PDA

View Full Version : kde-full or Kubuntu ?

realzippy
August 17th, 2011, 12:53 PM
Since gnome's road seems to go in a direction I don 't like,I
decided after a few happy years to have a closer look on KDE.

Short question:
Install kde-full or a fresh kubuntu?
Advantages/disadvantages ?

raja.genupula
August 17th, 2011, 01:12 PM
its better to go with Kubuntu . then you can install all the things what ever you want .

RichardLinx
August 17th, 2011, 01:14 PM
I'd personally go with vanilla KDE to avoid the bloat that comes with Kubuntu. Then if you're missing anything essential you can just apt-get it.

Kubuntu has gotten better, but it's still not the type of KDE distro that I think is near-perfect from a clean install. Besides, you'll be wanting to upgrade to a newer version of KDE anyway since 4.7 is out and Kubuntu 11.04 comes with 4.6.x installed iirc.

realzippy
August 17th, 2011, 01:21 PM
Kubuntu has gotten better, but it's still not the type of KDE distro that I think is near-perfect from a clean install.

So which distro would you suggest ?
Btw,I don't mind tweaking...
KDE 4.7 not in proposed updates?

RichardLinx
August 17th, 2011, 01:27 PM
Well, if you want a nice KDE experience from the get-go, then I'd say openSUSE. But that's just my opinion - and this is coming from someone who thinks YaST is a great tool, and I know a lot of people think otherwise. If you've used suse before and liked it then jumping the gun and going with openSUSE 11.4 + KDE will be a great move.

But if you're comfortable with apt, go with ubuntu minimal and install KDE from there and build it to your preference.

Ichtyandr
August 17th, 2011, 01:33 PM
If you install 10.04, you should add ppa:kubuntu-ppa/backports for KDE 4.7, or ppa:kubuntu-ppa for KDE 4.6.5 (bugfix release). Have a look at kubuntu.org
Sometimes people advise against ubuntu with kde, suggest other distros, like suse or mandriva/mageia. I have nothing against those (actually mandrake was my first linux).
On the other hand I think there is nothing wrong with Kubuntu. It will be very familiar if you are used to ubuntu system. It has improved a lot recently with kubuntu-backports you can always get the latest KDE with ubuntu.

kellemes
August 17th, 2011, 01:37 PM

Myself, I'm using Kubuntu with 4.7.0 from ppa:kubuntu-ppa/backports. Use only if you need to go bleeding edge..
It's a very cool environment!!
I always install Kubuntu fresh.. My personal experience is that *most* applications I use are kde- or qt-based and so I don't need the extra bloat from the Gnome-environment.

Edit: as previous poster said.. you can also get 4.6.5 which seems to be somewhat more stable on my system, and have better performance with my specific NVidia-card/driver.

elliotn
August 17th, 2011, 01:42 PM
after I installed ubuntu 11.04 and decided to try kde I installed kubuntu-desktop and I fell in love with it and now I upgraded to kde 4.7, I love it

realzippy
August 17th, 2011, 01:46 PM
Ok,just started downloading kubuntu 11.04...

Using Kubuntu with 4.7.0 from ppa:kubuntu-ppa/backports. Only if you need to go bleeding edge..

...don't need,but like to.Also this will not be my "working" system,so I will include the backports ppa.Thanks for this.
Any other suggestions for KDE "Must Have" tweaks/apps ?

kellemes
August 17th, 2011, 01:48 PM

Using Kubuntu with 4.7.0 from ppa:kubuntu-ppa/backports. Only if you need to go bleeding edge..

...don't need,but like to.Also this will not be my "working" system,so I will include the backports ppa.Thanks for this.

Depends on what you need..
Personally I can't live without Krusader (http://www.krusader.org/) but that's because I'm a sucker for twin-pane filemanagement.

Aquix
August 17th, 2011, 01:48 PM
If you want kde then go for opensuse, fedora or some other distro. Kubuntu does not have the best kde implementation, but if you do go with it, there are tweaks to make it smoother, just search youtube.

I'm moving to kde soon too for the same reasons btw :)

kellemes
August 17th, 2011, 01:51 PM
Some documentation you may be interested in..
http://www.kubuntuguide.info/index.php/Natty

realzippy
August 17th, 2011, 01:56 PM
If you want kde then go for opensuse, fedora or some other distro.

