PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu's Growth and Promotion

8jwong14
August 18th, 2011, 05:15 PM
Just my opinion.

Canonical can sell Ubuntu CDs on other websites like Newegg.com and stores like Staples, Best Buy, Walmart, etc with some sort of big promotion thing for Ubuntu otherwise Ubuntu would just go unknown.

Canonical should continue efforts to preinstall Ubuntu on more computers. Warn people that they cannot run Windows stuff without Wine. I've heard stories of people buying computers with Ubuntu preinstalled only to find out it doesn't run Windows stuff then return the computer. Preinstalling WINE would help a lot.

Canonical should have a promotional campaign to promote Ubuntu to the masses.

Ubuntu should ensure stronger compatibility with hardware as Windows.

donkyhotay
August 18th, 2011, 05:34 PM
Selling to the masses won't work, the masses don't care what OS is on their system they just care that it "works". Canonical would need to sell to OEM's but OEM's are locked into agreements with microsoft. Besides they don't want to deal with the tech calls for "why won't my commercial program I bought at my local best try store work?". The companies that are willing to deal in linux (like system 76 and others) already do so.

drawkcab
August 18th, 2011, 06:04 PM
Warn people that they cannot run Windows stuff without Wine. I've heard stories of people buying computers with Ubuntu preinstalled only to find out it doesn't run Windows stuff then return the computer.

Well if Can. starts doing this, how will I score all my cheap refurbs???

sanderd17
August 18th, 2011, 06:18 PM
Canonical could at least promote Ubuntu hardware vendors on the Ubuntu site, and help those vendors to get into shops instead of just via the internet.

If people buy Android, they should also be able to buy Ubuntu with the right marketing.

el_koraco
August 18th, 2011, 07:38 PM
Ubuntu should ensure stronger compatibility with hardware as Windows.

How is "Ubuntu" supposed to do this, when the hardware compatibility is ensured by the kernel, and Canonical doesn't employ any developers to work on the kernel? You know that Ubuntu is just a mix of software created by other developers, with a few things added on?

sanderd17
August 18th, 2011, 07:45 PM
How is "Ubuntu" supposed to do this, when the hardware compatibility is ensured by the kernel, and Canonical doesn't employ any developers to work on the kernel? You know that Ubuntu is just a mix of software created by other developers, with a few things added on?

It's certainly not canonical's job to enhance hardware support, they should follow what Google did with android: convince hardware makers. That way, those hardware makers will ensure compatibility with the Linux kernel.

Ubuntu is not bad, it just needs better marketing (although Canonical is already doing quite good).

dniMretsaM
August 18th, 2011, 08:07 PM
I say market to OEM's. I think a few advertisements on tech-related websites/blogs couldn't hurt. Since the main beakers of the site are probably either tech literate or want to become more literate, they wouldn't be afraid of installing a new OS. I'm also for the idea of promoting vendors who sell computers pre-installed with Ubuntu (or other GNU/Linux OS's) such as System 76 on the main web site.

Jonnyfavorite9
August 18th, 2011, 08:10 PM
Canonical is definitel not doing enough to promote ubuntu's online vendors.

dniMretsaM
August 18th, 2011, 08:52 PM
Another idea I heard was to have a service bar type thing in big computer stores (like Best Buy) where people could go and have their laptops checked for compatibility and then have Ubuntu installed and set up on it. They could leave it and pick it back up in like an hour or so and have themselves a brand new, fully set up OS. They could maybe have a check list of things they want installed (i.e. what browser, what email client, etc.). With a little planning, it could work out pretty nice.

unknownPoster
August 18th, 2011, 09:04 PM
Another idea I heard was to have a service bar type thing in big computer stores (like Best Buy) where people could go and have their laptops checked for compatibility and then have Ubuntu installed and set up on it. They could leave it and pick it back up in like an hour or so and have themselves a brand new, fully set up OS. They could maybe have a check list of things they want installed (i.e. what browser, what email client, etc.). With a little planning, it could work out pretty nice.

Won't happen. People don't want Linux. They want Windows.

Dell tried having Ubuntu as the default OS on their netbooks. Look where that went.

Major manufacturers have tried and it failed. What more can you do?

