PDA

View Full Version : Cookie trackers

Oxwivi
August 18th, 2011, 12:14 PM
I've been wondering, but how do these work? Wouldn't they need to execute some codes to do the tracking?

conundrumx
August 18th, 2011, 03:18 PM
Cookies save bits of information (normally login and session stuff) for a website on your local computer. Cookie tracking involves reading all your cookies and using them to determine what websites you browse.

The way cookies are used by one web service to track you across others is by having bits of their stuff embedded in other domains, so they can see where you're going without reading local files.

handy
August 18th, 2011, 04:54 PM
Many apart from myself use the Beef Taco & Better Privacy, Firefox add-ons to block the tricky cookies.

I also have Firefox set to ask my permission for every cookie, which initially requires more mouse clicking than it does later on, as Firefox can thankfully remember my per site settings.

Oxwivi
August 18th, 2011, 06:52 PM
I see, I see, thanks. I was under the mistaken impression that cookie tracking was a local activity relayed online.

handy
August 19th, 2011, 03:05 AM
You may like to have a look at the following linked to page, it will certainly give you some things to think about :):

http://browserspy.dk/