PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] cannot find Ubuntu installed with windows 7

dutchie26
August 17th, 2011, 03:51 AM
Hi I followed the directions installing ubuntu along side windows 7.

I reached "installation complete you need to restart the computer"
So I did, expecting some type of dual boot menu to pop up. nothing!
computer just boots straight into windows without a howdy do or anything. Cannot find any evidence of the install other than the drive it was installed to is now smaller (due to the partition ubuntu performed I assume)

can any one help me find my Ubuntu now that I have it installed?

regards

Dutchie

elgordodude
August 17th, 2011, 04:10 AM
Did you install with wubi or a live cd?

How much did the drive change?

oldfred
August 17th, 2011, 04:51 AM
Welcome to the forums.

+1 on elgordodude questions, but if you are not sure of what is where run this from liveCD:

Boot Info Script courtesy of forum members meierfra & Gert Hulselmans
Page with instructions and download:
http://bootinfoscript.sourceforge.net/
Paste contents of results.txt in a New Reply, then highlight entire file and click on # in edit panel(code tags) to make it easier to read.
Or You can generate the tags first by pressing the # icon in the New Reply Edit toolbar and then paste the contents between the generated [ code] paste here [ /code] tags.
V60 has improved formating and requires code tags to make it legible. New Version is a zip file that you have to extract to get .sh to run.

bcbc
August 17th, 2011, 06:39 AM
You can try this:
Right click on Computer, properties, advanced system settings, startup & recovery.... if the time to display operating systems is set at zero, change it to 15.

I'm assuming you installed in Windows, if not, disregard.

dutchie26
August 17th, 2011, 04:58 PM
Thanks everyone but after doing some reading and seeing the amount of work needed to get everything running smoothly ie dual monitors, dual boot, network setup plus printer setup etc I deleted the partition and will stick it out with windoze. I don't have the time or inclination to be setting this thing up as needed. I was under the mistaken illusion that everything would kind of take care of itself. (I know, how is that possible!)

regards

Dutchie

Rex Bouwense
August 17th, 2011, 05:54 PM
Sorry that it didn't work out for you but perhaps you can try it again sometime. I first tried Ubuntu many years ago and had been a Windows user for years. I decided that it was too steep a learning curve and abandoned it. In 2008 I tried it again and now I am using Ubuntu as my only OS and have been for over three years. Ubuntu (Linux) is not necessarily harder but different from the Microsoft OS. Good luck to you.:popcorn:

Mark Phelps
August 17th, 2011, 07:29 PM
... ie dual monitors, dual boot, network setup plus printer setup etc ...I was under the mistaken illusion that everything would kind of take care of itself

NOT picking an argument with you -- as this is basically true -- but in all fairness to Linux distros, with the exception of Wired networking (which generally works by default in Linux), you have to manually set up ALL these other things when you install a new Windows OS, as well.

That said, the PROCESS of setting these up in Linux distros does tend to be different, and in some cases, involve more work, than in MS Windows.

Just telling you this because, these other things are most likely STILL going to require manual setup -- regardless of when you come back to Linux.

pi.boy.travis
August 17th, 2011, 10:26 PM
My dual monitors, network, and printer all work automatically on all of my computers but one with Ubuntu. . . It takes me 2 hours or more to install Windows and configure all of that, plus install all the applications such that the computer is usable, unlike Ubuntu which is usable out-of-the-box.