PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Should I fresh install of upgrade to 11.04?

sofasurfer
August 18th, 2011, 10:22 AM
I talling 11.04 but when I reboot after completing installation I freeze up on the big dark screen with just a flashing cursor. I could not find a solution so I reinstalled 10.04. So my question is, is it a good idea to upgrade to get 11.04 going or is there a solution to getting a fresh install of 11.04 working? I have never done a upgrade to a newer distro. Do you get the same results as if you did a fresh install?

ottosykora
August 18th, 2011, 12:52 PM
well, many people will tell you that there is nothing better then complete fresh install and all those upgrades are just half the thing.

From my experience, in most cases the upgrade went fine, sometimes I was upgrading few versions step one after the other and all was nice.
Upgrade means you do not have to install all the extra software you have collected from where ever after some time.

Upgrade takes time, it has to download this and that, then slowly replace all relevant things, sometimes you have to answer some question, but otherwise all works full automatic.

But one thing should be done, all updates before the next upgrade. Simply make your system on the old version most uptodate and stable and properly working first.

But I had also some bad experiences. One time an upgrade damaged the grub, other time the next version simply refused to work stable on my hardware.

In your special case , when the direct install refuses to work due to some driver problems etc, it is likely to behave similar after an upgrade too rather then cure the problem.

I would suggest first check if all works from life CD for example before installing or upgrading.