PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Update Failed

wagb278
August 18th, 2011, 08:01 PM
Running Ubuntu 10.04 LTS, 32-bit.

Update fails. Synaptic Package manager indicates one broken package identified as "linux-headers-generic" version: 2.6.32.33.39.

The error details are:

E: /var/cache/apt/archives/linux-headers-2.6.32-33_2.6.32-33.72_all.deb: unable to create `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.32-33/arch/score/include/asm/unaligned.h.dpkg-new' (while processing `./usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.32-33/arch/score/include/asm/unaligned.h')
E: /var/cache/apt/archives/linux-headers-2.6.32-33-generic_2.6.32-33.72_i386.deb: error creating symbolic link `./usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.32-33-generic/include/linux/atm_nicstar.h'

The download completes OK. The error(s) appear during the install phase.

Only possibility I can think of is Linux is installed on a small physical HD (6.01 Gig). Gparted says there is 1.06 G avail. Could I be running out of space to complete the update? I have another HD in this machine.

PROBLEM SOLVED - cleaned off files to make space for Update to complete.

Thanks,
Jim

wagb278
August 19th, 2011, 11:02 PM
UPDATE

I found that a significant number of files were stored in directory: /root/.local/share/Trash After removing those files the Update completed successfully. So it was a disk space issue. The files were all linux-header version files. I cleared out 600 meg of space removing those files.

Does anyone know why those files were there? Shouldn't they be removed after updates complete?

Should I be doing something different or change some configuration setting associated with updates?

Hakunka-Matata
August 19th, 2011, 11:27 PM
these are all good commands for cleaning up, making room. do a "man apt-get autoremove" to see all the options.

the two directories "/var/cache/apt/archives/ and /var/cache/apt/archives/partial/" are also interesting to look at, and understand.

sudo apt-get autoremove
sudo apt-get clean
sudo apt-get autoclean

clean
clean clears out the local repository of retrieved package files.
It removes everything but the lock file from
/var/cache/apt/archives/ and /var/cache/apt/archives/partial/. When
APT is used as a dselect(1) method, clean is run automatically.
Those who do not use dselect will likely want to run apt-get clean
from time to time to free up disk space.

autoclean
Like clean, autoclean clears out the local repository of retrieved
package files. The difference is that it only removes package files
that can no longer be downloaded, and are largely useless. This
allows a cache to be maintained over a long period without it
growing out of control. The configuration option
APT::Clean-Installed will prevent installed packages from being
erased if it is set to off.

autoremove
autoremove is used to remove packages that were automatically
installed to satisfy dependencies for some package and that are no
more needed.