Honestly the reason for not changing distro is this forum community.
I made my 1rst linux experience with SuSe 6.x a few years ago.
Think it used to be a german distro those days,wanted to make my modem work.
I nearly got killed by german technocrats for my newbie question...maybe
the suse forum spirit has changed meanwhile..

ilovelinux33467
August 17th, 2011, 02:01 PM

If you need a download manager then KGet should be already installed. I find KGet to be excellent. :)

realzippy
August 17th, 2011, 02:09 PM
Depends on what you need..
Personally I can't live without Krusader (http://www.krusader.org/) but that's because I'm a sucker for twin-pane filemanagement.
Me to.

sudo apt-get install mc
always used to be 1rst action on a fresh ubuntu install...

Aquix
August 17th, 2011, 02:17 PM
Honestly the reason for not changing distro is this forum community.
I made my 1rst linux experience with SuSe 6.x a few years ago.
Think it used to be a german distro those days,wanted to make my modem work.
I nearly got killed by german technocrats for my newbie question...maybe
the suse forum spirit has changed meanwhile..

Don't need to use ubuntu to use ubuntuforums. I have used other distros and still gotten help from here. It's varies but is much the same kernel, x.org and desktop environment.
I see people with other distroes here all the time. :)

If the suseforums are as bad as you say then there are many alternatives. And the linux forums I visit have overall changed their tone massively in my opinion. People tend to not like newbie bashing even if the questions are easy. I know I don't, and speak out against it if I see it. No need for that behaviour.

ilovelinux33467
August 17th, 2011, 02:18 PM
Also: Kate which I find to be an excellent text editor (I use this when not using emacs). It has some cool features like vi input mode and an inbuilt terminal.

StephanG
August 17th, 2011, 02:48 PM
Well, as a KDE lover, I have to say that I've tried OpenSUSE, but came back to Kubuntu. I've only realized what a big difference the Ubuntu font makes when you don't have it. SUSE's fonts are hideous.

And also, there where a few things that were very simple to set up, in Kubuntu that I just couldn't figure out in SUSE. The package installer kept tripping over itself wanting to uninstall things that I've just installed to make room for other things that should have any conflicts.

And also, for some weird reason, I simply couldn't get SUSE to see my Windows and Kubuntu partitions in Grub. Or rather, the setup program in SUSE could see them, but I couldn't see them when booting.

All in all, Kubuntu is a great KDE distro. And I'd be willing to bet, that anyone who says otherwise, either hasn't really tried one of the new releases, or hasn't tried one of the other recent KDE releases. Mostly, I think it's Gnome users who are repeating the same "second rate" chant that used to be true a few years ago. Now, I find it to be at least equal to any other mainstream distro. (Not including those who ship with codecs, etc.)

Personally, I would say do a clean install of Kubuntu. With Ubuntu, you never really know how its going to go down. And it tends to clutter up your menus with GTK and KDE apps. And GTK and KDE apps don't use the same conventions. So if you install KDE on Ubuntu, some of your apps the cancel will be on the left, and with others on the right... All in all, a clean install just works better.

realzippy
August 17th, 2011, 02:57 PM
I am about downloading the 2nd kubuntu 11.04 iso.
1rst iso burnt by brasero refuses to boot,although checksum is correct;it
was a torrent,now trying main server... :confused:

StephanG
August 17th, 2011, 03:07 PM
If you've got a USB disk, you could open up Ubuntu's startup disk creator, and point it to your .iso and USB stick. Then when it's done you could just boot from the USB disk. Then it doesn't cost you a CD...

Erik1984
August 17th, 2011, 03:36 PM
I am about downloading the 2nd kubuntu 11.04 iso.
1rst iso burnt by brasero refuses to boot,although checksum is correct;it
was a torrent,now trying main server... :confused:

Does it not boot at all or do you get a black screen after the initial menu? If the latter is the case adding the 'nomodeset' bootoption might work. Well it never hurts to burn another iso just to make sure.

realzippy
August 17th, 2011, 04:19 PM
No problem,2nd iso worked.
I am posting this with konquerer,means install worked fine.
Only thing I did not like that there was no option on "manual" to
not install grub,since I had a few buntus already on this disc.

Well....what should I say after 5 minutes....strange new world.
Surprised that there is no firefox by default....will suck all updates,then
install firefox.Yeah,and one thing I already miss:
Synaptic.
Is there anything against installing it?

Edit:
just realise that rekonq seems to be pretty snappy....

kellemes
August 17th, 2011, 04:39 PM
Synaptic.
Is there anything against installing it?

