PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Unity/Gnome

corowakid
August 17th, 2011, 09:30 AM
Hi all,

I've downloaded Ubuntu on a number of occasions going back to 8.04. But I'm stumped about the Unity/Gnome system area.

I've downloaded 11.04 Live CD and opted to "Try". What I see doesn't equate to what the website shows for the Unity Desktop, i.e. no Launcher, etc. It seems what I get is a Gnome variant. Is this what a download/try from CD shows the user? If I install, do I get Unity.

This is a dumb question, but I have even tried a magazine DVD with 6 Ubuntu variants, and specifying Ubuntu shows the same desktop as my download. Yet, the Kubuntu trial shows the new KDE desktop.

Am I missing a download step? Will I get Unity if I install? Any help/advice welcomed. I'm anxious to get going. Thanks.

androssofer
August 17th, 2011, 10:07 AM
Hi all,

I've downloaded Ubuntu on a number of occasions going back to 8.04. But I'm stumped about the Unity/Gnome system area.

I've downloaded 11.04 Live CD and opted to "Try". What I see doesn't equate to what the website shows for the Unity Desktop, i.e. no Launcher, etc. It seems what I get is a Gnome variant. Is this what a download/try from CD shows the user? If I install, do I get Unity.

This is a dumb question, but I have even tried a magazine DVD with 6 Ubuntu variants, and specifying Ubuntu shows the same desktop as my download. Yet, the Kubuntu trial shows the new KDE desktop.

Am I missing a download step? Will I get Unity if I install? Any help/advice welcomed. I'm anxious to get going. Thanks.

same happened to me, i downloaded the new ubuntu, put it on a vm and no unity... so thot: needs a live usb! made 1, fired it in... no unity :-(. but i knew i had a gd enuf graphics card, so no idea wot was wrong. (installed the drivers etc...).

so i just installed it normally and unity appeared! :-). so maybe install it and c wot happens...

***some peoples experiences may vary ;-) ***

mastablasta
August 17th, 2011, 12:40 PM
graphics card drivers are not installed or graphics card is not recognised or configured but might/will be upon install.

what card do you have?

grahammechanical
August 17th, 2011, 02:13 PM
The Ubuntu live CD does not contain proprietary drivers but only Open Source applications and drivers. This is a policy of the distributors of Ubuntu. If the Open Source video driver does not run your video card in 3D then the live session will be the usual Gnome session. From 11.10 onwards it will be Unity 2D.

When you install you will either get the usual Gnome session or Unity 2D. If there are proprietary drivers for your video card then an icon will appear in the top panel and you can activate that driver if you choose. You will need an Internet connect for this to work.

Some people will refuse for ethical reasons. This is why these proprietary drivers are not installed automatically but only on our direction.

After the driver has been downloaded and installed you should reboot. At the login screen you should click on your users name and from a menu on the bottom panel select Ubuntu. That is Ubuntu Unity 3D. And away you go.

Regards.

grahammechanical
August 17th, 2011, 02:16 PM
@androssofer

In the VM did you assign enough RAM to act as video memory?

Regards.

androssofer
August 17th, 2011, 02:38 PM
@androssofer

In the VM did you assign enough RAM to act as video memory?

Regards.

pritty sure I did... I'm usually very generous to my vms with reasources :) ... is deleted now tho as I hav it installed normally :-). so isnt a concern....