QEMU/VMware Player, I haven't decided which to go with so any suggestions on which would be the best would be great. Also the main reason I never put Ubuntu on my previous desktop is that I couldn't get native 16:9 ratio (including 1080p) to work with my graphics card (Radeon HD 5750), so I'm wondering what's the compatibility with the new Intel HD 2000 and/or Radeon HD 6570 as far as drivers and things like sound over HDMI go. I hated the stupid AMD watermark that came with trying to install the drivers for my old Radeon HD 5750 (and even then the drivers caused more problems than they solved), does the watermark still show up?

Oh, also how does Steam and their games work with Ubuntu?

LowSky
August 20th, 2011, 08:35 AM
You seem to really need Windows for your daily tasks. May I suggest sticking with Windows 7.

I'm not one of those Linux Die-hards. Use what works best for you. It seems using Ubuntu would cause more headaches then its worth.

PhantmKllr
August 20th, 2011, 08:45 AM
Actually, you may get better performance out of VirtualBox. Most newer AMD processors support the necessary virtualization functions.

http://www.virtualbox.org/

VirtualBox just added support for Windows Aero as well, and may be fast enough to run some pretty intensive games. OpenGL support is excellent.

mp035
August 20th, 2011, 10:53 AM
I have to agree with LowSky. And I think you will find running Autodesk under wine to be quite unstable.

BTW. I AM one of those Linux Die-Hards, there is not a single Windows Partition on any of my machines, but it still looks to me like you would be better staying with windows. (uuggh! I can't beleive I wrote that!)

If you are really keen on switching, start with dual-boot so that you can return to your windows 'safety-blanket' should things not go to plan.

3rdalbum
August 20th, 2011, 12:31 PM
Blu-ray playback isn't really possible inside a virtual machine, to my understanding.

You might be able to just decrypt and rip the Blurays using DumpHD on Ubuntu; I still have success doing this. Once ripped, the video files can be played on Ubuntu.

Rick 250
August 24th, 2011, 03:46 PM
Well thanks for the replies, I guess I'll just stick with Windows 7, I've been playing around with Ubuntu on VMWare Player most of the time on my desktop anyways.