No, I don't like KDE's KPackageKit myself so use synaptic as well..

BrokenKingpin
August 17th, 2011, 05:01 PM
Kubuntu 11.04 should be fine. It doesn't have the new KDE 4.7, but it really isn't all that different from 4.6.

openSUSE probably has a nicer KDE implementation than Kubuntu, but I still prefer the Ubuntu base over openSUSE... and Kubuntu gets better with each release.

Aquix
August 17th, 2011, 05:07 PM
You can get whatever font you want with opensuse, but I agree that the default ones are not very pretty.

Muon is a nice package manager for kde.

realzippy
August 17th, 2011, 05:39 PM
Kubuntu 11.04 should be fine. It doesn't have the new KDE 4.7, ...

...already installed 4.7 ;-)

realzippy
August 17th, 2011, 05:49 PM
Setting this thread as solved,because I decided to install Kubuntu on it's own and already have done this.
After messing with unity/gnome shell a few weeks I now enjoy configuring a Desktop which doesn't treat me as I where...CENSORED
After adding 2nd panel to the top,installing synaptic,firefox,compiz,backports,proposed and
kicking kde stuff I will never need I already feel at home.
Think I can live with this when 10.04 reached EOL and gnome 2.x is history.

Thanks to all for the input in this thread,feel free to add more,will not un-subsribe.
Have fun!
zippy

Erik1984
August 17th, 2011, 06:17 PM
Muon comes closest to Synaptic (in case you are still looking for a KDE-alternative) I'd say but I'm not a KDE expert, just ran Kubuntu for a few months. edit: Never mind, Muon was already mentioned.

realzippy
August 17th, 2011, 06:37 PM
Already have installed synaptic.looks like it was on Win95 on KDE,but who cares.
Will have a look at Muon,thanks!

Perfect Storm
August 17th, 2011, 06:44 PM

My suggestion for KDE/qt written libs/apps (well...and needs):
VLC - multimedia player.
phonon VLC backend - sound to system via VLC (remember to set it in sound pref. afterwards).
Kdenlive - video editor/movie maker
kid3 - tag maker/editor
kaudiocreator - edit/rip CDs
ffmpegthumbs - plugin for dolphin to watch movies in Dolphin file browser.
kdvdcreator - make/create DVDs with your own menus etc.
Musescore - music writer application
RecorditNow! - record your Desktop.

realzippy
August 17th, 2011, 07:05 PM
Thanks,A.I. !

Just realise that I ran into trouble after trying to set up compiz...
cannot start compiz.Guess I have to google a little..

edit:
...ok,sorted it out.KDE/QT event loop has to be disabled in CCSM,otherwise compiz crashes.
Now I have the Desktop Cube and my wobbly windows.GREAT!

Ric_NYC
August 17th, 2011, 07:21 PM
I use Kubuntu but I had to install the Software Center. I got used to it after using Ubuntu. It works flawless on Kubuntu.

I use Clementine instead of Amarok.

VLC as the media player.

For the GTK applications: "QT-Curve" and "Use My KDE Fonts in GTK+ Applications".

realzippy
August 17th, 2011, 07:33 PM
QT-Curve" and "Use My KDE Fonts in GTK+ Applications"

..sorry,but where are those options to be set?

Ric_NYC
August 17th, 2011, 07:42 PM
QT-Curve" and "Use My KDE Fonts in GTK+ Applications"

..sorry,but where are those options to be set?

System Settings > Application Appearance > GTK+ Appearance

Choose the settings you think make the GTK apps integrated to the KDE desktop.

realzippy
August 17th, 2011, 07:46 PM
Thanks,got it,but this setting was already default.
Synaptic still looks a little strange,but I can live with that.

StephanG
August 17th, 2011, 08:10 PM
Okay, you mentioned a few things, which had me a little worried. Are you sure you installed 11.04?

Because firstly you said:

...installed compiz...

Compiz shouldn't be necessary, because KDE already has its own desktop effects. It has wobbly windows, desktop cube, and lots of other effects. In fact, it should be enabled by default. You might have to install latest graphics drivers to get all of it to work, but... That seems like a lot of unnecessary trouble.

You just have to go to System Settings, and check inside "Desktop Effects" it should all be in there. Compiz does have slightly more effects, but if you just want smooth basics like wobbly windows, transparency display windows, desktop cube, etc. then KDE's should suffice.

