PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Panel disappearing in 11.04

evenrelation
August 17th, 2011, 04:32 PM
Hopefully this topic belongs here.

After I updated to 11.04, I've been having panel problems. I use the classic version since I dislike Unity.

Basically, when I perform an action, like right clicking on the desktop or a file, parts of my panel will simply disappear. The image file of the problem is hopefully in the attachments.

This is definitely not a massive problem, but can be slightly irritating, especially when I'm easily irritated.

Are others having the same problem? Reminds me of a similar issue with Karmic.

MARP1961
August 18th, 2011, 12:22 AM
This seems to be a common Gnome 2 problem and I've not seen a permanent fix for it.
killall gnome-panel will sort it out but it will always rear it's head again.

In the next version of Ubuntu in October, the Unity 'shell' will run on top of Gnome 3. Perhaps it will not have this problem. Although you will not have a 'Classic' option, you will be able to install Gnome 3's own 'Gnome Shell' which will give you a login choice. To me Gnome Shell looks so much better than Unity and it's search facility is excellent.

infamous-online
August 18th, 2011, 03:03 AM
This seems to be a common Gnome 2 problem and I've not seen a permanent fix for it.
killall gnome-panel will sort it out but it will always rear it's head again.

In the next version of Ubuntu in October, the Unity 'shell' will run on top of Gnome 3. Perhaps it will not have this problem. Although you will not have a 'Classic' option, you will be able to install Gnome 3's own 'Gnome Shell' which will give you a login choice. To me Gnome Shell looks so much better than Unity and it's search facility is excellent.

I'll just switch to KDE if that's the case as I am not fond of the gnome 3 interface or Unity. I like the classic gnome look but with it being removed after 11.04 I'll just use KDE instead.