PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Start Menu???

cheeseham
August 17th, 2011, 06:32 PM
Hi guys,
I am new to Ubuntu and there I am having trouble with something very silly. When I click on the Icon for the "Start Menu"(sorry for the windows trems) I get a into shortcuts and not the "Start Menu". Can anyone tell me to get this icon to do what I want?

Thank you in advance

mace9984
August 17th, 2011, 06:46 PM
I'm kind of new to ubuntu myself but I found if you right click on the task bar and select add to panel --> Main Menu, you'll get access to the main menu. I'm sure someone here can provide more assistance but that may help you start to get around.

fjgaude
August 17th, 2011, 07:03 PM
Hi guys,
I am new to Ubuntu and there I am having trouble with something very silly. When I click on the Icon for the "Start Menu"(sorry for the windows trems) I get a into shortcuts and not the "Start Menu". Can anyone tell me to get this icon to do what I want?

Thank you in advance

Are you using Oneiric, version 11.10, that still in Alpha testing?

cheeseham
August 17th, 2011, 07:09 PM
Thanks.
I do not have to option of right clicking on the icon. But, I have found a temp soln online.
It will give me time to figure out the original issue. When I clicked the icon originally it would bring up a black section and you can search applications, and there are a few default locations like Music and Media I think. I think it a shortcut search area or something. I do not know what to call it really. But thanks anyway.

cheeseham
August 17th, 2011, 07:11 PM
version 11.10 i think. I only git it in the last two weeks

fjgaude
August 17th, 2011, 08:32 PM
I would use 11.04... 11.10 is half finished, lots of broken things. Like no main menu.

SavageWolf
August 17th, 2011, 08:34 PM
If you log out and select your username, at the bottom of the screen there is a dropdown box with "Unity" in it, if you change it to "Ubuntu Classic" you will get a more "classic" interface.