PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu Mobile

as2000
August 17th, 2011, 04:41 AM
Thoughts? Ideas? I am not aware of any open source handsets that could possibly be viable. Android is open source, so why not a competitor to that market?

kaldor
August 17th, 2011, 05:01 AM
There used to be Ubuntu MID.

Snowboi
August 17th, 2011, 05:09 AM
By mobile do you mean such as cell phones and handheld devices?
Yes there is not much focus on porting ubuntu to cellphones from what i know. Why? well maybe since compared to other mobile operating systems it is quiet clunky. If anything Lubuntu or xubuntu come closest in the ubuntu family.

ranjank
August 17th, 2011, 07:42 AM
Kubuntu Mobile coming this October.

jprobe
August 17th, 2011, 02:51 PM
kubuntu mobile coming this october.

^yay!^ \\:D/

ninjaaron
August 17th, 2011, 03:30 PM
There are other open source mobile OS's. MeeGo, Maemo and Symbian are all open source.

I believe Maemo was originally based on Ubuntu, but I could be wrong about that.

Meego is awesome. You can basically put anything on it that comes in an rpm package, which is pretty much every Linux program.

Evil-Ernie
August 17th, 2011, 03:44 PM
kubuntu mobile coming this october.

+1

akand074
August 17th, 2011, 04:04 PM
I just looked up Kubuntu Mobile. Looks kind of sleek. It's nice. However, that said I don't know where it will go in the mobile market. I mean there is already Android and WebOS, even iOS. Kubuntu won't have very much touch friendly applications. I mean I wouldn't use any of my applications I'm already using so they'd need to redevelop all their main applications to a touch/small screen friendly environment and you'd also have to incite developer interest to even make future applications for that platform. It's not a trivial task and it will take a lot of work and resources (i.e developing SDK and other developer tools as well) and competing with ever growing and rapid innovation from platforms like Android. If Kubuntu/Ubuntu any other current desktop OS wants to extend to the mobile market, if they start right now it'll be a few years to come of hard work before they'd even see themselves successfully competing in the market. I mean look at Android, it was bought out by Google in 2005 and has been in development and I didn't even hear about it until two years ago and it wasn't even very big then. Now it's massive and has huge developer interest.

That's basically why there is no competitor in the market. I mean the mobile market is already starting to saturate. There is Android (open source), WebOS (open-source kernel), iOS, Blackberry QNX (meh..), Windows Phone 7 (probably see it boom in the coming future). There is a lot of choices, most of which are really good products.

drawkcab
August 17th, 2011, 06:56 PM
I couldn't imagine kubuntu running on my phone as it brings my atom netbook to a stand still. Maybe a stripped-down version of it might be nice on the more powerful tablets that are starting to appear.

FlameReaper
August 18th, 2011, 12:18 AM
There are other open source mobile OS's. MeeGo, Maemo and Symbian are all open source.

I believe Maemo was originally based on Ubuntu, but I could be wrong about that.

Meego is awesome. You can basically put anything on it that comes in an rpm package, which is pretty much every Linux program.

I applaud Nokia for not being mainstream enough to warrant Android OSes to come into every new Nokia I'll see in the market. I don't care if the mainstream cellphone users laugh at Nokia, I love what they (Nokia) are doing.

Although, Symbian is now on a proprietary shared-source model since April 5 this year, and they're migrating from it into... Windows Phone 7 (Anyone wants to go ahead with a boo?).

By the way. Maemo is based on Debian. Or don't tell me you forgot that Debian exists... j/k :lolflag:

I'm planning to go and buy a second-hand N900 today soon, I hope the store owner still has it :)

Although I am still afraid of Meego... first is because of rhetorics (personally, I like the name "Maemo" better than "Meego" ) and because... I don't really feel comfortable with RPM packages somehow.

Johnb0y
August 18th, 2011, 12:31 AM
just for info... :p

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubuntu_Mobile

Johnb0y
August 18th, 2011, 12:33 AM
just for info... :p

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubuntu_Mobile

p.s. http://people.canonical.com/~ogra/mobile/

IWantFroyo
August 18th, 2011, 12:48 AM
Thoughts? Ideas? I am not aware of any open source handsets that could possibly be viable. Android is open source, so why not a competitor to that market?

Google has a very large name, lots of money, and isn't afraid to advertise. Even if we could make something better, Google has a name and a lot of money to back it. Just like Microsoft with their Windows platform.

as2000
August 18th, 2011, 04:16 AM
By mobile do you mean such as cell phones and handheld devices?

Yep. That is what I meant. I thought I read somewhere that there was a open source device (ie: phone) that you could put the os of choice on. I have see the linux iterations of mobile phone software and was not all that interested in them. Ubuntu may be clunky, but I am sure it can be streamlined and made to work smoothly.

Although there was as I remember, a phone with linux software on it for sale. I don't remember the name or who made it. It did have an ad and showed the device.

Damn my fading memory! :(

NightwishFan
August 18th, 2011, 04:23 AM
QT is actually good for mobile from what I have seen and they are currently making a big push toward it in KDE with a new plasma interface.

I can run a normal KDE desktop (not Kubuntu but a 32-bit kde-plasma-desktop based on Debian) in a virtual machine with 400mb ram. Stripped probably a lot less. I hear KDE will have opengl es support as well.

dmizer
August 18th, 2011, 05:38 AM
Damn my fading memory! :(

Openmoko's FreeRunner? (http://www.openmoko.com/)