PDA

View Full Version : According to Google, I speak Slovak

ki4jgt
August 17th, 2011, 07:08 AM
I switched facebook's default to Esperanto and now, every page I visit in facebook, Google Chrome asks if I want to translate it from Slovak to English. Great job Google.

Erik1984
August 17th, 2011, 08:16 AM
Google knows best, you probably are Slovakian ;)

Legendary_Bibo
August 17th, 2011, 08:45 AM
I use 1337.

Paqman
August 17th, 2011, 08:52 AM
Great job Google.

Wow, they knew you spoke Slovak even before you did. Spooky!

ninjaaron
August 17th, 2011, 03:27 PM
I switched facebook's default to Esperanto [...]

Why am I not surprised?

whatthefunk
August 17th, 2011, 03:38 PM
If google tells you you speak slovak, you better start studying.

Or...

What region is you computer set to? Do you accept cookies from google? Do you login to google with a facebook account or something similar?

sffvba[e0rt
August 17th, 2011, 05:30 PM
The all powerful Google knows all, sees all...

AllenGG
August 17th, 2011, 07:37 PM
So, 4 oh 4 that leads to the big question:
Has go-o-o-o-o-o-o-ogle become infinitely too large ?

We all use it. many of us use "the cloud version" , so mabe I really do speak Croation ???
Pero ¿por qué cambiar cosas?

ki4jgt
August 17th, 2011, 08:27 PM
If google tells you you speak slovak, you better start studying.

Or...

What region is you computer set to? Do you accept cookies from google? Do you login to google with a facebook account or something similar?

My region is the USA and language is English. Google Chrome keeps trying to translate FB for me. It's not "Hey, you're on Google now, let me give you the correct version of our page." It's "You're on Facebook and we don't recognize your language, so we're gonna guess you speak Slovak." I know they don't offer Esperanto translations, but they could at least build in triggers which tell Google Chrome that it's an actual language and I don't need it translated :-(

BeRoot ReBoot
August 17th, 2011, 09:31 PM
I switched facebook's default to Esperanto and now, every page I visit in facebook, Google Chrome asks if I want to translate it from Slovak to English. Great job Google.

If you're going to use a useless constructed language, at least learn one with actual geek cred like Lojban, Klingon or Quenya.

ki4jgt
August 17th, 2011, 11:14 PM
If you're going to use a useless constructed language, at least learn one with actual geek cred like Lojban, Klingon or Quenya.

I like Esperanto thanks though. It's latin base allows me to learn it faster.

whatthefunk
August 18th, 2011, 01:20 AM
I like Esperanto thanks though. It's latin base allows me to learn it faster.

And then you can go to Esperantistan and meet all the locals?

Oh, and there must be some way to turn off translations in Chrome...

ki4jgt
August 18th, 2011, 04:54 AM
There is, but I frequently use it for other languages. I've tried the don't translate for slovak option, but then it ask me if I want to translate from some other language when I visit another Esperanto page.

smellyman
August 18th, 2011, 08:37 AM
Google knows more about you than you know of yourself.

ninjaaron
August 18th, 2011, 02:09 PM
It is sort of interesting that this happened, since The creator of Esperanto was a native speaker of another Slavic language.

I'd like to think that there is something about the structure or phonetics of the language that Google recognises and finds comparable to Slovak, but I sort of doubt that. Must be the fact that the caron diacritic is used almost exclusively in the southern Slovakian languages (well, also Turkish and a few other Asian languages that have adopted Latinized alphabets... and the scientific transcriptions of certain sounds in languages that use different writing systems).

As admittedly lame as it is, I can't quite stop harbouring this secret fascination with Esperanto as the most widely spoken synthetic language in the world. There are some interesting things going on there from a linguistic perspective.

(and nobody come in here and say that modern Hebrew is a synthetic language. It's made of real Hebrew and Aramaic works and real grammar from Yiddish. It actually has an unbroken chain of literary history dating back ~1000BC, even though it ceased to have native speakers for around 1700 years)