PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Updates ??

rushabhhathi
August 17th, 2011, 10:52 AM
Hi,
I have just today installed Ubuntu 11.04.
I have heard that its an unstable version and I would like to know where do I get updates from.
Also I would like to know that has anyone been able to figure out unity/nvidia isue ?
Thanks

madjr
August 17th, 2011, 11:14 AM
hello, check here:

http://www.ubuntuvibes.com/2011/04/things-to-do-after-installing-new.html

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2011/04/10-things-to-do-after-installing-ubuntu-11-04/

CatKiller
August 17th, 2011, 12:48 PM
Welcome to the forums.

Not being a stable release doesn't mean that it's unstable. You get updates through the Update Manager.

I haven't had any problems with Unity on NVidia.

grahammechanical
August 17th, 2011, 02:03 PM
I most definitely do not agree that 11.04 is unstable.

Updates are basic to Ubuntu. I have been getting them since I first started using Ubuntu 7.04 down until now.

Click the shutdown button (top right) and select system Settings and click Update Manager.

Or, click the Ubuntu icon (top left) and in the Dash type Update and click on the Update Manager icon.

Then click Check. If there are any updates to be had then the Update Manager will tell you and you can choose to download them if you wish.

Also click Settings, enter your password, and tick the box marked Check for updates under the heading Automatic Updates and from the drop-down menu choose from Daily, Every two days, Weekly, Every fortnight. And Update manager will automatically check for updates according to the schedule that you have chosen and inform you if there are any updates.

As for your second question, the answer is Yes. This too has been figured out from before 11.04 was released. Do you not see the icon in the top panel that says Additional Drivers? This utility is also in System Settings. Activate the additional drivers on offer. You need an Internet connection for this to work.

Regards.

Frogs Hair
August 17th, 2011, 03:23 PM
11.04 has been running as well as 10.10 did since installation on release day . Some care needs to be taken setting up Compiz effects and there are many tutorials available .