Thewhistlingwind
August 18th, 2011, 09:09 PM

Dell tried having Ubuntu as the default OS on their netbooks. Look where that went.

The whole situation feels really hopeless to be honest.:neutral:

Phrea
August 18th, 2011, 09:10 PM
Uhm...
Regardless of our opinion, Canonical is not some bottomless money pit.
This is a ridiculous poll.

No, they should make a stronger effort to promote Ubuntu.
Are you going to pay for it?

cariboo
August 18th, 2011, 09:16 PM
All these ideas are wonderful, but think about how much you paid for Ubuntu, and then ask yourself where the funding is going to come from.

Even if every one of our members donated $10.00, that would only be enough to run a fairly short advertising campaign, in one major city.

JDShu
August 18th, 2011, 10:51 PM
Canonical needs to sell official Ubuntu preinstalls that are guaranteed to work.

Thewhistlingwind
August 18th, 2011, 11:06 PM
Canonical needs to sell official Ubuntu preinstalls that are guaranteed to work.

Or they could go ahead and advertise the ones that already exist on their website. (System 76/etc.)

JDShu
August 19th, 2011, 01:01 AM
Or they could go ahead and advertise the ones that already exist on their website. (System 76/etc.)

I think they should actively support their own official builds. I guess they could also actively support System76. By that, I mean make sure that any regressions that exist on their official builds are fixed before shipping Ubuntu in April and October.

IWantFroyo
August 19th, 2011, 01:03 AM
I prefer that a system is advertised by good experiences and word of mouth.

Any company with money can make a horrid system and then pay people to promote it.

Frogs Hair
August 19th, 2011, 01:44 AM
Had I not seen a 9.10/Wubi review on one of the web pages I visit , it would have taken longer before I tried Ubuntu or another Linux distribution .

Tibuda
August 19th, 2011, 01:48 AM
Your options are biased.

No, they should not promote ubuntu, but make more effort to fix ubuntu issues.

dniMretsaM
August 19th, 2011, 03:15 AM
Your options are biased.

No, they should not promote ubuntu, but make more effort to fix ubuntu issues.

Name me an operating system that doesn't have issues.

Tibuda
August 19th, 2011, 11:23 AM
Name me an operating system that doesn't have issues.

what's your point?

el_koraco
August 19th, 2011, 11:39 AM
It's certainly not canonical's job to enhance hardware support, they should follow what Google did with android: convince hardware makers. That way, those hardware makers will ensure compatibility with the Linux kernel.

The only way would be to somehow convince hardware manufacturers to give out hardware specifications. That sort of thing isn't done by a particular company, but by long-term initiatives of the whole open source community. And if you want to compare Ubuntu to Android (although I don't see why people have the need to do that), Google offered hardware manufacturers a ready to use operating system they could develop hardware for, whereas "PC" hardware manufacturers already have such a system - Microsoft Windows.

unknownPoster
August 19th, 2011, 05:31 PM
The whole situation feels really hopeless to be honest.:neutral:

I don't think it's hopeless. At the same time, I don't think Linux belongs on most consumer's desktops either.

Linux is king of it's niche. Webservers are by far dominated by Linux. Computer Science Research and Development is also dominated by Linux.

In my opinion, Canonical needs to quit trying to push Linux where it won't work and rather further improve the areas where Linux really shines.

Have you ever seen Red Hat trying to push Linux on to consumer desktops? I know I haven't, but look where they are.

dniMretsaM
August 19th, 2011, 05:36 PM
what's your point?

The point being that just because an OS has issues doesn't mean it can't be popular or even a major OS in terms of people using/want to use it.

alexfish
August 20th, 2011, 08:12 PM

http://eon.businesswire.com/news/eon/20110602005122/en/Canonical/Ubuntu/ASUS-Eee

http://liliputing.com/2011/07/asus-eee-pc-1215p-with-ubuntu-linux-now-available-in-italy.html

Thewhistlingwind
August 20th, 2011, 08:20 PM
Have you ever seen Red Hat trying to push Linux on to consumer desktops? I know I haven't, but look where they are.

The whole point of Ubuntu is to be a desktop distribution.

