PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] User Desktop of 11.04, how to revert back to 10.4 style?

mwade
August 18th, 2011, 03:31 PM
Hello,

I just installed the latest version, 11.04. The desktop layout is very different from 10.04 and would like to revert back to the layout of 10.04, is there a way to do that? Right now I have a Windows type bar on the left hand side, with no easy way to access the applications etc.

Thanks,

TBABill
August 18th, 2011, 03:49 PM
A couple ways. Log out, then when you enter your username to log back in, don't hit enter. At the bottom, select Ubuntu Classic. That'll get you to standard Gnome 2. Or you can reinstall 10.04 or 10.10.

Ms_Angel_D
August 18th, 2011, 03:49 PM
Hi, Log out of your desktop and select your name. Before typing your password and hitting enter look at the bottom of the screen and switch from Ubuntu desktop edition to Ubuntu classic desktop.

That should give you the old gnome look back.

davidpeter88
August 21st, 2011, 12:43 PM
Don't think this is important enough to warrant its own topic so I'll post it here if that's OK.

I did this just now and while my windows are all showing the theme I have set the desktop itself (bars at the top and bottom of screen) isn't. It's plain grey and boxy, like the old windows style. Anyone know how I can get it to display my theme? Changing the theme does nothing.

Reg71
August 21st, 2011, 03:16 PM
A couple ways. Log out, then when you enter your username to log back in, don't hit enter. At the bottom, select Ubuntu Classic. That'll get you to standard Gnome 2. Or you can reinstall 10.04 or 10.10.

Hi, Log out of your desktop and select your name. Before typing your password and hitting enter look at the bottom of the screen and switch from Ubuntu desktop edition to Ubuntu classic desktop.

That should give you the old gnome look back.

I'm probably just being redundant, but it took me a couple tries so I thought I'd chime in. Note that both of these guys said to choose your username. That is what I kept missing since I only had one login, I thought my name was already chosen. I had to actually click on it and then the options appeared at the bottom for me. I must have reread how to do it like 3 times. I much prefer the old look with a dock similar to what apple uses at the bottom.