And the other thing... Oh, wait I see you mentioned Rekonq in your edit. Nevermind... I was afraid that you installed an older version of Kubuntu. Kubuntu doesn't use konqueror anymore.

But if Synaptics looks really bother you, I suggest you use Muon, it is a near drop in replacement and fits in well with KDE. In fact, it can do something that Synaptic can't do, which is browse packages while something else (like a console) is busy installing something. Although, that might just be because my Synaptic is on Ubuntu 11.10 Alpha 3...

Some other packages that are useful:
yakuake = drop down terminal.
plasma-widget-lancelot = better menu
oxygen-transparent = really pretty transparent windows o.O check my screenshot! You'll have to compile it yourself, but there's a script that does everything for you. You just have to run ./oxygen-setup.pl you can find it with a quick google search.

And, otherwise, enjoy it! Explore, and have fun!

realzippy
August 18th, 2011, 11:02 AM
Yes,I indeed installed compiz.
Honestly I did not know about the effects that are already inlcuded.
My last KDE experience is 2 years ago,where I ran compiz.
Thats also reason why I call rekonq konquerer..
You are right,installing compiz was a bad idea,it kinda works,but
window decorations (also tried emerald) are smashed up.
No real problem,but I should have read a little about the modern
KDE desktop before installing it I admit.
Today I will clean up this mess.
Not to be able to do anything else in synaptic during it works didn 't
really bother me,but I will have a look at muon.
Thanks for all suggestions.
Do you run 4.7 ?

reyfer
August 18th, 2011, 11:45 AM
Synaptic still looks a little strange,but I can live with that.

You should try Muon, comes with a package manager (like Synaptic it is a front-end to apt-get and dpkg) and a software center, and it was developed by a Kubuntu developer so it integrates great....and it will be the default in 11.10 so may at least start getting used to it :)

realzippy
August 18th, 2011, 05:00 PM
I suggest you use Muon, it is a near drop in replacement and fits in well with KDE. In fact, it can do something that Synaptic can't do, which is browse packages while something else (like a console) is busy installing something.

Tested muon now.
Unfortunately this doesn't work here,when muon installs packages,I cannot do anything else with it (eg browsing packages).
One thing I dislike:
If I choose sort by origin,it doesn't show me eg. multiverse,universe aso.
Also medibuntu packages are not shown as they are in synaptic...

retchid
August 18th, 2011, 05:40 PM
would agree with Richard above I looked at some distros after Unity got released plumped for Open suse

minor irritations only it is very stable - HP desktop, Acer aspire one netbook and sony vio (duel boot with win7 on desktop) Ubuntu has too many boot up issues now and my acer would not boot 9 times out of 10 but that may be the ssd drive that locks up (opensuse no problems at all)

use wine forr the spotify install, clementine for music, smplayer for videos (as subtitles work on that)
otherwise standard preinstalled stuff is fine Ktorrent for torrent downloads

couldn't get the following to work
VLC - no sound
tkinter for python just doesnt intsall
virtualmachine does not work an any of the above

if your used to windows opensuse kde is a good choice

note to create shortcuts to desktop right click desktop and unlock widgets
not immediately obvious at first

also can boot from a live usb version - which is how I got it on my netbook

but overall pleased with opensuse

P.S. the opensuse forums are a bit dull thats why i come on here but this is not enough to tempt me into reinstalling Ubuntu again

StephanG
August 18th, 2011, 06:23 PM
Do you run 4.7 ?

Yep :) Sure do!

Although, my screenshot is a little older...

But I actually meant that you can have two Muon's open at the same time. You can only install packages from one at a time, but you can browse for more games, for example, after you've started installing one. It's not really a big deal, because I think Ubuntu Software Centre also lets you browse while other things are installing, I've just found it annoying when Synaptic didn't want to open while I was upgrading my Ubuntu system in a terminal.

Although... Checking it again, I found that it was just my imagination. Synaptic also starts up without administrative privileges. I thought it was funny that it went back to that ancient behaviour... Sorry for the confusion.

And it is true that Muon isn't quite at Synaptic's level. It's still very young. But, I thought that it was fine for my needs. And doesn't look as atrociously horrible on Kubuntu as Synaptic.