Erik1984
August 20th, 2011, 09:44 PM
http://eon.businesswire.com/news/eon/20110602005122/en/Canonical/Ubuntu/ASUS-Eee

http://liliputing.com/2011/07/asus-eee-pc-1215p-with-ubuntu-linux-now-available-in-italy.html

I've seen that same articles about the asus eee pc before (http://www.canonical.com/content/asus-new-eee-pc-now-available-ubuntu-operating-system).

The three ASUS Eee PC models, 1001PXD, 1011PX and 1015PX, is available with Ubuntu 10.10 pre-installed from June 1st 2011 through ASUS sales channels.

I'd really like to know which sales channels, not the website. At least not the European ASUS sites. But maybe I just overlooked it.

cprofitt
August 20th, 2011, 11:06 PM
I read many of the responses here...

I do not think marketing is the answer... I think hardware partnerships is. System76 and other vendors that start using Ubuntu is what is needed. I would love to see Canonical work with Asus and start producing some Ubuntu computers that go direct sale; then later perhaps the box stored.

However, I understand that from my viewpoint I have no where near enough knowledge to even begin to know what would be possible or make sense. Canonical is made up of fantastic people whom I think have done an excellent job navigating the waters.

ugm6hr
August 20th, 2011, 11:25 PM
The only realistic mechanism is to accept that an OS is integral to a "PC" - and sell OEM builds as such.
The problem is the 6-monthly update cycle, alongside lack of support for upgrades.
The original Dell Mini 9 is a good example - no official way to upgrade from 8.04. A fantastic netbook, but without prior Ubuntu knowledge, upgrading is impossible.
PCs are not quite as disposable as mobile phones / tablets - hence the need for upgrade potential and the latest version of applications.

Primefalcon
August 21st, 2011, 04:37 AM
Sell promoting is a waste of effort... what Canonical needs to do is what they're already heavy in talks over atm... And that is getting hardware vendors to sell computers with Buntu pre-installed

ninjaaron
August 21st, 2011, 12:50 PM
I think a few advertisements on tech-related websites/blogs couldn't hurt.

Most of the leading tech sites provide fairly good coverage of Ubuntu usually with several stories a month talking about it.

aysiu
August 21st, 2011, 06:05 PM
Advertising without an actual product to advertise that is well-implemented and easily available to consumers is worthless (possibly even harmful) advertising.

The vast majority of folks would not have a positive or easy experience of trying to figure out what an .iso file is and how to install it on their computers, no matter how "user friendly" Ubuntu makes the installer.

sanderd17
August 21st, 2011, 07:14 PM
Advertising without an actual product to advertise that is well-implemented and easily available to consumers is worthless (possibly even harmful) advertising.

The vast majority of folks would not have a positive or easy experience of trying to figure out what an .iso file is and how to install it on their computers, no matter how "user friendly" Ubuntu makes the installer.

Agreed, that's why they need to advertise together with hardware makers (existing Ubuntu distributers as System76 or convince new ones).

dniMretsaM
August 21st, 2011, 10:50 PM
Most of the leading tech sites provide fairly good coverage of Ubuntu usually with several stories a month talking about it.

Yeah that's true I suppose. Maybe and advertisement fro System76 though (or other pre-installed Linux computer store). Canonical probably wouldn't be the ones to handle that though.

aysiu
August 21st, 2011, 11:16 PM
Agreed, that's why they need to advertise together with hardware makers (existing Ubuntu distributers as System76 or convince new ones).
Eh. I don't think that'll take off.

Several problems with that approach: System76 isn't well-known by the general public. System76 ships only to America (maybe Canada now?). And even if you pay extra for shipping to Europe or other places, the charger won't work without an adapter or converter. Not ideal. I know some people will say this is subjective, but the System76 builds don't look particularly cutting edge in terms of aesthetics. Yes, that matters to a lot of consumers, including me. System76 often has to make its own patches to make sure hardware works. It'd be much better if Ubuntu partnered with a well-known OEM to produce Ubuntu-specific hardware that will be guaranteed to work with all future releases of Ubuntu. It's an online-only offering. Works fine for the Kindle, which was a pioneering technology offered by a well-known vendor (Amazon). Most of the time with expensive electronics purchases, people want to try stuff out in person. System76 and ZaReason are fine for Ubuntu idealists who want to support free software, but when ordinary consumers compare specs to similar Windows-preinstalled computers, they'll see the Windows computers as significantly cheaper. Apple has a branding power and integration of hardware and software that can command that kind of premium--System76 does not.

dinamic1
August 21st, 2011, 11:16 PM
they are doing it wrong...

