PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Help with resizing partitions after dualboot?

jfed
August 17th, 2011, 04:51 PM
Hello. I am currently using Ubuntu 10.10 on my laptop. I saw Fedora had the new Gnome3, so I decided I might like to try that, My hard drive is about 230GB. Ubuntu currently has all of it, and I would like to make a small partition for Fedora. I know that during the Fedora install you can resize the current Ubuntu partition manually, very simple, gives you the size in MB, and you just shrink it, and Fedora takes up the remaining amount of space.

My actual question here, is how would I, if I should like Fedora 15 more than I thought I would, proceed to shrink the Ubuntu partition more, and increase the one for Fedora?

Ubuntu would have 200GB. Fedora would have 30GB. How do I go from this point, to having Ubuntu use 180GB, and Fedora having 60GB?

I realize there are lots and lots of guides already on the Ubuntu website for help with partitioning etc, but they all seem to be about first time install, or for doing so with windows. All I would like to do is use something like gparted to resize the Ubuntu partitions and expand the Fedora one. If some one could point me to the correct guide, that would be helpful. Any input is appreciated, thanks.

dolphin194
August 17th, 2011, 05:13 PM
You can put Gparted on a flash drive or burn it to a disc. It works pretty well I've used it many times in the past. Just make sure you back up your data first if you can.