A few things you might want to try out, that you can't do in Ubuntu:
1 - Middle click on a window titlebar, and drag it onto another titlebar.
2 - Press Alt + F2, and you should be able to find everything you need, whether its a document, a setting, or a program. Though, I'm not sure if full indexing is enabled by default. But if you want that, it's only a checkbox away.
3 - If you press Alt + F2, typing "wp:xxx" will open the default web browser, searching wikipedia for xxx. "gg:" will get you a google search. "yt:" a youtube search, and "ggi:" a google image search. Very nifty if you just want to do a quick search.
4 - Default applications. Before you install all the brilliant apps that everyone suggest, just check out the ones that come by default. You can always install clementine a few songs later, just give the music player that comes by default a try first. It's part of the "New Distro" experience. :guitar:

sffvba[e0rt
August 18th, 2011, 06:45 PM
I have seen a few people here mention that Kubuntu isn't the best of the KDE-based distro's out there... and until 11.04 I would have agreed with them. But since Natty Kubuntu stands on-par with any other KDE distro out there... They have a very solid KDE 4.6.x implementation (I can't say anything about 4.7 because I haven't tried it).

realzippy
August 18th, 2011, 07:40 PM
2nd K-day:
I am extremely impressed.

Uninstalled compiz, downgraded to 4.63, desktop effects by Kwin.
If someone told me earlier that KDE became fresh,fast and snappy,
I wouldn't have worried about my gnome-future so much.
No question,will boot in Kubuntu for a while...and watch
gshell/unity maturing.

Does anybody know how to move widgets/icons on the panel to get desired order?

Btw,muon indeed isn't that bad. :)
Noticed that package search is much faster compared to synaptic.

sffvba[e0rt
August 18th, 2011, 08:13 PM
2nd K-day:
I am extremely impressed.

Uninstalled compiz, downgraded to 4.63, desktop effects by Kwin.
If someone told me earlier that KDE became fresh,fast and snappy,
I wouldn't have worried about my gnome-future so much.
No question,will boot in Kubuntu for a while...and watch
gshell/unity maturing.

Does anybody know how to move widgets/icons on the panel to get desired order?

Btw,muon indeed isn't that bad. :)
Noticed that package search is much faster compared to synaptic.

Click in the bottom right corner (to get the menu to choose widgets)... Now all widgets can be moved ;)

realzippy
August 18th, 2011, 09:09 PM
Thanks again.
(was too gnome-brained:what-no-rightclick-move-icon-option?)

Any other useful genius tips?

ilovelinux33467
August 18th, 2011, 09:12 PM
Thanks again.
(was too gnome-brained:what-no-rightclick-move-icon-option?)

Any other useful genius tips?

Have you tried plasma activities?

realzippy
August 18th, 2011, 09:23 PM
Yes,of course,desktop activity was default after install,closed it,then wondered what this strange thing on the right was :-)
...little confused,already googled about it.
http://maketecheasier.com/use-kde-plasma-activities/2010/09/01

realzippy
August 18th, 2011, 09:49 PM
..just realizing that kinda animated desktop backround now works.
Never saw any use in CPU monitoring widgets,but in fullscreen they are
great!!!!!!!! :popcorn:

StephanG
August 19th, 2011, 12:07 PM
Hey! I haven't even thought of doing that! I've got to try that!

Oh, and I'm guessing based on your screenshot that you've already figured out how to change plasma themes. That nifty little "Get new themes" button, is everywhere! It can be a lot of fun to mix and match new window decorations, widget styles, colour schemes and plasma themes. Be brave, and clicketh on stuff!

realzippy
August 19th, 2011, 12:27 PM
Hey! I haven't even thought of doing that! I've got to try that!

..wasn't so seriously,but after I figured out how to set different wallpapers on each cube side,I kept this setting for 1 cube side...

Btw,do you use the cube?
If so,can you tell me what I might do wrong setting a backround image
(= skydome on compiz)?No matter which image I choose,it doesn't work...

StephanG
August 19th, 2011, 11:07 PM
In the Cube's settings you should be able to set "Background Wallpaper" or something. Although, if you meant the feature of compiz, where it wraps the background image into a dome around the cube, I'm sorry to say that it doesn't support that feature.

You can have shortcuts for a circular or cylindrical cube, but the background, as far as I understand remains static. Which is a petty, I always thought that was pretty cool about compiz.

But, I can understand why, because I found most background wallpapers looked a little off on it. And some looked VERY off.