Thewhistlingwind
August 22nd, 2011, 12:21 AM

Several problems with that approach:

[Realtalk]

I didn't mean as a primary strategy. When I said "Promote system76" I really meant. "Please throw them a bone and link to them somewhere on the website, preferably a page linked from the download section."

Of course, they may already do this and I just didn't notice it the last time I went and downloaded an Ubuntu ISO.

dniMretsaM
August 22nd, 2011, 03:27 AM

[over-analyzation]

A few things: (1) Ubuntu is not known to the general public. People willing to use a "different" OS might also be willing to use a "different" vendor. (2) That's true, but I think there are other vendors that ship elseware (maybe not though). (3) Yes it is subjective. Also a lot of people don't really care (like me). If you really care, you could always get a new case. And I know there is a Linux computer vendor that has pretty nice looking computers, but it's name escapes me. I'll find it later. (4) That would be an unreasonable claim for any OEM to make for any OS. How many computers made for Windows 95 are compatible with Windows 7? (5) True that might be a problem for some. But others might not care (again, like me). (6) A very sad truth. Hopefully that can be remedied in the near future.

Note that I'm not disagreeing with you that this is not the best way to go about spreading Ubuntu/Linux. Making a deal with a major OEM and putting computers on local Best Buy shelves is definitely something to shoot for. But it would be a start.

ScionicSpectre
August 22nd, 2011, 04:16 AM
I'm going to have to second the sentiment that distribution can easily trump popularity- it's like hitting two birds with one stone. Having a product on shelves in the first place can do a ton for your credibility.

I think the work that's been done with DELL and the collaboration around Linux that has strengthened due to Ubuntu's popularity has done a lot to help open source in the past few years or so. Things have definitely escalated. However, I think it's silly to think that Ubuntu's supposed 'lack of satisfying growth' (as in everybody you know using it) is due to a lack of trying.

The only popularity contest I'm concerned with is the one that gets Linux on laptops in the stores. If it's MeeGo that does that, Ubuntu, or some other distribution, I don't care. I just want an option, something I can point to when people question Linux's credibility as a useful software ecosystem.

Android has done a lot to help me explain when people ask what I use and why, and buying it online is great, but it would be SO awesome to be able to test Unity or GNOME Shell at a store and impress people immediately. I wonder if we'll have another good opening for that any time in the near future.

8jwong14
August 24th, 2011, 11:38 PM
I'm going to have to second the sentiment that distribution can easily trump popularity- it's like hitting two birds with one stone. Having a product on shelves in the first place can do a ton for your credibility.

I think the work that's been done with DELL and the collaboration around Linux that has strengthened due to Ubuntu's popularity has done a lot to help open source in the past few years or so. Things have definitely escalated. However, I think it's silly to think that Ubuntu's supposed 'lack of satisfying growth' (as in everybody you know using it) is due to a lack of trying.

The only popularity contest I'm concerned with is the one that gets Linux on laptops in the stores. If it's MeeGo that does that, Ubuntu, or some other distribution, I don't care. I just want an option, something I can point to when people question Linux's credibility as a useful software ecosystem.

Android has done a lot to help me explain when people ask what I use and why, and buying it online is great, but it would be SO awesome to be able to test Unity or GNOME Shell at a store and impress people immediately. I wonder if we'll have another good opening for that any time in the near future.

"but it would be SO awesome to be able to test Unity or GNOME Shell at a store and impress people immediately." In school, when Iw as supposed to be studying on the computers, I instead opened a omgubuntu and some people saw and got interested. Then I talked about the virtues of Ubuntu.

christopher.wortman
August 25th, 2011, 04:26 AM
Send me thousands of free Ubuntu LTS CDs of the next LTS release and I will do everything in my power to make sure they are handed out to everyone I come into contact with... send me a pm if you want to help me out...