But, for what it's worth, I've found this wallpaper to work great with KDE's cube, if you zoom it out a little: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_OPyD9vfIhCs/S9dPTPSu4EI/AAAAAAAAA28/MyB_FYhKp_8/s1600/snake-river-grand-teton-national-park-wyoming.jpg

hansdown
August 20th, 2011, 12:52 AM
On a side note, the 64bit torrent for Kubuntu 11.04 is active.

< fingers point at realzippy >

:)

realzippy
August 20th, 2011, 09:55 AM
In the Cube's settings you should be able to set "Background Wallpaper" or something.
Yeah,I know.(see sreenshot before).But for some reason,the image does not get loaded.Also tried your "snake-river" picture.Backround remains black.
I also tried to change the backround colour (default black),doesn't work.
Any idea?

Although, if you meant the feature of compiz, where it wraps the background image into a dome around the cube, I'm sorry to say that it doesn't support that feature.
You can have shortcuts for a circular or cylindrical cube, but the background, as far as I understand remains static. Which is a petty, I always thought that was pretty cool about compiz.
But, I can understand why, because I found most background wallpapers looked a little off on it. And some looked VERY off.
In compiz I used skydomes from flickr's equirectangular pool (http://www.flickr.com/groups/equirectangular/pool/page47/)
which are fantastic...

Another question:
Where can I manually rotate the cube?And where to set "zoom" for cube when rotating?Like here :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mw0n6WIH4Ac

StephanG
August 20th, 2011, 11:48 AM
I also tried to change the backround colour (default black),doesn't work.

Hmm... Interesting.

There is one thing I can think of. Ubuntu, has Unity, and if the graphics drivers aren't up to the job, it has Unity 2D, which is a completely different environment. KDE is different. It check which features your Graphics Card can support, and only activates those features. Are you using the proprietary drivers?

Although... That doesn't make any sense. If it can do the Cube, it should be able to do a simple wallpaper.

To change the cube's view distance, go to the Desktop Cube's settings, and click on the advanced tab. It should be there.

Try fiddling with the other settings in there, maybe something will let you change the wallpaper. Maybe try untoggling the "Show Caps" option, or else zooming out a little.

I've never had that problem, but I have had the panel lose its transparency, and then I've found increasing its height brings it back, and then I can drop it back to its original size. So, in short: Just fiddle a little.

Once you activate the Cube (Ctrl + F11 by default) you should be able to drag the cube with the mouse. The Advanced settings also has a "Close on Mouse release option" if you want. But I don't know if you can "Middle mouse click" on the wallpaper and drag the cube. What you CAN do, is set the pager to flip through the virtual desktops using a cube animation. Then rolling the mouse wheel over the desktop should turn the cube through the various desktops.

realzippy
August 20th, 2011, 12:09 PM
Thanks again!
When running ctrl+F11 I have the backround and zoom!!
Thought backround/zoom was there also when switching workspaces with
mousewheel..(as in compiz).

btw,I am testing on a laptop with Intel I3 integrated graphics,so no
proprietary drivers,but machine runs as hell...(if you can say this in English ;-) )
..guess Kwin needs less resources than compiz..

StephanG
August 20th, 2011, 01:31 PM
Thanks again!
When running ctrl+F11 I have the backround and zoom!!
Thought backround/zoom was there also when switching workspaces with
mousewheel..(as in compiz).

You're welcome. ^_^;

Now you can again rest safely in the knowledge that you can impress your friends if they stumble into the presence of you PC.

ilovelinux33467
August 20th, 2011, 01:37 PM
Yes,of course,desktop activity was default after install,closed it,then wondered what this strange thing on the right was :-)
...little confused,already googled about it.
http://maketecheasier.com/use-kde-plasma-activities/2010/09/01

Great! :). Plasma activities is one of my favourite features of KDE. I have an activity for home (just empty and no widgets), one for school (which has qalculate and some kalzium widgets on it) and one for testing out widgets. :)

realzippy
August 20th, 2011, 01:37 PM
Now you can again rest safely in the knowledge that you can impress your friends if they stumble into the presence of you PC.

Nah,
spinning the cube manually is relaxing,kinda zen ;-)
Also can't impress them since they all run linux...

realzippy
August 20th, 2011, 01:41 PM
Great! :). Plasma activities is one of my favourite features of KDE. I have an activity for home (just empty and no widgets), one for school (which has qalculate and some kalzium widgets on it) and one for testing out widgets. :)

+1
Yes,having independent desktops is a great advantage about gnome..
If I only knew this before...

SeijiSensei
August 20th, 2011, 03:10 PM
I'll throw in my two cents for adding Clementine and smplayer. I also install kubuntu-restricted-extras, Firefox, Thunderbird, and GIMP for starters as well. kcolorchooser can also be helpful if you do anything with graphics. I add handbrake from this repository (https://launchpad.net/~stebbins/+archive/handbrake-snapshots).

I've wanted a two-pane file manager for a long time. Thanks for kellemes for putting me on to krusader. I'll still use dolphin for simple file management tasks, but krusader looks like a winner when you want access to the source and target directories. Opening separate tabs in dolphin just doesn't make it.

realzippy
August 20th, 2011, 03:28 PM
Btw,I just noticed that gimp doesn 't work here. :confused: :confused:

me@mine:~$ gimp

(gimp:2788): GLib-WARNING **: /build/buildd/glib2.0-2.28.6/./glib/goption.c:2132: ignoring no-arg, optional-arg or filename flags (8) on option of type 0
Segmentation fault

????????

Ric_NYC
August 20th, 2011, 05:13 PM
Many updates available today.

I didn't see any difference yet.

Ichtyandr
August 20th, 2011, 06:45 PM
Btw,I just noticed that gimp doesn 't work here. :confused: :confused:

me@mine:~$ gimp

(gimp:2788): GLib-WARNING **: /build/buildd/glib2.0-2.28.6/./glib/goption.c:2132: ignoring no-arg, optional-arg or filename flags (8) on option of type 0
Segmentation fault

????????

Gimp does work on kubuntu, have a look here:
http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/index.php?topic=3116721.msg262098#msg262098

Ric_NYC
August 20th, 2011, 07:02 PM
Gimp does work on kubuntu, have a look here:
http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/index.php?topic=3116721.msg262098#msg262098

"There is a solution I found here about setting your gtk appearance to Raleigh, launch Gimp once, and then change back to whatever theme you were using before."

That works, but the bug needs to be fixed anyway.

realzippy
August 20th, 2011, 08:22 PM
Yes,I found this also,and have no idea what "Raleigh" means.
Guess it is not a theme's name ? :D

Ric_NYC
August 20th, 2011, 08:37 PM
Yes,I found this also,and have no idea what "Raleigh" means.
Guess it is not a theme's name ? :D

Do you remember this?

System Settings > Application Appearance > GTK+ Appearance

BigCityCat
August 20th, 2011, 09:37 PM
"There is a solution I found here about setting your gtk appearance to Raleigh, launch Gimp once, and then change back to whatever theme you were using before."

That works, but the bug needs to be fixed anyway.

or if you have qtcurve installed you can use that and it works.

realzippy
August 20th, 2011, 09:54 PM
Do you remember this?
:redface:

Perfect!Gimp is running..

akroev
August 21st, 2011, 10:42 AM
I hope for comments on my situation as well, since I'm looking to install a KDE-distro on my laptop.

My preferences re: KDE are as follows:

-No cube.

-No wobbling.

-I choose (and change) number of desktops.

-I can make the panel(s) go away normally, having it/them return as a response to a given mouse-pointer movement (I see no reason to waste screen space on a panel that I use 2 percent of the time).

And one function I used to use, and it is not needed, as such, it was just nice to have: I could minimize the current program, middle-click on the background, get a list of windows (sorted by their desktops), choose a window, and have the system change to that desktop and (then-maximized) window.

I do have one _requirement_, but I actually expect it to be reasonably simple to do: I need to use an external screen for finer graphical work (=photo), and this needs to be handled by the system.

My laptop? It's an Acer Extensa 5620.

Any comments will be appreciated - and I don't expect guarantees of accuracy, so if you "think" something, just say so...

TIA!

realzippy
August 21st, 2011, 10:54 AM
This all works.
..install kubuntu. ;-)
Also you could try the liveCD before...

ninjaaron
August 21st, 2011, 12:34 PM
Any thread about KDE distros needs to have a mention or two of the Chakra project. It's based on Arch, so it will always be up-to-date, and the idea is sort of to give the user the best possible KDE experience. It probably has a slightly higher learning curve than Kubuntu or openSUSE, but it's much simpler than strait Arch, and there is a nice GUI installer for the sissies out there. ;)

realzippy
August 21st, 2011, 12:57 PM
Original thread title is not about kde in general.
Please don't become offtopic.
Distro talk is made for non-ubuntu distros..
Btw,don't think chakra can do something what kubuntu can't.No sissies here. ;-)